Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Boot Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Start getting used to it. Reply with quote

The mean boot time on these types of machines will keep getting longer and longer as consumers expect larger hi-def libraries, more synths on-board and a complex graphics-laden OS.
JimH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Start getting used to it. Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
The mean boot time on these types of machines will keep getting longer and longer as consumers expect larger hi-def libraries, more synths on-board and a complex graphics-laden OS.

Yeah, I also wonder if this is the new norm we have to expect. I've heard the Motif XF can also take 40 seconds to boot, probably depending on how much user flash memory is programmed. But my Yamaha S90ES boots in 10 seconds, which I like.
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm accustomed to vintage analogs, which sometimes take ten MINUTES to warm up, so I think I'll be able to handle the boot time of the Kronos!
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yeah, that all puts it into perspective!
I suppose we really are "quibbling" over small matters.

Imagine if you had to take the Kronos to service every 14 days to get it tuned
mymusic42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love it if a shell of some sort could be booted up immediately (or near immedaitely) and then everything else load up. my concerns:

1) those times when i just want to play right now. waiting a minute or two for the kronos to load is counter-creative. i'd settle for an immedaite load of a simple GM quality piano that i could play while everything else loads.

2) in the case of a power outage or loss, i'm down for two minutes while the kronos boots back up. in cases where i am the main or only instrumentalist this is crippling. in all my years of playing, its very rare to have an outage, but when it has happened, i've been on keyboard that can boot back up in 10 seconds or less. that's once scenario that always scared me when i had an oasys (which i rarely gigged with) and now i plan on gigging exclusively with kronos.

of course, the easy answers are buy a cheap keyboard to handle those times i want to play right now (although that defeates the purpose of thr kronos being my only keyboard. and i guess i could (should) get universal power supply for the kronos--especially since electrical surge is what killed my oasys!
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cases of power outage, you should have an uninterruptible power supply on stage!
mymusic42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For cases of power outage, you should have an uninterruptible power supply on stage!

i know; and i probably will. it's just one more thing to carry. and the UPS i has is kind of bulky. hopefully they've gotten smaller in recent years.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mymusic42 wrote:
i know; and i probably will. it's just one more thing to carry. and the UPS i has is kind of bulky. hopefully they've gotten smaller in recent years.

APC has UPSs the size of powerstrips now. Still heavy though.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
+1
It surprises me how often I see players without this, probably the vast majority of players. The 'boards are just too expensive and take too long to restart to go without some minimal protection.
I think more guitar players that use rack systems have power conditioning and ups than keys players.
mymusic42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that the smallest APC is the one i have. still too big for my tastes, but better safe than sorry i guess. thanks

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE350G&total_watts=200
maphill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Start getting used to it. Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:

True, but that must be balanced with the decrease in boot time (for a given size) that accompanies faster processors and memory.

FWIW,
Mark.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mymusic42 wrote:
of course, the easy answers are buy a cheap keyboard to handle those times i want to play right now (although that defeates the purpose of thr kronos being my only keyboard.

It's better to travel with two keyboards regardless. Check the thread at http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58566 (esp. the message I left there, it's the 8th one) -- you just added one more good reason to have two boards.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Start getting used to it. Reply with quote

JimH wrote:

Yeah, I also wonder if this is the new norm we have to expect. I've heard the Motif XF can also take 40 seconds to boot, probably depending on how much user flash memory is programmed. But my Yamaha S90ES boots in 10 seconds, which I like.

My Motif XF with 1GB Flash installed takes 50 seconds to boot.

Busch.
P5music

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm accustomed to vintage analogs, which sometimes take ten MINUTES to warm up, so I think I'll be able to handle the boot time of the Kronos!

So should we feel lucky that our Pc's boot in 50 seconds, and not complain, because old computers had floppy DOS disks or cassettes?
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
No, that's not my issue either. Actually my son, who is practising the piano at home sometimes takes the long boot time of the M3 as an excuse to not do his homework. He requires a piano that can be switched on in light speed. Wink
(I need to take into account the requirements of all family members, not just mine)

This is not a hardware nor a software issue.

This is an education issue.

Raise your son so that he knows real life is not always instant gratification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: