Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I wont buy one because they forgot the drum pads.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attic wrote:
Touch screens are not accurate enough and the whole reason I bought an M3 was the built in pads. Not putting them on was a mistake on Korgs part. I am a Korg fan but wont duck-tape a nano to my keyboard.

To get this OASYS-like product down to these price points, Korg had to cut back on some of the hardware. It wouldn't surprise me if adding trigger pads might have added $150 to the retail price.

You might also ask why Korg went with an 8" non-movable touch screen instead of the OASYS movable 10" screen. The answer is cost. Same is probably true about the Kronos "normal" pots versus the OASYS LED pots, same with sliders.

Keyboard companies like Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and Kurzweil know down to the penny how much each piece of hardware adds to the retail price and they agonize over every decision.
Attic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To get this OASYS-like product down to these price points, Korg had to cut back on some of the hardware. It wouldn't surprise me if adding trigger pads might have added $150 to the retail price.

Well I would have ordered the Kronos today for $150 more if it had rubber pads on it.

I also wouldn't use a Nano for other reasons, such as the fact that the last one I purchased the pads failed within a month under light use. The M3 pads are bullet proof and have taken some abuse but the Nano's pads didn't last a month.
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attic wrote:
Quote:

Well I would have ordered the Kronos today for $150 more if it had rubber pads on it.

I also wouldn't use a Nano for other reasons, such as the fact that the last one I purchased the pads failed within a month under light use. The M3 pads are bullet proof and have taken some abuse but the Nano's pads didn't last a month.

But would others have done that?

I definitely prefer to spare those 150$, and from this post, it seems there are a lot others that think like that too.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blergh. One potential buyer gone. Hundreds of others still wanting. Bad for you. Good for Korg! Laughing
Attic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But would others have done that?

This is being marketed as a workstation class keyboard, but its missing a workstation class feature or more. I'm also going to laugh when you start beating on those screen pads and the screen itself fails. I bet you will wish you could have paid 150 more when that happens.
paugui

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it upsets me much more that it doesn't include all the physical modeling present in the Korg Z1 than that.

If you can connect a proper MIDI pad to it, I think that's good enough.

But I agree with you, probably the fact that you can use the screen as a touchpad will affect it reliability, so the wisest thing to do would be to have drop that feature.

To me it's definitely not a feature I would see myself using.
I got a Roland SP606 thinking it would be a pretty nice machine but it just doesn't go along with my workflow.
I don't think it would be different with inbuilt pads in the Kronos...
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about Z1 resurrection. The code is incomprehensible to anyone at Korg's R&D now, because it's wildly undocumented and the person who wrote it sadly died. Sad
Attic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg Z1 is a unique beast. I would recommend you buy a Z1 on the used market instead of the Kronos. You just cant go wrong with that synth.

I also think the Korg Karma is a very underrated and misunderstood synth but well worth the money. Beware if you buy the Karma it will probably need the pitch-bender replaced at some point as they fail, but still worth it.

I also recommend the Electribe Mx and the old i5M drum machines.

The Oasis PC card is also a great piece of kit that you can find on the used market but you have to run an old operating system with it.

Soon to be classics.
synthdogg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attic wrote:
synthdogg

Why did you hate them? I use them for a scratch pad for chords when writing new songs. They are brilliant for flushing out a song.

I hated them because for me, they were poorly implemented. They felt cheap, had no resistance, they would get bumped easily in between the keyboard and the touch screen....and the velocity sensing was gawd-awful. It jumped all over the place.

There were a few other reasons, but it's been almost a year since I've sold my M3 and I don't quite remember what the problem was...something around using the pads to trigger loops and what a hassle it was (Pads wouldn't hold maybe? I don't remember...)

Attic wrote:
Touch screens are not accurate enough and the whole reason I bought an M3 was the built in pads.

That's a bold statement about a keyboard you've never used. If you just prefer the tactile feel of hardware, I can understand that, but to claim that the Kronos touchscreen is "not accurate" when you've never even tried it is a bit of a stretch, don'tcha think?

Attic wrote:

Yup. I consider it a deal breaker. I use them on a daily basis and if they are not on the keyboard I wont buy it.

Good for you, Attic....your decision is easy then, it's done. No Kronos. Nothing left to see here.

My decision is going to be a little harder....
synthdogg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Blergh. One potential buyer gone. Hundreds of others still wanting. Bad for you. Good for Korg! Laughing

What do you mean..."Bad for him?" This is good for him...he knows the Kronos is not the right keyboard for him. Why is that bad? He already owns a keyboard that has what he wants the way he wants it, he doesn't need to sell it at a loss and spend a ton of extra money on a new keyboard...just because it's new.
WTF?
NewKorgKeys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: I wont buy one because they forgot the drum pads. Reply with quote

Attic wrote:
I wont buy one because they forgot the drum pads.
Dude You are sooooooo right about that. Altho I'm definitely getting one. I'm really upset about the pads especially working with the fantom g and m3. However the high quality piano and EP sounds were the deal breaker for me....finally realistic sounds I can appreciate while away from the real instruments!!!
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: I wont buy one because they forgot the drum pads. Reply with quote

realkuhl wrote:
They exist on the touch screen and if that isn't good enough, you can get a microKontrol of the pads.

I didn't think any of Korg's synths would support the nano controllers directly.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Attic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to claim that the Kronos touchscreen is "not accurate" when you've never even tried it is a bit of a stretch, don'tcha think?

Well I program TouchOSC interfaces so its not just the Kronos it is everything made right now from the ipad to the lemur, I am accurate about that judgment.
Link

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you must know, that resistive screens accuracy is in pixel class, or even less.
jahrome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy....I hate cheesy drum pads on keyboard workstations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: