Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Step Sequencer and Virtual "Chord Pads"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Kronos Step Sequencer and Virtual "Chord Pads" Reply with quote

Hi all - in reading through the various threads and going through what I could locate online, it seems as if the Kronos has a step sequencer - or at least a step sequencer as a function of the VA engines. Is this a global step sequencer (i.e. could I apply it to the FM Synth for instance), or is it simply built in to the various analog synth engines? And is it a full blown step sequencer in that you can change from one pattern to another, or simply limited to a single step sequence or "riff"?

I also love the Korg approach to "chord memory", in that you can assign (or have pre-assigned) chords to pads. I know how this works on an M3 - will the Kronos' virtual pads offer the same thing, or is it limited to triggering drum sounds?

Many thanks!
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Step Sequencer and Virtual "Chord Pads" Reply with quote

Jive Talking Robot wrote:
will the Kronos' virtual pads offer the same thing

Yep.
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Now that is wicked. I have never had a workstation w/ drum pads on it before, so I guess I am not missing much by not having physical pads on the front panel. That they thought to include them virtually is quite nice (though I see some complaining). They managed to keep the 61 in my price range, so for that I am grateful.

Now if that step sequencer is baked in as an alternative to the "traditional" sequencer, it would be a fun way to work at times. Step sequencers are not my "go to", but I do appreciate what they can bring to workflow.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be interested in this thread at my Kronos forums:

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17669

danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Step Sequencer and Virtual "Chord Pads" Reply with quote

Jive Talking Robot wrote:
Hi all - in reading through the various threads and going through what I could locate online, it seems as if the Kronos has a step sequencer - or at least a step sequencer as a function of the VA engines. Is this a global step sequencer (i.e. could I apply it to the FM Synth for instance), or is it simply built in to the various analog synth engines? And is it a full blown step sequencer in that you can change from one pattern to another, or simply limited to a single step sequence or "riff"?

All EXi Programs have a "common" step sequencer (one mod source for all voices in the Program); the AL-1 and MOD-7 each also have per-voice step sequencers (with, potentially, different values for each note). For more on this, see:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=365303#365303

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stephen and Dan! The links were helpful.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't judge the "missing pads". I personnaly think that if it's a financial reason, that's kind of stupid, but if it's physical to keep the keyboard depth pretty small, then it makes complete sense to me.

So, from what I do understand, there's 8 Pads on the screen, we can assign them to midi and have chord assign... fine enough... except than it would be cool to have 16 Pads (since it's only software).

Using external PadKontrol, Kontrol49, MPC, and any other 4x4 Pads controlers would be even better, don't you think?

Phil
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
So, from what I do understand, there's 8 Pads on the screen, we can assign them to midi and have chord assign... fine enough... except than it would be cool to have 16 Pads (since it's only software).

Using external PadKontrol, Kontrol49, MPC, and any other 4x4 Pads controlers would be even better, don't you think?

Sure, I agree - except that would have been a major modification to the KARMA Lib inside the keyboard (16 pads instead of 8 ), and to the KRONOS software, and to the GUI (need another page), and to the memory architecture (have to store all those additional notes and settings)...and that was not in the plan. Actually, there was some discussion about completely removing the pads page and features (to which I was completely opposed, as you might imagine) - and thankfully, it was decided to keep all of the functionality, even without the physical pads.

Anyway, as promised some time ago, here is an image of the pads page. As you can see, when the "Enable Pad Play" button is on, each of the 8 colums is a single big chord button, and vertical position equals velocity (if the "Fixed Velocity" button is off):

SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info and the screenshot.

Of course I donumderstand we always want more and more but there's concerns and sometimes major changes that can't be done in the first place.

But since the Kronos doesn't have pads and we will surely use external pads and most if external pads do have 16, it would be great to consider it for the next update and Karma update (such the 8 GEs) Wink

I can see room for a page tabs Pads1-8 and Pads9-16.

My 2 cents
Phil
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the screenshot Mr Kay, Im still wondering if you can play two pads at the same time? my guess is no where the touchscreen itself is the restriction?

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Lord wrote:
Thanks for the screenshot Mr Kay, Im still wondering if you can play two pads at the same time? my guess is no where the touchscreen itself is the restriction?

You cannot play two pads at the same time from the screen, but you can from an external controller.

Jon Lord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Jon Lord wrote:

You cannot play two pads at the same time from the screen, but you can from an external controller.
Cheers just what i thought, just have to find the smallest pad-controller existing Smile

Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen looks nice, I wonder if the Kronos would ever have a step sequencer for the "drum tracks" that looks like that, and a pattern based sequencer, DS-10 style. It would be amazing for being able to do all that with such a screen.

It's mentioned:
"Applications and extras have been unstintingly poured into this single feature. The Drum Track can go beyond rhythm machines, and is fully capable of standing on its own."

Sounds exciting! Anybody knows exactly about this?
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Jon Lord wrote:

Is it possible to assign the "Pad function" to certain keys instead? (Sorry if I missed something but I don't remember if it's possible on OASYS.)
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
Jon Lord wrote:

Is it possible to assign the "Pad function" to certain keys instead? (Sorry if I missed something but I don't remember if it's possible on OASYS.)

I don't believe that it is possible, at least easily. The feature does not exist as an actual "feature". One could, perhaps, set the chord pads in Global > MIDI> Controllers to respond to note numbers, and then route the output of the KRONOS back into itself (I have tried weird things like this Wink), but the potential exists too easily for MIDI loops (which while they will not hurt your synth, are annoying and sometimes quite noisy as well.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: