Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Boot Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Start getting used to it. Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
But my Yamaha S90ES boots in 10 seconds, which I like.

Waldorf Blofeld : less than 6 sec. (5 sec. 2/10)
Yamaha EX5 : less than 5 sec. (4 sec. 8/10)
Kawai K5000S : less than 4 sec. (3 sec. 6/10)
Yamaha FS1R : less than 3 sec. (2 sec. 4/10)

Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
He requires a piano that can be switched on in light speed.

There is no valid reason why a keyboard would need to boot in "light speed" in a home situation. On stage, live, could be a different matter.

Does the computer boot instantly? Does the toaster toast instantly? Does the coffee maker produce coffee instantly?
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
orpheus2006 wrote:
No, that's not my issue either. Actually my son, who is practising the piano at home sometimes takes the long boot time of the M3 as an excuse to not do his homework. He requires a piano that can be switched on in light speed. Wink
(I need to take into account the requirements of all family members, not just mine)

This is not a hardware nor a software issue.

This is an education issue.

Raise your son so that he knows real life is not always instant gratification.
Noticed. Laughing
I can tell you that it is not easy to explain that it takes nearly 2 minutes before he can play the piano while his PC boots up in 30 secs.
Please don't give me the advice to buy a real piano or a stagepiano that is instantly ready for playing. That's not what I want.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
Please don't give me the advice to buy a real piano or a stagepiano that is instantly ready for playing. That's not what I want.

I just wanted to give that advice (real piano). Very Happy Not because of the booting time but because of learning the piano in general. That's better - a piano is a piano, a workstation/synth/etc. is not.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:
Does the computer boot instantly? Does the toaster toast instantly? Does the coffee maker produce coffee instantly?

It says "Instant Coffee" on the packaging Rolling Eyes

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:

It also said "Windows Works" on the package, and it didn't.

People carry badges with "Military Intelligence" on them, and they can't tell their elbow fron their knee.

Etc etc

So what?

Life sux. Rolling Eyes

orpheus2006 wrote:
my son sometimes takes the long boot time of the M3 as an excuse to not do his homework.

tell him that such impatience leads to eiaculatio praecox. It could work as an incentive to patience.

On the other hand, the m3's loading time (and the piano sound quality) could emasculate anybody.
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Lougheed wrote:

Even with Instant Coffee, there is the time required to boil the water! (Does anyone actually drink Instant Coffee these days?)
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:
Lougheed wrote:

Even with Instant Coffee, there is the time required to boil the water! (Does anyone actually drink Instant Coffee these days?)

Any way you look at it, there's no way it can be instant. Even microwaving would take time.

LIES.. it's all LIES!!!

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now...

STALE, MICROWAVE-HEATED UP, INSTANT, COFFEE...

ghhaaaaaaaa :-& Mad Shocked Speak to the hand
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
now...

STALE, MICROWAVE-HEATED UP, INSTANT, COFFEE...

ghhaaaaaaaa :-& Mad Shocked Speak to the hand

Buy the Kronos for what it can do now, not possible upgrades in the future such as Espresso and Frappuccino.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Even microwaving would take time.

It depends.

If you go into serious programming with user wavetables and UPAW, it can take time, indeed.
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:
Espresso and Frappuccino.

I live in ITALY! ITALIA!

I don't even know what Frappuccino is... (something expensive in a foam cup, they tell me Crying or Very sad )

... every morning, no matter where I am, I stop at the first available café and I enjoy the ONE and TRUE Italian Cappuccino!

And Espresso... they call it just "coffee" here.

A country where "a cup of coffee" means AUTOMATICALLY "a hot, good espresso", no matter if you are at work, on a train or in jail!

Here, "instant coffee" is ILLEGAL! They shoot you for heating up a bad coffee. Swear God, they shoot you! In the neck, like they do to drug smugglers in China.

Somebody gives you a bad coffee? ka-pow! You can kill the barman, and don't go to jail.

Good coffee is the second best reason for living here (and no, the first is not the Pope).

So, the Italian version of Kronos 2.00 will not have the Frappuccino module included.

Useless.

It will include a cement mixer, for fixing potholes in the street. But that's another story.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Here, "instant coffee" is ILLEGAL!

It should be illegal world-wide, actually. But the Stepford Wife-like actors in the Folgers commercials here (US) lull people into a hypnotic state, making them think that the life you live can be placid, easy, and completely satisfying in every respect if you have a cup of Folgers. I say "have" because the actors in the commercial don't actually drink it. Even they know better.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
orpheus2006 wrote:

I just wanted to give that advice (real piano). Very Happy Not because of the booting time but because of learning the piano in general. That's better - a piano is a piano, a workstation/synth/etc. is not.
Very Happy I knew someone would give exactly this advice. Be assured my son practises on a real piano at school.
But the home situation is different. We just do not have the space for an arsenal of instruments. The M3-88 (or eventually the Kronos) is set. No discussion required/allowed! Wink
I just hoped the Kronos' boot time is faster than the M3's, and thanks to SSD and disk streaming there are chances this is the case. We still do not have a final number for the Kronos boot time, do we?

There was a nice joke about american coffee during the 90s:
What's the difference between american coffee and making love in a boat?
Answer: Both is f...ing close to water.
Nowadays the international "Italian" standard has been adopted in the US, too. It took them quite some time, though. Laughing
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Boot Time Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
There was a nice joke about american coffee during the 90s:
What's the difference between american coffee and making love in a boat?
Answer: Both is f...ing close to water.

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: