Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which synth engines are missing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ ultravvox

very nice forum user name you have Wink
ultravvox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just loving 80s music so much Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does no-one else feel about additive as I do?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

Don't know too much about it, to be honest. I've heard some K5000 demos, and they sounded cool -- but also a lot like FM or wavetabling. I wonder -- is it just a different way to get sounds, or does it bring something genuinely new to the table?
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

Most synths if not all with two or more oscillators can do addative synthesis.
I think most people likes addative synthesis. Smile
The MOD-7 can do that quite well. Smile
Running 6 operator carriers with different ratio settings, creates an organ sound, which is a nice example of addative synthesis.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, additive synthesis with 256 (or more!) partials is something entirely different thing...
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
However, additive synthesis with 256 (or more!) partials is something entirely different thing...

That I have never tested. What would you say is the benefit?
ep0ch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most obvious synth engine that is missing is VSTi. I'd love to have Loomer Strings on that thing.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
I've got the DX7 IIFD with grey matter E!. and I have the SY77. I will get ridd of both to collect cash for the Kronos.

You will probably love, love, love MOD-7, but be aware that its workflow is Korg style, not Yamaha. There are many more parameters and values - Operator Velocity setting is -100 to +100, for instance. One thing that threw me was that the operators are in reverse order of Yamaha's setup - Operator 1 is on top of the algorithm stack. It does not port SY sounds, but you can program those kind of sounds.

Just be aware, in case you have a big personal library, which is another reason I keep the SY99.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
robinkle wrote:
I've got the DX7 IIFD with grey matter E!. and I have the SY77. I will get ridd of both to collect cash for the Kronos.

You will probably love, love, love MOD-7, but be aware that its workflow is Korg style, not Yamaha. There are many more parameters and values - Operator Velocity setting is -100 to +100, for instance. One thing that threw me was that the operators are in reverse order of Yamaha's setup - Operator 1 is on top of the algorithm stack. It does not port SY sounds, but you can program those kind of sounds.

Just be aware, in case you have a big personal library, which is another reason I keep the SY99.

I can live with those changes from Korg, and most sounds I made on the SY77 are easy to remake. I can bet on that the soundquality is greatly improved as well. I really think I will love MOD-7, I feel convinced even before testing it in person. I just know kronos is right for me. Maby strange or maby not. :S
realkuhl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traveled from my mom & dad's music store in Ontario Oregon 480 miles to see the introduction of the DX-7 in Portland Oregon. I've programmed or sold fm synthesizers since they came out. I have made a custom patch bank I sell at my website (www.pluginguru.com) for FM8.

Nothing comes close to the purity of the FM from OASYS and now from KRONOS. The engine and abilities are identical. Drum Track being the big addition and a different U.I. (of course).

The harmonic distortion, noise floor and other critical elements as well as having the fastest EG's to work with make for FM synthesis like you can only dream of....... not to mention, then putting your patch thru up to 16 high quality effects, if you wish.... Smile

Greetings from Rainy Portland, Oregon.

robinkle wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:
robinkle wrote:

I can live with those changes from Korg, and most sounds I made on the SY77 are easy to remake. I can bet on that the soundquality is greatly improved as well. I really think I will love MOD-7, I feel convinced even before testing it in person. I just know kronos is right for me. Maby strange or maby not. :S

Custom Sounds and Free Video Tutorials for
Virtual Instruments: www.pluginguru.com

My comments and opinions are not official statements from Korg Inc. I'm not official !!
robinkle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more convinced. Smile I guess I'm talking to the right people here.

Are there filters also? if so what kind?

realkuhl wrote:
I traveled from my mom & dad's music store in Ontario Oregon 480 miles to see the introduction of the DX-7 in Portland Oregon. I've programmed or sold fm synthesizers since they came out. I have made a custom patch bank I sell at my website (www.pluginguru.com) for FM8.

Nothing comes close to the purity of the FM from OASYS and now from KRONOS. The engine and abilities are identical. Drum Track being the big addition and a different U.I. (of course).

The harmonic distortion, noise floor and other critical elements as well as having the fastest EG's to work with make for FM synthesis like you can only dream of....... not to mention, then putting your patch thru up to 16 high quality effects, if you wish.... Smile

Greetings from Rainy Portland, Oregon.

robinkle wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:
robinkle wrote:

peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... not really missing as KRONOS comes already with a lot of great sounding EXis. But now that I saw the Fairlight anniversary edition, I thought would'nt it be cool to get the possibility of "wave drawing" with an USB connected "pencil" and edit sounds on KRONOS' screen?

Peter

Last edited by peter m. mahr on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
tarek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

th z1 engine is missing .!!

software: korg legacy collection digtal edition,cubase5,sonar7.

past gear:yamaha A3,gem WS1,korg pa50/80,i30,triton le,pa800,ketron vega
ozy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beating my dead horse (maybe somehow hoping it will start making trombone noises)

physical modeling of brass and winds is missing once again.

And I don't mean the "all-corners-cut" prophecy version.

Come on, Korg... 17 years late...

And of course (but that's a hardware-related issue, so, it's not something which can easily be corrected):

how happens a cottage (if not garage) firm like DSI can make digital/analog hybrid synths and Korg once again includes just an ms-20 "visual replica" in its flagship?

Come on, who needs better sampled stratocasters when you can't put a fender emulation through a real analogue filter or ring modulator?

THAT'S a keyboard thing, not playing fake guitars...

[On a related note: I tried the Clavia nord stage. It hasn't a frigging pedal wha!!!

It's even mentioned in the manual: "there's a auto-wha function, but in case you need a pedal-wha for your wurly of clavinet, connect an external unit". Come on... ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: