Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos vs. Oasys (information only, no complaining/requests)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maphill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original post updated.

Thanks for the additional helpful data.

Keep it coming...

Mark.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Gibbs wrote:
Based on the specs and the video I would trade my Oasys for a Kronos in a heartbeat.

I am sure you could sell your OASYS for a price that would allow you to have enough money to buy the Kronos.

The last time I looked used OASYS models still sold in the $3,500 - $4,000 range.
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Jeff Gibbs wrote:
Based on the specs and the video I would trade my Oasys for a Kronos in a heartbeat.

I am sure you could sell your OASYS for a price that would allow you to have enough money to buy the Kronos.

The last time I looked used OASYS models still sold in the $3,500 - $4,000 range.

Let's hope that holds.
Everything in my rig (including the O76) is for sale.

~M
Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
StudioOne Pro | Spectrasonics Omnisphere | Trilian
Cinematic Guitars | EZ Drummer | Steve Slate Drums
Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-
When selling your O...you forget one thing, the O is up against a new competitor - The Kronos. Why would I buy a used O when I can get a brand new Kronos that is superior to the O? We all know the spec now. Its a no brainer.

Im keeping my O and buying an 88 Kronos. Im not saying everyone can do that. But...think about it. You're in a music shop, hypothetically speaking, and you see a second hand O sitting next to a Kronos, you test drive each one, the Kronos has the extra 2 piano engines, it has Set List SST...etc. They are both selling, for example, at $4k...Which one will you buy?

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and it is new, has warranty, spare parts will most likely be longer available and I am sure we could find many more points for KRONOS. You are right Billy, it is a no brainer as long as both share the same sonic quality.

Peter
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
it is a no brainer as long as both share the same sonic quality.
Peter

That's the point: do they actually have the same sonic quality?

And even if they do: do the other benefits of Kronos justify buying one if you have already spent your money on an Oasys? If I'd play live I'd say yes. But in a studio environment? I dont think so.

Perhaps a nice Logic-integration could justify that. But I haven't seen any demos of this yet. And I'm a bit concerned about Korg's philosophy on keeping things up to date: will I be able to have the Kronos run as a plug-in 3 years under a new MacOS and Logic 11? Wink

If the sonic quality is the same - that is: Kronos is NOT better than the Oasys - I'd rather spend 4000€ on other things than an handlingwise improved Oasys.

Last edited by Charlie on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
-
When selling your O...you forget one thing, the O is up against a new competitor - The Kronos. Why would I buy a used O when I can get a brand new Kronos that is superior to the O? We all know the spec now. Its a no brainer.

Depends on why you're buying.
The O definitely has a better build spec; more inputs, phantom power, the extra LED, drum pads, larger HD, 76 semi-weighted keys (for people like McHale Razz ) etc.

For me, I need the improved USB integration, so it makes sense to change.
But if you're planning on using the extra features of the O, it's not so cut and dry.
Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
StudioOne Pro | Spectrasonics Omnisphere | Trilian
Cinematic Guitars | EZ Drummer | Steve Slate Drums
Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344
panteli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Does Kronos mean new updates for OASYS? Reply with quote

Hi there,

If Kronos and OASYS share so many thinsg in common (Basically Kronos is a cut down newer version of OASYS) does this mean that when goods are released for Kronos we will be a able to use them on the OASYS?
maphill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Kronos mean new updates for OASYS? Reply with quote

panteli wrote:
Hi there,

If Kronos and OASYS share so many thinsg in common (Basically Kronos is a cut down newer version of OASYS) does this mean that when goods are released for Kronos we will be a able to use them on the OASYS?

Since the development on the OASYS is closed and we already know that PCG for KRONOS won't work on OASYS, almost assuredly the answer to your question is "no."

Mark.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Kronos mean new updates for OASYS? Reply with quote

panteli wrote:
(Basically Kronos is a cut down newer version of OASYS)

Only the polyphony is a bit lower and physical controls lack LEDs. But everything else is a step up. It's not really "cut-down".
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Kronos mean new updates for OASYS? Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
panteli wrote:
(Basically Kronos is a cut down newer version of OASYS)

Only the polyphony is a bit lower and physical controls lack LEDs. But everything else is a step up. It's not really "cut-down".

I think the hardware looks a lot cheaper. The loss of pads and certain IO features reflect this too.
But the software is upgraded with these two amazing new synth engines, amongst other things, so it really is some kind of tradeoff.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
sirCombatWombat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs. Oasys Reply with quote

maphill wrote:
- KRONOS records audio in 24 bits, OASYS does 16 bits. NOTE: KRONOS internal sampling resolution is 16 bits.

When I read this I remembered a discussion about the subject:

danatkorg wrote:
Charlie wrote:
Edit: Did I get this right - Oasys is 24 bit internally - but you cannot export 24 bit?!?

32-bit internally, actually.

I concur with Daz: best to either go digitally, or use the analog outputs with a good A/D on the computer side.

- Dan

So if the info on Kronos is correct, OASYS does actually have significantly better internal resolution. Or am I mixing up engine resolution and sample resolution?

Current hardware:
OASYS 88 (EXs1-3, STR-1, LAC-1, MOD-7, EXb-DI), Haken Continuum (½), Alesis A6 Andromeda, Novation Supernova II ProX, Doepfer A-100 BS2, PC, 220lbs Anvil, 3.3lbs Hammer.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part exchange is what i do a lot, and i've had a much sucess with this, from a convenience point of view (no ebay selling hassle), and good deals them selves.

I had a Roland Piano (KR577), and I KNEW i wasn't going to get much more than £800-£1000 in a sale. So then, i embarked on some p/x deals and sought to see which was best..

In the end (long story short) i brought it from a popular shop (bonners), and the OASYS 88 was a demo model. So with it being a demo model, tthey knocked £400 off (new it was £5399 i think), AND included the 2 gig ram also.

I was offered £1200 for my roland piano (far more than i thought, and probably because they wanted a sale since i was mentioning other places) so i got tHE OASYS 88 for £3799 (£3999 for the OASYS, minus £1200 for my piano which wouldn't have fetched that second hand) I also had a pair of fostex monitors (pm1 mark II), a quik lok stand,pedals, and a stand to sit on - and those were discounted. in the end i probably got the O for even less......

So; different people have different ways of getting their sale(s). Maybe with the new KRONOS, you can "haggle" a little if the price isn't fixed, or ask them to sort you a case/stand/bag/pedal(s) etc into the mix.

just a few thoughts:)

JOHN 3:16
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring a piece of gear to the US, go to the nearest Guitar Center and watch how much they try to steal it from you....They're worse crooks than the pawn shops and I thought they were bad! Ebay or craigslist is the best option here....

AnthonyB wrote:
Part exchange is what i do a lot, and i've had a much sucess with this, from a convenience point of view (no ebay selling hassle), and good deals them selves.

I had a Roland Piano (KR577), and I KNEW i wasn't going to get much more than £800-£1000 in a sale. So then, i embarked on some p/x deals and sought to see which was best..

In the end (long story short) i brought it from a popular shop (bonners), and the OASYS 88 was a demo model. So with it being a demo model, tthey knocked £400 off (new it was £5399 i think), AND included the 2 gig ram also.

I was offered £1200 for my roland piano (far more than i thought, and probably because they wanted a sale since i was mentioning other places) so i got tHE OASYS 88 for £3799 (£3999 for the OASYS, minus £1200 for my piano which wouldn't have fetched that second hand) I also had a pair of fostex monitors (pm1 mark II), a quik lok stand,pedals, and a stand to sit on - and those were discounted. in the end i probably got the O for even less......

So; different people have different ways of getting their sale(s). Maybe with the new KRONOS, you can "haggle" a little if the price isn't fixed, or ask them to sort you a case/stand/bag/pedal(s) etc into the mix.

just a few thoughts:)
SoulBe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a similar threat going on in the OASYS section, so I repost the following here as well:

Hi,

after reading the specs and looking at the demos I come to the conclusion that Kronos is not interesting for me as an OASYS user.

Apart from the new piano-/epiano-models and a better usability I cannot see such a huge advantage to invest in a Kronos, esp it has nearly the similar synth modules in it and should not sound much better than the O.

And as far as the OASYS cannot load Kronos sounds hmmm, that´s a pity, but the engines are the same, so a mastermind (Daz !!!! where are you?) may write a converting program.

And maybe after a while Korg remembers that there are some OASYS users that were willig to pay for new synth models and we get the already developed models for a fee, we´ll see.

I´ll wait what will be the answer to Kronos from Yamaha and Roland, now they are under really big pressure, maybe we´ll see vst integration or or or....

just my 2c

Regards
SoulBe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: