Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH3 KEYBED
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: RH3 KEYBED Reply with quote

I'll tell you this much, people:

It looks like an amazing beast, but I just can't stand that RH3 keybed. The 88-key bed especially feels quite "fake" to me.

Just a matter of opinion. Loyal Korgie, love the products.. Just yearn for that old RH2 feel.

"How do you spell a good instrument? K O R G!"
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree here.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the differences between RH3 and RH2?
I have the RH2 on the Oasys and it feels quite good.
(The heavy bass notes contra the lighter treble notes - I don't feel so much of a difference)
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the RH2 weighted keys of my O88, they are very good. I've tried the SV-1 several times and longer in a calm shop - it was so enjoyable I couldn't stop playing! According to the specs Kronos 73 and 88 has the same RH3 keybed.

For me both RH2 and RH3 are very good but RH3 is even better.

But let me add something:

It's very important how the keys trigger the sound. So it's simply not enough to ask: which keybed is better. We have to ask also: in which instrument?

My advice: your taste might differ so please try it for yourself - the instrument with own keybed. I mean it's not enough to try SV-1 now. Even if you may find it good, you still don't know how Kronos will react when you play on her own keys. You can decide only then if it's good for you.
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Triton Extreme had an RH3 key bed that I just loved.
When I first got my Oasys 88 it almost felt almost unweighted - or semi-weighted in comparison.
Honestly, I prefer the RH3, but of course that's just my preference.
It also occurs to me that I've become so used to the RH2 that it might take some re-getting used to if I were to find myself in front of a Kronos with RH3.
Regretfully, I was forced to throw my TEX 88 into the bay (eBay) to help fund my O back in '08, but I did manage to acquire an unweighted 61 key TEX about a year ago.
Lots of good sounds that seem to grow even bigger when piped through my O's inputs!
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hermanmusic wrote:

Sorry, I don't think that. RH3 came first in SV-1, not?
jojo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
It's very important how the keys trigger the sound. So it's simply not enough to ask: which keybed is better. We have to ask also: in which instrument?

I mean in general. Weighted keys are simulating a...what? Real piano keybed, in which case I think you would agree with me: You can't play organ parts, etc quite right with weighted keys. Don't get me wrong, I'll take 88 key almost any day of the week, generally... but you know.. even with its lovely waterfall keys, a, say, B3 doesn't have weighted keys for a reason.

"How do you spell a good instrument? K O R G!"
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hermanmusic wrote:
When I first got my Oasys 88 it almost felt almost unweighted - or semi-weighted in comparison.

Just a clarification. Both the Triton Extreme 88 and OASYS 88 have the RH2 keybed (I even confimed this by looking at the Service Manuals).

The M3-88 has the RH3 keybed, as does the new Kronos 88.

I believe the Korg SP-250 was the first Korg 88-key keyboard to have the RH3 keybed.

While there may be some differences betweeen the RH2 and RH3, all keyboard manufacturers had to remove lead from their products due to ROHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) law.

For example Yamaha replaced their lead-based "FS" synth action keybeds with the "FSX" keybeds.
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M50-88 also uses RH3. All very subjective, I know, but for what it's worth, it's BY FAR the nicest weighted keyboard I've played...
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great feedback on this topic.

I really enjoy the O88 RH2 keybed, except sometimes it makes slight "key" or "plastic" noises. No its not a fault, its just how its manufactured.

But if the RH3 is an improvement, rather than just something different, then that gives something to look forward to on the Kronos.

Akos, I think it shouldn't matter what synth the keybed is on, the triggering is all the same yes?
Link

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like RH3 either, based on M50. BUT, does anybody know if there are any differences in feel between, say M50, and other keyboards with RH3? I know there are aftertouch in some models, but how about the feel. I love M3's synthaction though! I'm struggling to make a choice between 61 and 73 models, for I'd like to get weighted keys too, and 73 -model would be perfect opportunity to get it, if only I didn't dislike it.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
Akos, I think it shouldn't matter what synth the keybed is on, the triggering is all the same yes?

When I say "triggering" I don't mean the technical details. I mean the full way how the sound is created - the whole process from the moment you touch the key until you finally hear the sound.

That's why it's pointless to say "this keybed is good in itself, and that is not good". It always also depends on which instrument includes that keybed - because the sound modules are also different: one is more sensitive, the other is less sensitive, etc.

So even if RH3 is (IMHO) very good, I say it because I have the experience with RH3 in the SV-1. If you put RH3 in another instrument the result might be - and most probably will be - different.

To get the answer for the original question I think we have to try the RH3 in Kronos itself. Then we will know how Kronos reacts when triggering it with the RH3 keys.
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of wish synths in general gave customers more freedom when it comes to customizing the products. Choose keybed type and size, colours on led's, buttons, layout and chassis. Like computers, pick the components you like and put it together. Smile
UKSimon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great but it ain't gonna happen. I would love an 88 note synth action keyboard.
As I would be using it as a controller as well, so many of the latest software samplers like Kontakt have keyswitches in the lower octave of the 88 note controller. The problem though is weighted keys are great for playing piano parts, but everything else such as drums and orchestral parts a synth action is much better. Unfortunately for me no 88 note synth action or controllers exist

Oh well

Cheers
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKSimon wrote:
That would be great but it ain't gonna happen. I would love an 88 note synth action keyboard.
As I would be using it as a controller as well, so many of the latest software samplers like Kontakt have keyswitches in the lower octave of the 88 note controller. The problem though is weighted keys are great for playing piano parts, but everything else such as drums and orchestral parts a synth action is much better. Unfortunately for me no 88 note synth action or controllers exist

Oh well

Cheers

My piano teacher tells me that it's better to use Weighted keys to strengthen your fingers. I would guess stronger fingers on weighted keys, would maby be similar to weak fingers on synth-action keys. If I stick to weighted keys, synth action keys would feel very light. It's a mix of facts and theories there. Smile. At the begining I started doing piano lessons on synth-action keys, once I tried weighted keys a while after, it was like starting all over again.Just look at Jordan Rudess play on those weighted keys, he's quicker then me playing loose in the air. So my point is, after playing a while on weighted keys, you can do drums, organs or whatever, just like you do now with synth-action keys.

But like allways, I could be wrong. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: