Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which synth engines are missing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Which synth engines are missing? Reply with quote

I see the potential in Kronos. It's a computer shaped like a keyboard, and it can be improved quite easily with software updates.

Maby I'm alone about this, but I think there should be a FM synth engine. By just seeing how capable the FM8 software from NI is.
I have yet to see a modern FM hardware-synth.

I read in another thread here, that someone requested a wind-instrument engine. I agree to that one. One example is that saxophones are hard to get perfect in my opinion.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD-7 is an FM style synthesis engine... it's part of KRONOS.

From Korg website:

MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer
VPM/Waveshaping/PCM processing sound engine
Combine Variable Phase Modulation (VPM), wave-shaping, ring modulation, samples, and subtractive synthesis, plus a modular patch-panel system, and you have the MOD-7. Exceptionally versatile, it offers everything from classic FM keyboards, bells and basses (including the ability to import sounds from vintage DX synths) to rhythmic soundscapes and sparkling, epic pads. “Vast” sample-mangling capabilities, with incredible flexibility and power, let you create intensely rich processing environments: combine multiple stages of filtering, waveshaping, and ring modulation – even use samples as FM modulators – all patched together however you like.

X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing which neither OASYS nor KRONOS have which I would really like to see is some serious additive synthesis.

I guess technically CX-3 counts but that's not really what I'm talking about. Equally I think someone said that the MOD-7 engine could do additive synthesis - with seven parts, that's even less than the CX-3.

I'm talking additive: K5000 style (notice how it is also shaped a lot like the KRONOS?)
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
MOD-7 is an FM synthesis engine... it's part of KRONOS.
Damn you got a point there. Not 100% sure if it's a fully blown FM engine though. Good point. Razz

Last edited by robinkle on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up on Synthoid's post, I have read from a few FM aficionados here and there that MOD-7 is the best FM synth out there. I have no basis to make a comparison myself, but the point is, it has an FM engine, and it's apparently pretty nice. Note, also, that you can load old DX-7 patches into it!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:
the point is, it has an FM engine, and it's apparently pretty nice. Note, also, that you can load old DX-7 patches into it!

Big plus!

Cool
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:
Just to follow up on Synthoid's post, I have read from a few FM aficionados here and there that MOD-7 is the best FM synth out there. I have no basis to make a comparison myself, but the point is, it has an FM engine, and it's apparently pretty nice. Note, also, that you can load old DX-7 patches into it!
Then it is a worthy FM engine indeed.
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
CfNorENa wrote:
the point is, it has an FM engine, and it's apparently pretty nice. Note, also, that you can load old DX-7 patches into it!

Big plus!

Cool

Supports Yamaha DX patches.. Now thats something. I do not expect
manufacturers to do that to eachother.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, too bad we can't get an EXB-Jupiter-8 or Prophet-5 for the KRONOS.

Think
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOD-7 engine is fabulous; the most powerful synth of the Kronos/OASYS engines, in my opinion. There are 6 oscillators (operators), which are user patchable like the MS-20 display; 10 EGs (including Amp), 4 LFOs, etc. External audio, samples/ROM sounds and noise can be simultaneously routed to oscillators of your choice. This is like an evolved Yamaha SY99, audio patch-wise.

One program can have 2 MOD-7s (12 operators) and 3 Step Sequencers. Assuming the bus system is like OASYS, there is also a workaround that allows you to patch one MOD-7 into the other, so you can cascade 4 filters in a single program, or run one MOD-7 through any oscillator of the second:

Original thread

Procedure
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
The MOD-7 engine is fabulous; the most powerful synth of the Kronos/OASYS engines, in my opinion. There are 6 oscillators (operators), which are user patchable like the MS-20 display; 10 EGs (including Amp), 4 LFOs, etc. External audio, samples/ROM sounds and noise can be simultaneously routed to oscillators of your choice. This is like an evolved Yamaha SY99, audio patch-wise.

One program can have 2 MOD-7s (12 operators) and 3 Step Sequencers. Assuming the bus system is like OASYS, there is also a workaround that allows you to patch one MOD-7 into the other, so you can cascade 4 filters in a single program, or run one MOD-7 through any oscillator of the second:

Original thread

Procedure

Tell me more about it. I asume there are Operators like on the DX series.
Is it so that you can use samples in each operator? Sinewave would be a must. but are there square waves and sawtooth waves to choose for each operator also? Smile Can you use feedback on all operators? Any unison mode available?. Tell me! Very Happy. I love FM. makes me very excited. I have a DX7 II FD. Smile

Last edited by robinkle on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:

Original thread

Procedure

Tell me more about it. I asume there are Operators like on the DX series.
Is it so that you can use samples in each operator? Sinewave would be a must. but are there square waves and sawtooth waves to choose for each operator also? Smile Can you use feedback on all operators? Any unison mode available?. Tell me! Very Happy. I love FM. makes me very excited. I have a DX7 II FD. Smile
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use ALL THE SAMPLES INSIDE THE BOARD or inputs from other synth engines as operators. Yes it has feedback, it MUST have, in order to support DX7 import.

It's much better than any FM synth Yamaha has ever done Laughing
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Yes, you can use ALL THE SAMPLES INSIDE THE BOARD or inputs from other synth engines as operators. Yes it has feedback, it MUST have, in order to support DX7 import.

It's much better than any FM synth Yamaha has ever done Laughing

Well it should have atleast 1 feedback operator. FM8 has feeback on all operators. Are sawtooth waves and square waves selectable among the samples?
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 ) Mono-Poly
2 ) M1 (well, we can surely do it with HD-1, but it would be great to get all original presets from M1)
3 ) Trident

4 ) Winds
5 ) Reed
(Something like the Wallander Instruments WIVI would be killer)

6 ) Kurz VAST

7 ) ARP2600
8 ) CS80
9 ) Prophet
10 ) Jupiter
11 ) Minimoog
12 ) Moog Modular

13 ) Drums & Perc Modeling (both electronic 808, 909, etc... and acoustic)

14 ) Oh yeah, just a dream now we can use streaming... Kontakt Engine, or being able to import Kontakt library in the HD-1.

Should be fine then... LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: