Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos vs. Oasys (information only, no complaining/requests)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

The list being maintained in the first post of this thread is pretty good. The new sample management features are noteworthy as well, IMO. In re sound quality, algorithms for OASYS-derived features are the same, and ADCs and DACs are the same.

Best regards,

- Dan

OMG!!! SAME D/A Converters?! YES!

That made me SUPER happy! I want that KRONOS even MORE now!

WOW!

I KNEW it sounded as good as the OASYS!

Thank You Korg!

Sina

I agree. That's a BIG point.

Note to maphill: under "Known Similarities," you should definitely put the following: "Same Analog/Digital and Digital/Analog Converters (source: danatkorg)". For many prospective buyers, this will be crucial information
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me this is not only a big point - it is THE point! Laughing

I view it like this: for people owning an Oasys already but using it mainly in their studio there's no real need for a Kronos. Perhaps an excellent DAW-integration might justify it - provided it is supported for a "long" time. If it's not so well integrated and/or not supported for a "long" time ... well, in this case I hardly find any reason to get a Kronos except one is playing live all the time (in that case one would prefer less weight, streaming, seamless switching between sounds, great stage piano both acoustic and electric etc.)

People having no Oasys: go and get a Kronos, if you can afford it (88 keys is still quite expensive - but much cheaper than Oasys used to be) and are still in hardware synths. And I bet it's a hell of a keyboard on stage! Twisted Evil

I expect Kronos to be a big seller for Korg. So most likely it will have several spin offs: low-cost versions and improved versions in 2-3 years (more mermory, streaming of customer samples etc.). And other manufacturers will follow with similar concepts - provided they have created such fine synth-engines as Korg has done. If not, they'll throw in streaming and seamless switching at least too. Wink
SoulBe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
For me this is not only a big point - it is THE point! Laughing

I view it like this: for people owning an Oasys already but using it mainly in their studio there's no real need for a Kronos. Perhaps an excellent DAW-integration might justify it - provided it is supported for a "long" time. If it's not so well integrated and/or not supported for a "long" time ... well, in this case I hardly find any reason to get a Kronos except one is playing live all the time (in that case one would prefer less weight, streaming, seamless switching between sounds, great stage piano both acoustic and electric etc.)

People having no Oasys: go and get a Kronos, if you can afford it (88 keys is still quite expensive - but much cheaper than Oasys used to be) and are still in hardware synths. And I bet it's a hell of a keyboard on stage! Twisted Evil

I expect Kronos to be a big seller for Korg. So most likely it will have several spin offs: low-cost versions and improved versions in 2-3 years (more mermory, streaming of customer samples etc.). And other manufacturers will follow with similar concepts - provided they have created such fine synth-engines as Korg has done. If not, they'll throw in streaming and seamless switching at least too. Wink

+1

For OASYSANS the Kronos is a polished OASYS, for all other it brings a superb sound quality and synth engines- even when they are not new apart from 2 models - to users.

regards
SoulBe
FRETPICK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is missing dark stage LED lights which of course helps with the cost on the other hand it could leave a gap for _____________.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
for people owning an Oasys already but using it mainly in their studio there's no real need for a Kronos...

...I hardly find any reason to get a Kronos except one is playing live all the time (in that case one would prefer less weight, streaming, seamless switching between sounds, great stage piano both acoustic and electric etc.)

I agree with you and SoulBe.

But what about people who are using OASYS in the studio and also on stage (because of many reasons including quality) as the only one instrument, while having a relatively limited MI budget. Me, for example. Very Happy

Strictly poetic (!) questions: Should I buy MOD-7 (and MS20-EX) at last and enjoy them? Should I wait for their discount? Should I keep the O until she lasts? Should I wait for new options for the OASYS? Should I sell the OASYS Shocked Crying or Very sad (brrrr.....a nightmare) and add extra money to buy Kronos?

I love the OASYS as it is.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:

But what about people who are using OASYS in the studio and also on stage (because of many reasons including quality) as the only one instrument, while having a relatively limited MI budget. Me, for example. Very Happy

Do you have a valid reason to buy anything new if you already have the O? I mean, there are a couple of nice complement keyboards to it and pretty much everyone will probably have a suggestion for that, but if you have the O and it's working great, I can see no valid reason to change that.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:

Do you have a valid reason to buy anything new if you already have the O? I mean, there are a couple of nice complement keyboards to it and pretty much everyone will probably have a suggestion for that, but if you have the O and it's working great, I can see no valid reason to change that.

No, you know, I'm very satisfied with the OASYS. I use it for everything. (I'm just like a violinist with his only Stradivarius. Smile )
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:

No, you know, I'm very satisfied with the OASYS. I use it for everything. (I'm just like a violinist with his only Stradivarius. Smile )

Then stop asking and go playing! I can hear those 16ths being out of rhythm and triplets being just awful when you play them all the way over here! Practice!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

P.S. Get a Trinity as a companion if you want something from Korg Smile If not, something Kurzweilish. K2xxx rack or PC3K. Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:

Then stop asking and go playing!...

Laughing

Yes, yes, you are absolutely right! Wink

You know, I don't want to ask too much here, I'm just interested like anybody else, and there are certain points to clarify. After this we can return to playing music. (What's happening to us since NAMM started?)
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:

Yes, yes, you are absolutely right! Wink
You know, I don't want to ask too much here, I'm just interested like anybody else, and there are certain points to clarify. After this we can return to playing music. (What's happening to us since NAMM started?)

Haha Smile You know that I was kidding so I'm at peace with that. Smile

In terms of MOD-7, LAC and other stuff... Don't know what to tell you. I use LAC extensively, MOD-7 a bit less so, but still do. If you decide to buy them, you'll probably become hooked on the OASYS again, although you already are. It's like re-descovering what you love about something or someone. For me, LAC is like a small piece of heaven Smile

We've all gone to hell and back, that's what happened to us Smile
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
You know that I was kidding so I'm at peace with that. Smile

Sure! I liked that joke! Very Happy

vEddY wrote:
In terms of MOD-7, LAC and other stuff... Don't know what to tell you. I use LAC extensively, MOD-7 a bit less so, but still do. If you decide to buy them, you'll probably become hooked on the OASYS again, although you already are. It's like re-descovering what you love about something or someone. For me, LAC is like a small piece of heaven Smile

I'm in love with FM sounds generally. I already know which are my favourites from the MOD-7 factory soundset and the extras. I just don't like the repetitive fading... Very Happy

vEddY wrote:
We've all gone to hell and back, that's what happened to us Smile

I think so. Laughing
SoulBe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Akos,

you re rising a valid question. What to do if you don´t have all options ...

I have all the options in my O ´cos I play different music styles from Soul/Funk to Rock to ProgMetal in different bands and the O covers all.

But to be honest, if you have to decide paying for all options or getting a Kronos ... I really don´t know. At last I think this is also a bit of a emotional decision.... Someone stated that as a musician you have a kind of relationship with your instrument. I definitevly feel other - better - when playing the O live than my motif es Wink. So under that sight I think I would choose the O and maybe I´m also one of those who hope that the closed "open system" reopens again sometimes ..... What about the Exs 4, 5 etc in the Kronos? I mean they even kept the brass expansion as Exs3, so maybe there is the possibility to provide something for the O...

best regards
SoulBe
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:

I'm in love with FM sounds generally. I already know which are my favourites from the MOD-7 factory soundset and the extras. I just don't like the repetitive fading... Very Happy

Then get some cash and buy it. I sincerely doubt that you'll ever get it for free. It would be a very malicious thing to do to the users who already bought it and I think that this is a nobrainer - won't happen, ever. It's logical. Smile

Then, send us a postcard from time to time because you will be gone for awhile Smile
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing something possibly a bit odd right now...

Going back through my saved sequences and just playing them all...

Yeah, I don't play the O enough anymore...Man, this thing is amazing!

Very Happy
Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
StudioOne Pro | Spectrasonics Omnisphere | Trilian
Cinematic Guitars | EZ Drummer | Steve Slate Drums
Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: