Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Velocity layers in user samples?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Velocity layers in user samples? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

As a Roland Fantom G user who has been completely let down by the three years long failure to update their OS properly, provide their own user forum, or even communicate with users about critical issues at all, I am very interested in the Kronos as next workstation.

Warned by the Fantom G letdown, I have learned to ask enough critical questions BEFORE buying, so please don't take any of my questions or feedback as meant impolite.

My first questions concern user sampling:

1. Is it possible to load user samples with up to 8 velocity layers into the Korg Kronos?

2. How are user multsamples edited in general on this device?
Is there a sample editor (beyond one layer editing!) available from Korg or otheres?

3. I read in the specs that sampling is limited to 512Mb.
Is it posssible to upgrade the 1Gb RAM in the Kronos to 2 or 4 Gb and get more sampling space?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Should be possible, you can select a keymap per velocity range, and you have 8 ranges available.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity layers in user samples? Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

Hello!

jimknopf wrote:
1. Is it possible to load user samples with up to 8 velocity layers into the Korg Kronos?

Yes.

jimknopf wrote:
2. How are user multsamples edited in general on this device?
Is there a sample editor (beyond one layer editing!) available from Korg or otheres?

Each layer is a Multisample. The style and functionality are similar to the OASYS and M3, so you can check out details in the manuals for those products (which are available online as PDF docs).

jimknopf wrote:
3. I read in the specs that sampling is limited to 512Mb.

That sounds like it's from one of the pre-release rumors. The system comes with 2GB of physical RAM, of which a little less than 1GB is used for the system and the "ROM" samples. So, a little more than 1GB is free for user-configurable samples. In the factory configuration, about 750 MB of this is used by Korg sample libraries, leaving about 270MB free (last time I checked), but if you like you can dump some or all of these and load your own instead.

Best regards,

Dan

Edit: corrected grammar.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com

Last edited by danatkorg on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using both OSCs it would be possible to have a 16 velocity layer mono program, correct?

Busch.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Using both OSCs it would be possible to have a 16 velocity layer mono program, correct?

Busch.

Multisamples can be stereo, so by using both OSCs you can have 16 *stereo* velocity layers within a single Program.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
operaman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
burningbusch wrote:

Busch.

Multisamples can be stereo, so by using both OSCs you can have 16 *stereo* velocity layers within a single Program.

Best regards,

Dan

First off, looking at the specs I am happy as it is. Still, talking about samples, will it be possible in the future to upgrade the memory to say 2 GB RAM or with all of the underlying architecture is the machine at its maximum for memory?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity layers in user samples? Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
The system comes with 2GB of physical RAM, of which a little less than 1GB is used for the system and the "ROM" samples. So, a little more than 1GB is free for user-configurable samples. In the factory configuration, about 750 MB of this is used by Korg sample libraries, leaving about 270MB free (last time I checked), but if you like you dump all of these and load your own instead.

Well then, let's hope that we would be able to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM...
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

operaman wrote:

First off, looking at the specs I am happy as it is. Still, talking about samples, will it be possible in the future to upgrade the memory to say 2 GB RAM or with all of the underlying architecture is the machine at its maximum for memory?

Hi! We know that it would be good to be able to upgrade the memory. That's all that I can say at the moment.
heisenberg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgradable memory is a powerful marketing tool given your emphasis on silly amounts of storage. But you knew that!
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to stack more than two samples at the same time in the same oscillator using crossfade/layering? OASYS/M3 could stack only two.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
burningbusch wrote:

Busch.

Best regards,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Kronos contains many Programs and Multisamples of OASYS. Are they reworked to match this "finer" or "more sensitive" velocity switching (8 multisamples on 8 layers)?
Or the 8 layers in Kronos practically contain the 4 Multisamples from OASYS Programs (for example the same on every 2 layers)?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

it is a completely new experience to me to get answers so fast, and from someone from the company who knows the specs.

Yes I will check the Oasys pdfs for sample editing.

Thank you very much for your promt answer!
It has probably brought me one step closer to buy a new Kronos in May (or whenever we can get hands on it here in Germany).
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megakazbek wrote:
Is it possible to stack more than two samples at the same time in the same oscillator using crossfade/layering? OASYS/M3 could stack only two.

As with those previous synths, you can crossfade or layer adjacent velocity layers. So, at any given velocity, a two-"oscillator" HD-1 Program can play up to four stereo samples (or eight when using crossfading Wave Sequences, of course). For more layers than that, Combinations are the tool to use.

Did you see my response to you in re Wave Sequencing, btw?

Best regards,

Dan
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:

Hi Dan,

Kronos contains many Programs and Multisamples of OASYS. Are they reworked to match this "finer" or "more sensitive" velocity switching (8 multisamples on 8 layers)?
Or the 8 layers in Kronos practically contain the 4 Multisamples from OASYS Programs (for example the same on every 2 layers)?

Hi Akos,

In general, older Programs will still use the original velocity layers, so the extra four velocity slots will be unused. The structure doesn't require that all slots be used, so they'll be empty instead of duplicated.

Best regards,

Dan
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Hi Dan,

it is a completely new experience to me to get answers so fast, and from someone from the company who knows the specs.

Yes I will check the Oasys pdfs for sample editing.

Thank you very much for your promt answer!
It has probably brought me one step closer to buy a new Kronos in May (or whenever we can get hands on it here in Germany).

Thanks - I'm glad that I'm able to help!

- Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: