Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos vs. Oasys (information only, no complaining/requests)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
questions: Should I buy MOD-7 (and MS20-EX) at last and enjoy them? Should I wait for their discount? Should I keep the O until she lasts? Should I wait for new options for the OASYS? Should I sell the OASYS Shocked Crying or Very sad (brrrr.....a nightmare) and add extra money to buy Kronos?

I love the OASYS as it is.

Sometimes I wonder what planet you're from?
You don't have MOD-7 or MS20?
(Please don't tell me you have that brass&woodwind thing?)

I think, Akos, for your *most* value for money:
Sell your Oasys, use the money to buy the Kronos, you will get ALL engines and much more, for free (and RH3 keybed:) )

Otherwise, you must pay 249USD(X2) for the two engines.

But, if you dont want the Kronos, then I recommend HIGHLY that you should wait, because by some miracle (and your ever-lasting optimism) perhaps Korg will release that for free now?

At least wait until we hear more or less officially on the status of the Oasys add-ons.
SoulBe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Blue wrote:
Doing something possibly a bit odd right now...

Going back through my saved sequences and just playing them all...

Yeah, I don't play the O enough anymore...Man, this thing is amazing!

Very Happy

Very Happy Same here, I also went through my OASYS banks which I did not for some times and discovered again so much beautiful things .....

Regards
SoulBe
Dr. Who

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
For me this is not only a big point - it is THE point! Laughing

Here here! +10

Two biggest questions were how much will it cost and what does it sound like. Looks like Korg got it right on both ends.
Dr. Who

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
Yes, yes, you are absolutely right! Wink

You know, I don't want to ask too much here, I'm just interested like anybody else, and there are certain points to clarify. After this we can return to playing music. (What's happening to us since NAMM started?)

So... Akos, to get this straight you use your OASYS in the studio and on stage? You gig with it???? Shocked Wow... I can't imagine lugging my 88 key around anywhere. That's gotta be an impressive sight.

OK so you don't have two mods, personally if the sound quality is the same I'd seriously look at resale value for your OASYS and into purchasing a Kronos. You'll be spending $500 dollars for two mods that come free with a brand new still under warranty and Korg supported Kronos. Depending upon resale you might even have some money left over for another board (perhaps a dirty analog). Just my 2 cents.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Who wrote:

So... Akos, to get this straight you use your OASYS in the studio and on stage? You gig with it???? Shocked Wow... I can't imagine lugging my 88 key around anywhere. That's gotta be an impressive sight.

For what is worth, I do, for almost six years now. 88 model as well. It's not the question of weight, it's the sound quality and the fact that some people prefer 88-key synths with piano action Smile And more possibilities to layer/split sounds because of that, of course Smile

And yes, it's an impressive sight. Especially when they turn off the lights at place where I play. It's really something unique and special.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Who wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:
Yes, yes, you are absolutely right! Wink

You know, I don't want to ask too much here, I'm just interested like anybody else, and there are certain points to clarify. After this we can return to playing music. (What's happening to us since NAMM started?)

OK so you don't have two mods, personally if the sound quality is the same I'd seriously look at resale value for your OASYS and into purchasing a Kronos. You'll be spending $500 dollars for two mods that come free with a brand new still under warranty and Korg supported Kronos. Depending upon resale you might even have some money left over for another board (perhaps a dirty analog). Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I'm one of the few who gig with OASYS. This is one of the best things (except the weight). OASYS sounds and looks gorgeous.

Please have a look at my band's website or watch this video for example.

To solve the transportation problem I've just bought a new hard case a week ago. I already had another very good case (RoadReady RRKB88W) but I still found it too heavy with OASYS inside (a 60-kg package). Very Happy

So I decided to buy a new case. I have found one in Thomann webstore (I recommend them - perfect service.) It's a custom case designed very cleverly. Nice and fits like a glove. A bit lighter than the RoadReady case, there are 2-2 grips on each ends (instead of 1-1 grips on RoadReady), finally the upper half is detachable - so I don't have to take the OASYS out of the case. You can find more pictures of the case here, or look at this one from my home studio:

P.S. Sorry for posting this here. There are already many threads about "transportation", "hard case", "flight case" etc. in OASYS section - I couldn't choose the right place. I think this may be helpful here, because soon we will have threads about this issue in Kronos section as well. Many people will gig with Kronos!

Update: I've just found this old thread about the same hard case. Very Happy
SoulBe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Akos,

nice pictures.

I really cannot understand why people are so afraid of gigging with OASYS. I do since I got mine O76 and it does fine for more than 2 years now. Why should I own the best synth and the best surface when not gigging live with it? BTW I also got my case from Thomann and it does work very fine.

best regards
SoulBe
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

SoulBe wrote:
Why should I own the best synth and the best surface when not gigging live with it?

Absolutely agree.

OK, if somebody wants to use O in the studio but he doesn't need all the sounds on stage then it's another story.

SoulBe wrote:
BTW I also got my case from Thomann and it does work very fine.

So you've got the same case? Great, I'm glad I chose well.
Dr. Who

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos,

Great vid. Let me tell you why (I'm sure you want to know Smile ) I HAAAATE that song! You guys managed to make it sound not good but great! I listened the whole way through and even found myself tapping my foot. Great job guys! I'll check out your website. Why havent I with all the lurking I do in the OASYS forum???

OK so the Kronos looks pretty nice, but man... the Big O is a sexy beast on stage and in video. For me I'm pretty much studio based but the sheer wieght of the 88 key keeps me from wanting to move it at all. Not to mention synths smelling of smoke etc.I guess I'm like the over protective parent and the OASYS is like the child I never let play outside for fear of abduction by some unknown evil force. Very Happy That is an awesome case BTW. Very cool.

To all the live OASYS users out there Cool Rock On! Cool You guys have somethign in common with Jordan Rudess!
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many buttons, switches etc are set aside on the Kronus for Karma..? Same as M3 etc..?
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:

Please have a look at my band's website or watch this video for example.

I'm impressed! Great songs and videos. Very Happy
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
How many buttons, switches etc are set aside on the Kronus for Karma..? Same as M3 etc..?

Basically same as OASYS, when in KARMA/RT mode you have:

8 Sliders for Real-Time Control
8 Switches for Real-Time Control
8 Switches for selecting scenes
KARMA On/Off
KARMA Latch
KARMA Module Control Select (M,A,B,C,D)

You are missing the chord assign button (and pads), which instead appear on-screen in the Pads editing page.

Michael Blue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simply amazing to have you here answering questions, Stephen!

Any idea how soon we can be looking at KRONOS videos on your site?

Pray Sounds Good
Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
StudioOne Pro | Spectrasonics Omnisphere | Trilian
Cinematic Guitars | EZ Drummer | Steve Slate Drums
Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Blue wrote:
It's simply amazing to have you here answering questions, Stephen!

I live on the web - one of these days I'll have to get a life. Wink

Quote:
Any idea how soon we can be looking at KRONOS videos on your site?

Nope, no idea, I'd actually have to get one first - I have a development unit that does not look the same. But at some point....

maphill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original post updated with a little more information.

Reminder: Please keep this thread about actual differences, not preferences. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Thanks,
Mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: