Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manual
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
operaman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Manual Reply with quote

So, my next question as we await the arrival of this new and wondrous workstation is will it be possible to download a .pdf on how to use this machine between now and delivery? I want to begin learning as much as possible about it in advance so I can hit the ground running with it.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes where is the 1200page manual i can read before i go to sleep Very Happy

danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Reply with quote

operaman wrote:
So, my next question as we await the arrival of this new and wondrous workstation is will it be possible to download a .pdf on how to use this machine between now and delivery? I want to begin learning as much as possible about it in advance so I can hit the ground running with it.

We'll try to get the manuals up as soon as possible, but my guess is that it will still be a little while. I'll let everyone know when we do!

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
operaman wrote:

We'll try to get the manuals up as soon as possible, but my guess is that it will still be a little while. I'll let everyone know when we do!

Best regards,

Dan

Are you writing the manuals again?
(and I hope its not a copy&paste of the Oasys manual)
Because you seriously write one of the best manuals for instruments and it would be a pleasure to read I'm sure.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

Best regards,

Dan

Are you writing the manuals again?
(and I hope its not a copy&paste of the Oasys manual)
Because you seriously write one of the best manuals for instruments and it would be a pleasure to read I'm sure.

That's very kind of you! Yes, I am writing & editing them again. There are many similarities to the OASYS manuals, to be sure.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan,

One topic that would be interesting to see in the Kronos manual is a section that helps understand which sounds are loaded into RAM and which are streamed from the SSD, something similar to the section in the OASYS manual that talked about RAM use.

The whole purpose being users getting a better understanding of how much RAM is available for user-created sample-based sounds.

Thanks.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Hey Dan,

One topic that would be interesting to see in the Kronos manual is a section that helps understand which sounds are loaded into RAM and which are streamed from the SSD, something similar to the section in the OASYS manual that talked about RAM use.

The whole purpose being users getting a better understanding of how much RAM is available for user-created sample-based sounds.

Thanks.

When loading EXs, you can set for each Multisample/Drum Sample whether it is loaded into RAM or played via VMT (or just set all of them at once, if desired). KSC functionality is expanded to encompass EXs as well as user samples. You can load individual Multisamples or Drum Samples from an EXs, as desired. The factory preset KSC loads all of several of the EXs, and then parts of others. One or more KSC files can be automatically loaded at startup. You can preview the effect on memory of loading or auto-loading sample data; in general, the UI reporting for this is improved, which should go some ways towards addressing your concerns above.

Btw, the auto-load interface includes a user-created list of favorite KSC files, for which you can simply turn on and off auto-loading individually; you can also load the selected KSC immediately from the same page. I expect that this will handle the needs of most users, most of the time, without need to navigate to files in Disk mode.

Best regards,

Dan
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Btw, the auto-load interface includes a user-created list of favorite KSC files, for which you can simply turn on and off auto-loading individually; you can also load the selected KSC immediately from the same page. I expect that this will handle the needs of most users, most of the time, without need to navigate to files in Disk mode.

Best regards,

Dan

That is such a welcomed feature!!!

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
synthskier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
When loading EXs, you can set for each Multisample/Drum Sample whether it is loaded into RAM or played via VMT
Why would we ever want to play EXs from RAM? I would think we would want *everything* (sample-based) to be done with VMT so all available RAM could be free for our own custom samples or 3rd party stuff.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the info Dan.

Is there any limitation of the VMT? (I guess the VMT is a sort of RAM memory used for cache/swap between OS and SSD... am I right, or the VMT is pure memory on the SSD dedicated as virtual RAM?)

I mean, the VMT isn't explained anywhere and I really wish to know which kind and how much EXs, which size of sample I can "pre-load" to be able to play them...

Would you mind to give us some light on that?

Thanks a million
Phil
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VMT is exactly the same thing as DFD in Kontakt. Attack portions of each sample is loaded to RAM, and the rest is streamed from the SSD.

It has its limits. If you fill your RAM with attack portions of lots of samples, you'll have no room at all for your own custom samples.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but Kontakt does have option to have more or less attack portions in memory... What would be the Kronos ratio? 10%, 20% ?

Apparently we can't load all EXs in VMT (from what Sharp said)... so what's the limit?

Phil
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
Sure, but Kontakt does have option to have more or less attack portions in memory... What would be the Kronos ratio? 10%, 20% ?

Apparently we can't load all EXs in VMT (from what Sharp said)... so what's the limit?

Phil

I'm not sure that there's a straightforward answer to that question, since there are many variables. I can say that the standard preload includes something around 11 GB of data - not quite all of the EXs data on the disk, but most of it. EXs2 (the older OASYS big concert grand piano) is on the disk but not included in the preload, for instance.

- Dan
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dan... ok, it's good enough to get an idea on the possibilities.

It also make sense to not load the EXs-2, when we can load EXs-6 or 7 which are just awesome!!

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: