Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me choose a Korg?: Guitarist looking to start Keyboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Testing This Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wasteisland

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Help me choose a Korg?: Guitarist looking to start Keyboard Reply with quote

Hi there. I am a guitarist but have recently taken a deep interest in electronic music. For a few months now I have been trying to achieve electronic like tones on my guitar however I realize if I ever wish to really play that style I will most likely need to switch over to a synth.

I'm a fan of Korgs but don't really know where to start. Could you guys help me out? From someone who knows nothing here, at first glance overviewing all the products the X50 catches my eye. Here is what I really need out of a synth:

**I will use it for live performance over anything! so what I would like is:

Many octaves (keys), at least the seemingly standard 61 keys.

Ability to program lots of user patches (and split patches, for example dubstep bass on the low end and xylophone leads further up in the same patch)

Ability to use a vocoder hooked up to a microphone.

Ability to build my own tones/download other use tones (if possible?)

Those are my primary concerns. I apologize if what I have tried to explain is unclear, I am not familiar with the terms used in these sort of product specifications. I have difficulty navigating the products and understanding all the specs, which is why I come seeking your aid. I figured I would ask the people who know best what would be right for me. The reason the X50 catches my attention is because it seems like the most practical for playing within my price range. Not important, but I also dig the look of it.

Thanks for your time, all comments/constructive critisism is appreciated.

EDIT: Oh and the ability to upload samples I have recorded to the keyboard and set them in a patch would be a HUGE asset to me.. I'm starting to think I will need to go up in price range here :/
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most synthesizers allow you to program and edit and share your own sounds. That is the point of synthesis - to synthesize.

If you want 61 keys then a workstation would be typical. Or possibly a workstation spinoff like the microX or X50 which have the Triton sound engine but no sequencer.

Or the newer microstation might be more to your needs, but I think you have to use a software editor to get to many of the parameters, you can't edit directly on the board.

Now this is where you have two distinct choices. You can go for a workstation - typically based upon samples (recordings) of real instruments. You often get synth waveforms too, but the point of the workstation is that it does fairly well as a wide variety of sounds.

Then you have the synthesizer. These sometimes have sampled waves and whatnot, but often no sequencer (not one based upon building whole songs anyway). But typically synthesizers are about producing more traditionally electronic, out of this world, unreal sounds. Some are fairly good at organs and electric pianos and such too, as these are also electric instruments. But the emphasis here is on generating sounds in realtime rather than playing back recordings of them.

In reality the border between the two tends to be a bit blurred, as already mentioned. For example the Radias is Korg's most recent flagship 'pure' synthesizer, but it does have some preset EP, organ, choir, strings, etc samples which you can use as the basis of your songs (they don't always end up sounding anything like the original string or choir sample, you can completely warp them beyond recognition).
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
wasteisland

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of arpegiators or sequencing really.. Would be for straight forward performance colaborated with other musicians to take care of the other tracks.. I guess what I am looking for would be whichever would have more tones to work with, because I would definitely use patches such as piano, strings, wind instruments etc.. but I absolutely NEED those unreal electronic sounds.

I suppose what I am trying to ask is which is most similar to what a guitar multi-effects pedal would do for a guitar?

and what about the vocoder?

I have read that the X50 feels pretty cheap which is unfortunately because I am used to gigging and abusing my gear, however with a stationary instrument it kind of changes the game a bit Razz

PS. Checking out micro stations now
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the sequencer is more about producing your own entire songs in the box (e.g. as alternative to a computer DAW system or etc), rather than 'cheating'. Particularly if you're into electronic music, arpeggiators can be fun to make tightly timed basslines or such. Similarly the sequencer can be handy if you want to make a 'backing track' and play guitar alongside your track for example.

Anyway, as I said, a workstation is designed to provide a wide range of sounds. Specifically if you want good strings or piano sounds then you'll need a sample based instruments - which is almost all workstations. It may have a sequencer, drum tracks, and arpeggiators but you don't have to use them. They'll have very good synth sounds too.

The next problem though is that the best vocoders will be found in the aforementioned more 'pure' synthesizers like the Radias, R3, MicroKorg. These don't have the pianos and strings and guitars and such but have synthetic sounds and vocoders.

Korg's workstations do often have vocoders, but you'll need to make sure it is a workstation which features audio inputs - so NOT the M50, X50, or microX, or Triton LE or TR.
A Triton Studio/Classic/Extreme, M3, OASYS, etc would be a good example.

Personally I get the impression you'd have more fun with a real synthesizer like the RADAIS or R3, but you would have to sacrifice those realistic piano and other acoustic sounds. Specifically if you're into endless possibilities through tweaking.

Workstation synthesizers tend to be less fun to program because most of it is done through the screen with the data entry wheel. Whilst the Radias and R3 do feature this, there are knobs for the most common parameters.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
wasteisland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you for your input.. Looks like I may have to split my want of instruments and synthetic sounds into two and get one synth and one workstation..

:/
korglifeguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasteisland wrote:
Well thank you for your input.. Looks like I may have to split my want of instruments and synthetic sounds into two and get one synth and one workstation..

I havent got either of these but Id recommend a Korg triton LE 61 (or x50 trinity or TR series) and a korg microkorg. Another nice addition which i do have is the mini kp pad for adding wierd fx which you can pick up for around £100 on ebay if your lucky. You could probably pick up a combination of those three for £600 ish (£300 for the le or trinity, £200 for the microkorg and £100 for the mini kp). or even just a le/trinity and a mini kp pad if you looking to save dosh.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

korglifeguy wrote:
wasteisland wrote:

I havent got either of these but Id recommend a Korg triton LE 61 (or x50 trinity or TR series) and a korg microkorg. Another nice addition which i do have is the mini kp pad for adding wierd fx which you can pick up for around £100 on ebay if your lucky. You could probably pick up a combination of those three for £600 ish (£300 for the le or trinity, £200 for the microkorg and £100 for the mini kp). or even just a le/trinity and a mini kp pad if you looking to save dosh.

I'd recommend the TR 61 which is exactly the same as the Triton LE but with much improved sounds. If you pair this with a microKorg (or better, an R3 or Radias), then you've got both a workstation and a synth.

The microKorg does sound nicer out of the box, but seeing as you said you were really excited about sound design, then you'll love the more modern Radias and R3 with their almost endless sound design posibilities that go waaay beyond just pretening to be analog. Don't get the microKorg XL though! its a waste of money compared to the R3 (which uses the same base MMT sound engine) which is only slightly more expensive but packed with tons of better features.

Those mini-KPs are cool. I have one sitting on the end of my KARMA and it used to sit quite nicely blu-tacked on the end of the TR too.
wasteisland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of an X50, R3, Kaoss Pad (or something similar set up)

Heres the thing though, I was talking with a friend of mine and he can get me a large discount on new Korgs.. pretty much cost me about the same or less than a used one.

So ideally the best choice would be an X50 or M50 since Tritons arent produced anymore... Between these two I figure the M50 is probably the best choice, but I honestly find the thing hideous an it begins to go out of my price range.. Honestly the only BIG turn off from the X50 for me is the rumoured cheap keybed feeling.. since that directly affects playing forever.

I also posted on the X50 forum asking about some details like to what extent you can tweak patches, and can you save them under new titles of your choice etc.. random stuff like that but no replies yet. I've watched just about every youtube video on the thing and they are all covers or a brief review.

):

Also drooling over the Kronos like everyone else, however wont consider it until I've played for many years and would use the thing properly, haha.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasteisland wrote:

I also posted on the X50 forum asking about some details like to what extent you can tweak patches, and can you save them under new titles of your choice etc.. random stuff like that but no replies yet. I've watched just about every youtube video on the thing and they are all covers or a brief review.

The X50 is a Triton, and has all the programming power as such. The main difference is that the X50 only has one insert and two master (simulated internal send/return type) effects slots, whilst a normal Triton (and the M50) have five inserts, and the M50 also has per-part EQ and a 'total' (e.g. mastering) effects slot whilst the Triton and X50 have a fixed master EQ processor in that place.

Aside from that, the X50 has an expanded internal wave ROM. The actual parameters can be tweaked fully to your tastes, provided you are happy with the base waveforms built in. All the usual filters, envelopes, and LFOs are there. Although I'd recommend a 2nd hand Triton or KARMA, because effects play a big part in the Korg sound. Equally the M50 will be better at acoustic and other 'real' sounds whilst the Triton (and X50) excels at synths and does those same acoustic sounds 'okay'.

But yeah, the X50 is really just a triton but with no song mode (sequencer) or effects.
Oh also it has traditional mod and pitch wheels rather than the three-way joystick on the other workstations (effectively like having two modwheels and a pitch bend)
wasteisland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have narrowed it down to the X50 or PS60. The keybed and build quality is the breaking factor of the X50, because it seems more capable than the PS60. I dont want to invest in something where the hardware will die in a year.

Sorry for the roller coaster or factors, just honestly not sure what to invest in for what I need.. honestly I'm not even completely sure what features I would utilise in the future.

Thanks for all the replies thus far!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With either the PS60 or X50 there is a good flow of supply in eBay these days. I think that de-risks your decision a bit.

Buy the X50 first (I think that might be closer to what you're looking for). If that doesn't work for you, then offload it on eBay and buy a PS60.

Or even better - if finances allow - buy both. Then sell the one that doesn't win your selection contest!
wasteisland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
With either the PS60 or X50 there is a good flow of supply in eBay these days. I think that de-risks your decision a bit.

Buy the X50 first (I think that might be closer to what you're looking for). If that doesn't work for you, then offload it on eBay and buy a PS60.

Or even better - if finances allow - buy both. Then sell the one that doesn't win your selection contest!

While I really like your advice, I honestly could not afford to do that, I'm an unemployed student running on savings! haha. My plan is to get something decent enough to work with for a beginner and buy a theory book and lock myself in my room this summer and work at it.

I'm thinking if the Keybed and build is much better on the PS60 then its worth sacrificing the superiority in versatility of the X50 for it.. Because honestly I'm going to be gigging and playing live with it over everything. It's just hard to find all this info online, I have to make a trip to the music store.

This is more difficult than guitar shopping, something that surprises me! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Testing This Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: