Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AL-1 Sound Demos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also a bunch of AL-1 demos on the OASYS page at korg.com. Go to:

http://www.korg.com/oasys

...and select "AL-1 demos" near the bottom of the drop-down "Features" menu. (Depending on your screen size, you may have to scroll up before opening the menu - it's pretty long!)

Note that even though some of these sound like full mixes, they're all from individual Programs, no overdubs.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan!

I just reviewed that "old" AL-1 video overview/demo and I realized that I haven't seen that shirt in my closet lately. Must still be packed away from the big move. Anyway...

Everything in that video is 100% relevant to the Kronos. The feature set I explored in that video, along with the low-aliasing oscillators and so on are to be found in Kronos as well. So if anyone's interested in seeing what AL-1 is capable of, that video is perfectly viable.

-=PS=-
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
I'm VERY curious to see the video(s).
Don't break it down to half!
Make two of it! Cool

I did just that (25 minutes worth, split into two). One is uploaded, the second is coming. (will post soon)

I don't want to mislead you with the pianos, I concentrated on synth sounds and how animated some of those engines can get. I hope they are still helpful to you, though.

can you post the link please?
OrientExpressMB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AL-1 Sound Demos? Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

Hi Jim!

Peter Schwartz did a cool video back in the OASYS days. The sound appears to include speakers in the room (not just direct line-out from the synth) so the audio isn't perfect, but it's a great overview with lots of technical details.

http://www.korg.com:80/mediaplayer.aspx?md=1855&pd=214

Best regards,

Dan

Dan -

"...back in the OASYS days."

What is that about? It's still the OASYS days - take a look at the OASYS forum - it's been buzzing lately. And new music is still emeging on it - I was at Herbie Hancock recently and OASYS features quite heavily on his amazing, CURRENT album "The Imagine Project". What the hell is going on in your company regarding OASYS - it's like "Bedford Wives" - like you're all programmed to pretend OASYS never existed, or that it's some distant, unimportant event?! About the most curious marketing ploy I've ever come across - honestly!

Kevin.

I'm thinking the same thing. I really don't understand Dan.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AL-1 Sound Demos? Reply with quote

OrientExpressMB wrote:

Peter's video was from the OASYS launch in 2005, six years ago. No particularly deep meaning intended, just "back in the day..."

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AL-1 Sound Demos? Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
OrientExpressMB wrote:

Peter's video was from the OASYS launch in 2005, six years ago. No particularly deep meaning intended, just "back in the day..."

This is simply outrageous. Back in the day? BACK IN THE DAY? Don't you know that most Oasys users played their instrument AT NIGHT? Why does Korg insist on denigrating the legacy of the Oasys? I really think this might be the last straw.

Laughing
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AL-1 Sound Demos? Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
OrientExpressMB wrote:

This is simply outrageous. Back in the day? BACK IN THE DAY? Don't you know that most Oasys users played their instrument AT NIGHT? Why does Korg insist on denigrating the legacy of the Oasys? I really think this might be the last straw.

Yeh - it's true. We only come at night for fear of turning to dust if the sun hits us! Wink
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find most of that stuff quite fascinating, though I again perceive a strange over-represantation of FM and bell kind of sounds and atmospheres.

Anyway, what I think is nearly completely missing in these demos, are simply sounds in broad variety for today's gigging musicians, as I already said:

a) from classical synth history (in a very broad sense anything from moogish leads and basses and all the other classics, ARP, Oberheim SequentialCuircuits, Juno/Jupiter, CS80 or whatever kind of halfway recognizeable stuff.
Or speaking of classical keyboarders: it seems I might have a hard time finding ANYTHING reminiscent of such different synth heroes as Joe Zawinul, Herbie Hancock, Keith Emerson, Tangerine dream, Vangelis or whatever (you know the long list of synth 'heros').
As keyboarder I have a strong interest in having such key sounds more or less ready for play, and only then tweak away according to whatever taste or purpose or program own sounds.

b) same counts from classical electronica up to actual genres. I don't need the AL-1, MS-20 or Polysix to replace my Access Virus TI, but it would still be quite practical to find a library of classical electronica sounds, from reminding of Vangelis or Klaus Schulze, up to on the spot dub step, in a multi-synth engine as powerful as the Kronos.

Maybe I overlooked single examples for that, or I don't yet know enough of the new patches. But I just would like to give feedback to Korg, that with the new price tag they reach a new, much much bigger kind of interest group, and many of them will not be ambience music or filmscore composers.

Whoever is responsible for the presets of the engines should keep that in mind. Otherwise you might present an extremely powerful machine, while many have problems detecting the benefit for their everyday use as musicians, doing anything from classic rock, electric jazz, funk, r&b, up to house and other electronica. In this case everyboday will say "the Kronos is great", while actually buying and using something more related to actual everyday use!

Just a first impression not meant bad in any way, but:
This spaceship has not yet landed on the funky planet earth Wink in everyday preset life, as far as I can hear right now!
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
There are also a bunch of AL-1 demos on the OASYS page at korg.com. Go to:

http://www.korg.com/oasys

...and select "AL-1 demos" near the bottom of the drop-down "Features" menu. (Depending on your screen size, you may have to scroll up before opening the menu - it's pretty long!)

Note that even though some of these sound like full mixes, they're all from individual Programs, no overdubs.
I think i just broke my Jaw Shocked The Mod-7 sounds sounds really really nice

Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
I'm VERY curious to see the video(s).
Don't break it down to half!
Make two of it! Cool

I did just that (25 minutes worth, split into two). One is uploaded, the second is coming. (will post soon)

I don't want to mislead you with the pianos, I concentrated on synth sounds and how animated some of those engines can get. I hope they are still helpful to you, though.

can you post the link please?

Here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58433

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?753746-HC-KSS-Synth-Demos&p=13390728#post13390728

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2731432-Kronos-OASYS-synth-engine-demos
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

Anyway, what I think is nearly completely missing in these demos, are simply sounds in broad variety for today's gigging musicians, as I already said

You're absolutely right that those AL-1 demos are mostly not oriented towards meat-and-potatoes gigging sounds, and so I completely understand your question. I think in general the temptation with individual sound demos is to go for the "wow" factor.

Between the internal banks, extra sounds on the disk, and extra sounds downloadable from Korg's site, the KRONOS should ship with around 3,000 (!!!) Programs and around 500 Combis. That's a lot to go around, and they include a wide variety of sounds, including many straightforward, gig-ready Programs. I imagine that there will be more demos of these to come, as we get closer to shipping.

Best regards,

Dan
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, of course I won't overestimate that kind of first impression, and the presented stuff is great in it's own way.

Maybe I'm just curious what we may meet in those Kronos presets Smile , and yes, I was a bit surprised not to find more of that everyday stuff from long lasting Oasys times.

My hope just is, that Korg is aware of the kind of sounds, which many users would like to get from all the powerful engines. The target group's concerns and expectations might change considerably compared to Oasys times, soon as the Kronos hits the shelves. So to say, from "show me that special 7000$ sound" to simply asking "can I do this or that on this great machine, and is a preset coming close available?"

If it is possible to provide well chosen examples of this kind of everyday presets before the Kronos arrives, this would probably be very helpful for many potential users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: