Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos as audio-interface and submixer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knightshift

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Kronos as audio-interface and submixer Reply with quote

Hi,
although Kronos is not available yet, I'm already thinking about how to use it in my personal live situation.

First of all, I'd like to use it as an midi&audio interface hooked up to a laptop to trigger and playback VSTIs. Is it possible to use it this way in every mode (prog, combi, seq) seemlessly, switching between them without any dropouts of the audio interface (e.g. when changing presets in setlist mode)? Can the 2 playback channels of the intface be routet to all physical outputs (main L R or individual 1-4)?

Second, I also Like to use the Kronos as some kind of submixer, connecting the outs of my pc3x to the ins of the kronos to have the master volume of the kronos as a master for both keyboards. Is this possible and if the answer is yes, can this also be done by connecting via spdif?
Furthermore, could the faders be used to control the volume of the two physical inputs?

For me a dream would come true, if i could playback backing tracks with the kronos sequencer routed to the individual outs 1-2, also playing a click tack routed to individual out 3 and have my pc3x, the internalkronos sounds and the vstis playing through the main out LR, so no submixer is needed.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos as audio-interface and submixer Reply with quote

Knightshift wrote:
For me a dream would come true, if i could playback backing tracks with the kronos sequencer routed to the individual outs 1-2, also playing a click tack routed to individual out 3 and have my pc3x, the internalkronos sounds and the vstis playing through the main out LR, so no submixer is needed.

I second the desire to;
1. Stream backing tracks on the Kronos and send it out to the individual outs 1-2
2. Send DrumTrack click out the individual out 3
3. And play a patch on the Kronos, even maybe split the keyboard between 2 different patches at the same time.

Think it can be done? If so, this may eliminate the need for my Ableton Live setup all the time.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Knightshift

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi EnjoyRC,

I think that the routing of the sequencer should be no problem! I also use Ableton Live at the moment, which then will stay at home in future. Playing one or more programs during sequencer playback should work, too. As for the splits, I'm not sure how this could been done (it's been a few years since my last 'contact' with a korg workstation)

Is there anybody who can tell me anything about the usage as audio interface in combination with vstis or about my "mixing" question?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos as audio-interface and submixer Reply with quote

Knightshift wrote:

First of all, I'd like to use it as an midi&audio interface hooked up to a laptop to trigger and playback VSTIs. Is it possible to use it this way in every mode (prog, combi, seq) seemlessly, switching between them without any dropouts of the audio interface (e.g. when changing presets in setlist mode)?

Yes.

Knightshift wrote:
Can the 2 playback channels of the intface be routet to all physical outputs (main L R or individual 1-4)?

Yes.

Knightshift wrote:
Second, I also Like to use the Kronos as some kind of submixer, connecting the outs of my pc3x to the ins of the kronos to have the master volume of the kronos as a master for both keyboards. Is this possible and if the answer is yes, can this also be done by connecting via spdif?

Yes and yes.

Knightshift wrote:
Furthermore, could the faders be used to control the volume of the two physical inputs?

Yes.

Knightshift wrote:

Yes, you can do all of this!

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
tritonlover2000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a concern about this after i listened to sound demos on Korg website. it sounds lo fi and un polished compared to a song made in the computer. i hope you get better (louder) sound and clarity when recording from kronos compared to that.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, is Malcolm around? Havent seen him in a while here or in real life.
I mean Doak...and he is nowhere to be found in the Kronos stories here.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Dan, is Malcolm around? Havent seen him in a while here or in real life.
I mean Doak...and he is nowhere to be found in the Kronos stories here.

Malcolm works at Korg USA in NY; I saw him at NAMM doing cool demos of the PA3x. A cool guy. Note that I work at Korg R&D in CA...

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

Malcolm works at Korg USA in NY; I saw him at NAMM doing cool demos of the PA3x. A cool guy. Note that I work at Korg R&D in CA...

- Dan

So the east coast and west coast are covered. Korg needs an office in Chicago. I just *HAPPEN* to be in Chicago and I can... um...

do stuff. And I'm real good at stuff.

Smile
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol...yes Dan i noticed that, i was just wondering, havent spoken or
seen him in a while...too busy with NAMM now i guess...lol. He is a fun
Guy, i met him first few years back at an Arranger Show when i was
there representing Ketron...one of the coolest i met around.
Knightshift

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Dan, thank you for your reply. The KRONOS seems to be a real feature monster which can replace half of my current live gear. This is relly great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: