Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Created with KRONOS: Challenger 25th Anniversary Tribute
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Created with KRONOS: Challenger 25th Anniversary Tribute Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

For about the last 6 months, I've been working on a personal music/video project... I've now released it on
YouTube - and it uses the Kronos.

Jan 28, 2011 is the 25th anniversary of the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster. 25 years ago, when I was still
a professional musician chasing a record deal and dreaming of writing and recording songs, I was greatly
affected by this event and wrote a memorial song that was completed just two days after the event. My partner
Dave (a guitarist) and I recorded a demo version of it. I tried to get something to happen with it, but 25 years
ago I was an "unsigned artist", there was no internet, no youtube, no self-promotion, and it remained
unreleased and unpublished.

To make a long story short (you can read about it in more detail on the support website ChallengerTributeSong.com),
this year I decided to re-record it (using the development Kronos I happened to have in my possession),
make an inspirational video to go with it, and release it for the anniversary. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK0QE68_Dds&fmt=18

Note: this song was not, at all, written as a "Kronos Demo" - i.e., it's not about showcasing the various
programs, or synth engines, or "amazing sounds from each model" - not at all. I picked sounds for use that
I felt were appropriate for the creation of a real song, in the style I desired, to capture the message I
wanted to deliver. It's not a demo sequence like I usually do where I try to use every program under the
sun and then throw in the kitchen sink. Wink It's a real-life usage by an "artist" (ahem...) creating a full-blown
"real song", using essentially one unit (and of course the great "real" guitar work by my partner and our
vocals, done on audio tracks.)

So if you watch/listen to this with the idea that it's supposed to "blow you away" with all the potential of the
Kronos, then I would guess you will be disappointed.

Rather, I hope you will enjoy the song/video for what it is: a heart-felt tribute to the 25th anniversary of the
Challenger disaster, and the Space Shuttle program in general, that coincidentally just happens to have been
created using the Kronos.

Even though I used Digital Performer to record the guitars and vocals (there were approximately 30 tracks
of background vocals and 20 tracks of clean and distorted guitars, although it may not sound like it), all of
the 24-bit 48k audio tracks were bounced down to multiple two-track stereo submixes, and everything was
put into the Kronos - 16 tracks of MIDI, 16 tracks of audio - and it was completely mixed and mastered in the
Kronos using the Kronos' effects, and bounced to a 24-bit WAVE file on the Kronos. In doing so, I had hoped
Korg might use it as a demo sequence, but I think they felt it wasn't appropriate for that use - and maybe
they are correct.

Anyway, what you will hear, for the detail-inclined, are (in various spots):
HD-1
STR-1
MOD-7
AL-1
Polysix
Wave-sequencing (HD-1)
stereo drums and percussion...
Some subtle uses of KARMA (intro, acoustic guitar, mallet sweep glissandoes)

And yes, that's me singing lead - from 25 years ago (the original lead vocal from the demo we created.)

Finally, let me ask a personal favor: if you like this video/song, please forward it to all your friends and
anyone who might be interested in this particular subject - I'd like to spread it around. Wink

Thanks!

Last edited by StephenKay on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Bunker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! -Mike
fjs714

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, Really Terrific, Beautifully sounding Classy Job!!!
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can sing too? I'm starting to think you might just be from another planet, here on earth bringing us all "good karma"! Cool
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really well done Mr. Kay, great concepts in the lyrics and well executed. The shuttle was the 25th launch as you know so the timing for rehashing this composition 25 years later for the anniversary definitely has a poetry to it. The song aged nicely too, putting it on the shelf may have ended up being the most appropriate thing to do for this piece. I hope it reaches a lot of people who were touched by that tragedy so they know that there are men and women out there who still remember and revere those seven astronauts.

I also had no idea that Ronald McNair was an accomplished saxophonist set to record with Jean Michel Jarre in space for that mission. Makes me sad. Still, I find it very inspiring when artists compose a piece to increase awareness about scientific endeavors or laud science in general. It gives real purpose to human existence I think.

Thank you very much for sharing.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was really compassionate. Thanks for posting a good song in commemoration.

I presume it wasn't chosen as a Kronos promotion because theres not enough piano (as in the existing demos)

I vaguely remember this event, but I do remember JMJ and the sax piece which is very saddening.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice composition Stephen! Sounds very 80's and great singing aswell!

klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds a bit "Alan Parsons Project"-ish.
Cool Compliments!
tritonlover2000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool my man. Excellent arrangement vintage 80's style and wonderful video editing. You are a man of many talents with the Karma programming and interface design being your highlight ofcourse. Even your website is pretty cool with all the flash graphics.

There is another NASA video, its called 'MARS ROVER NASA' and the music is by astral projection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYmeq5XBoI

Mostly computer graphics though, not live footage like in your video.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds very, very cool, 80's Stephen Smile Thanks Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bach42t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good indeed, I just got told by the leasing agent to turn my music down in my apartment and I was listening to this. I hope they don't start that mess when I get my Kronos. Extremely moving.... This one needs circulation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tritonlover2000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw you look and sound a bit like Kenny Loggins.
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great tribute Stephen...It may not be acceptable as a demo song where you yourself said you throw everything in including the kitchen sink....It definitely fits the purpose and nothing can say that better when it truly comes from the heart....Even though it won't be included as a demo, you could always put the file somewhere for users to download and explore it that way....You yourself said the internet has changed that Wink ......Great Job!
ozy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My usual sarcasm is silenced by the deep respect and awe for the Challenger heroes, and by the kind idea of paying them a tribute.

If I may let a less emotional opinion transpire, it's that the song is... well... very 1986 in its flavour, in a "TopGun"nish fashion.

If that was intentional... well, nice job
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
If I may let a less emotional opinion transpire, it's that the song is... well... very 1986 in its flavour, in a "TopGun"nish fashion.

If that was intentional... well, nice job

I'm sure that was exactly Stephen's idea given the video content and time period it was written...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: