Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavedrum Oriental (vs Black vs Silver)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubinga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Wavedrum Oriental (vs Black vs Silver) Reply with quote

Here is a silent NAMM 2011 update for WD : http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=593

I just bought a black one, which I will set my hands on next month. This one, at a first quick glance has 150 preset programs (including new arabic percussion sounds) and the 150 user program while Black has 100 and 100.

I don't like the color scheme better than the black. More original sounds mightbe good though. 50 more.
bubinga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the BLACK WD's difference from the original silver is just that it's black and the head is suede?
Is the silver WD rim also metallic and the head is Remo?
ORIENTAL's case, head etc seems the same as the SILVER. That's why I am wondering. However if the BLACK is just...err...black then they are all the same on the hardware I guess.

Too bad, there is no update possibility for those new sounds. I would even pay for an update.

I am considering to return the BLACK and get ORIENTAL instead, however if BLACK's hardware is more durable, rim is more solid etc. I may not.
Any thoughts?
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Silver vs Black vs Oriental Reply with quote

Sorry to be so late to the party on this one. I'll try to answer as many questions in this forum as I can.

The difference between the three current versions of the Wavedrum is a common question.

All three are identical in terms of hardware, etc.
The rim is aluminum on all of them.
The Silver and the Oriental ship with a Fiberskyn head. The Black version ships with an Ebony Suede.

There are no sound differences between Silver and Black.

The ONLY difference with the Oriental (besides its appearance) is the addition of 50 new Programs and 40 new Loops. All the hardware is exactly the same as the other two Wavedrums.

[Edit update, Jan 26]
I failed to mention one key ingredient here:
The new sounds of the Oriental are the result of Nine New Algorithms. It is these algorithms that generate the new sounds and facilitate the increased sensitivity. The new algorithms include a "Sensitivity" adjustment as one of the eight parameters in Edit 2 Mode. That particular parameter is not available in the previous versions of the Wavedrum.

To be clear:
This new parameter I am referring to is different than the sensitivity features that all the Wavedrums share such as the "pre-amp" setting (H-H, S-H, etc), and all other global settings that affect the response of the transducers and the pressure sensor.

Sorry for any misunderstanding on this.

Last edited by WaveDrummer on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - thanx for this overview! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: