Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS new sample libraries in the future ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muziksculp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: KRONOS new sample libraries in the future ? Reply with quote

Hi,

First, I would like to Congratulate the KORG engineers, and designers for developing a revolutionary new Workstation (KRONOS) !

The streaming from SSD drive (30 GB) is by itself a big breakthrough, and imho. is the dawn of a new era for HW-Workstations that unfortunately, were stuck in the MB's domain, but, now things are surely going to change, HW-Workstations will be closing in on Software samplers.

Hopefully, this will translate into the ability of HW-Workstations to immensely improve the degree of realism they can offer in emulating acoustic instruments. I'm very excited about this new technological breakthrough, and feel it is going to have a huge impact on reviving the HW-Workstation/Sampler marketplace.

Since the new KRONOS comes with 12GB of sample based instruments on board, I wonder if KORG will be offering additional (Ultra-Realistic Sounding, and Very Expressive) sample libraries, in the near future, for the KRONOS that will cover :

Orchestral Strings (Section & Solo)
Orchestral Winds (Section & Solo)
Orchestral Brass (Section & Solo)
Orchestral Percussion
World Instruments
Guitars (Nylon, Steel, Electric)
World Percussion
Choirs
Any other sample libraries ?

If this is planned for in the near future, I would surely go forward with adding this powerful new, and revolutionary workstation from KORG.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

muziksculp
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can already count on KARO sound banks for oasys. Kronos can read sounds that were made on oasys. More, with kronos, you will be able to load them at start up! great ! great !
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know that the sounds preinstalled on there aren't already fantastic enough without expansion?

Sorry but people seem to be too preoccupied with expansion and whats missing, adding new sounds and future OS updates rather than what the synth can already do.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

Sorry but people seem to be too preoccupied with expansion and whats missing, adding new sounds and future OS updates rather than what the synth can already do.

i agree. there is lot inside already, not mentionning existing third party expansions that were made for the oasys
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
you can already count on KARO sound banks for oasys. Kronos can read sounds that were made on oasys. More, with kronos, you will be able to load them at start up! great ! great !

True, but wouldn't loading those sounds be considered as "user samples" then? In that case, those samples cannot be streamed from the SSD and need to be loaded in RAM completely...
SoulBe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
X-Trade wrote:

i agree. there is lot inside already, not mentionning existing third party expansions that were made for the oasys

+1

After about 2 1/2 years I only scratched the surface of some synth engines in OASYS. So a lot is provided and esp. think of KARO libraries, they will be available for Kronos.

Regards
SoulBe
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
RC-IA wrote:

True, but wouldn't loading those sounds be considered as "user samples" then? In that case, those samples cannot be streamed from the SSD and need to be loaded in RAM completely...

this might help:

danatkorg wrote:
MartinHines wrote:
Hey Dan,

One topic that would be interesting to see in the Kronos manual is a section that helps understand which sounds are loaded into RAM and which are streamed from the SSD, something similar to the section in the OASYS manual that talked about RAM use.

The whole purpose being users getting a better understanding of how much RAM is available for user-created sample-based sounds.

Thanks.

When loading EXs, you can set for each Multisample/Drum Sample whether it is loaded into RAM or played via VMT (or just set all of them at once, if desired). KSC functionality is expanded to encompass EXs as well as user samples. You can load individual Multisamples or Drum Samples from an EXs, as desired. The factory preset KSC loads all of several of the EXs, and then parts of others. One or more KSC files can be automatically loaded at startup. You can preview the effect on memory of loading or auto-loading sample data; in general, the UI reporting for this is improved, which should go some ways towards addressing your concerns above.

Btw, the auto-load interface includes a user-created list of favorite KSC files, for which you can simply turn on and off auto-loading individually; you can also load the selected KSC immediately from the same page. I expect that this will handle the needs of most users, most of the time, without need to navigate to files in Disk mode.

Best regards,

Dan

danatkorg wrote:

jimknopf wrote:
3. I read in the specs that sampling is limited to 512Mb.

That sounds like it's from one of the pre-release rumors. The system comes with 2GB of physical RAM, of which a little less than 1GB is used for the system and the "ROM" samples. So, a little more than 1GB is free for user-configurable samples. In the factory configuration, about 750 MB of this is used by Korg sample libraries, leaving about 270MB free (last time I checked), but if you like you can dump some or all of these and load your own instead.

Best regards,

Dan

Edit: corrected grammar.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still loaded into RAM... User samples (like the ones you'd load from KARO) cannot still be streamed... A big bummer if you ask me.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's wait for Dan's comment on this. Smile
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i understand it well, you can make Korg samples to be streamed, so you'll free 750mo and with additionnal 270mo , then you have 1gig free for your own samples in Ram.

I think we need some clarifications on those:

Can we stream USER samples? (i'll consider yes since what i understand above)

Can we me load user sample at start up? (i'll condiser, no since it's not EXs) BUT i prefer to wait for Dan anwser or someone at korg. Thanx
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp has already replied in "Kronos feedback" thread that YOU CAN'T stream user samples, he asked Korg guys at NAMM.

And you cannot free those 750 MB, because those are attack portions of the samples stored in RAM for quick access, the REST of the samples is streamed from the SSD! I mean, you can unload them completely, but then you'd have no EXs to work with at all! So, those 750 MB are STREAMING REQUIREMENTS, the part you absolutely HAVE to load for sample streaming of EXs to work AT ALL.

You don't seem to get how direct-from-disk streaming works. The samples are not streamed in their entirety from the disk! First part of the sample is in RAM, ready for fastest access possible, and while that part of the sample is played, SSD has time to fetch the rest of the sample directly from the disk. So you need to have those EXs preloaded in RAM.

On the other hand, yes you CAN preload user samples in RAM, but they WILL NOT be streamed, they will be loaded to RAM in their entirety.

These questions have already been answered in other threads, so search a little.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx.
quite difficult to get all the infos , so much threads.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Sharp has already replied in "Kronos feedback" thread that YOU CAN'T stream user samples, he asked Korg guys at NAMM.

On the other hand, yes you CAN preload user samples in RAM, but they WILL NOT be streamed, they will be loaded to RAM in their entirety.

This is the first time I've seen a definitive answer on this. Meaning cut and dry. Assuming what we've heard is true, that's too bad. I have a LOT of Akai libraries I'd love to use with Kronos.

Since that ups the RAM requirements substantially for user samples, let's hope the RAM is upgradeable. Because the remaining 273 mb isn't a whole lot. There was some speculation on "out of the box" verbage used to describe the RAM, so we'll have to wait and see.

None of this is a deal breaker, but would keep Kronos closer to the "Dream Machine" it appears to be on the surface with the specs and marketing.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

These questions have already been answered in other threads, so search a little.

I did not see this!!! if you want to make the policeman here, do it, i don't care. i always search before asking, but that was not clear and i'm not a robot! who do you think you are?
Thanx (i really don't like the tone you use)
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for libraries/updates, i think The KRONOS 'may' get something similar to the Brass update the OASYS had, with a few set of CD's. You load them in, and they are integrated with the rest of the EXis' etc, in that - unlike "samples" they will able to be streamed with the rest of the sounds. Could be demos - like on the OASYS, who paid £80 or so to "unlock" them, but could be free Idea

Tony

JOHN 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: