Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

read oasys manual to understand kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: read oasys manual to understand kronos? Reply with quote

will reading the oasys manual help me understand the operation of kronos? Question
mymusic42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say yes, especially the sound engines. the OASYS sound engines are identical to the KRONOS ones, so that is a good way to get familiar with them. Obvisouly the new KRONOS engines won't be there but the HD1, AL1, Legacy, MOD7,and CX3 are the same.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wishing to appear to be banging my favourite drum and am actually trying to be helpful...

You will find it is worth every minute you spend reading the OASYS manual. Kronos = OASYS. The O is around 80% of the function of Kronos.

So when you get your Kronos you only have to read the 20% relating just to the Kronos.

Be warned though - I think there's around 1200 pages!

(no need to read the CX3 bit - deeply boring! Doesn't matter what you do with the drawbars - still makes a horrid sound Wink )(just my opinion)
mymusic42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the first section i read WAS the CX3 section. but then again the presence of a hammond clonewheel EXi was a manjor factor in me buying cronos!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mymusic42 wrote:
actually the first section i read WAS the CX3 section. but then again the presence of a hammond clonewheel EXi was a manjor factor in me buying cronos!

Fair enough! We all like different things and that's what's great about music - so many possibilities! The important this is you enjoy. I'm sure you'll love the Kronos, just like I love my O.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the CX3 section not faithful to its hardware counterpart?
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:

Yes, it is.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Zeroesque wrote:

Yes, it is.

I wasn't impressed by the M3 organs at all.. and the Leslie is not authentic at all. Which is why I added the Hammond XK-1 to my setup. Is the CX3 that much different than the organs in the M3.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
mymusic42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cx3 is a modeled organ (with live drawbar control); the m3 uses samples. there is no comparison

the leslie and other hammond effect (drive, vibrato, chorus, percussion) are much better on the cx3 than m3 and are built into the exi so you don't need to tap into your insert effects to get those key effects.

i think the cx3 is better than the roland vk series. i had an original hammond xm1c module years ago. the cx3 is better than that, but i was watching some demos the other day and it looks like the newer models (maybe what enjoyrc has) sound better.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, Cello, but I think you are the only one I've heard say that he didn't like the CX-3 organ. Supposedly, it actually improves on original, having extra parameters, etc.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-
In the final group of progams and combi sounds korg gave us oasys owners for free there are a few cx3 organ sounds that are really incredible...these sounds are based on john novello hammond organ settings.

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
No offense, Cello, but I think you are the only one I've heard say that he didn't like the CX-3 organ. Supposedly, it actually improves on original, having extra parameters, etc.

None taken Mike!

It's not that I think the Korg CX-3 (original or engine) quality is bad - it could well be the best, I don't know!

It's only my jaundaced subjectivety - I cannot abide that whole CX-3 'sound world'! Complete waste of hard disk space and development time and sound bank slots that I could use for something much more interesting! Laughing
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
I cannot abide that whole CX-3 'sound world'! Complete waste of hard disk space and development time and sound bank slots that I could use for something much more interesting! Laughing

You know, I don't use it myself! I've heard people swear by it, but like you, my interests are elsewhere. Wink
mymusic42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Quote:
I cannot abide that whole CX-3 'sound world'! Complete waste of hard disk space and development time and sound bank slots that I could use for something much more interesting!

I'm the opposite, i think the MonoPoly/MS20 is a waste, but I'm sure I play a different type of music than you.

I don't know if the Kronos will support new engines, but I think that a great marketing model for Korg for the Kronos successor is to create a generic platform to host EXIs. The basic model might include just a sequencer (and maybe HD1). Then all other EXIs could be available for purchase. That way people could customize a Korg workstation that only has the soundsets that make sense for them and none of the ones that don't interest them.

That would resolve the hard disk space problem you refer to; you wouldn't need to load anything you don't want. It wouldn't do any thing about development time (presumably you mean Korg developers...). But as far as sound banks, the thing i I love about Korg is that everything is writeable. SO even today, you can overwrite the CX3 slots, so no worries there
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mymusic42 wrote:
cello wrote:
Quote:
I cannot abide that whole CX-3 'sound world'! Complete waste of hard disk space and development time and sound bank slots that I could use for something much more interesting!

I'm the opposite, i think the MonoPoly/MS20 is a waste, but I'm sure I play a different type of music than you.

I don't know if the Kronos will support new engines, but I think that a great marketing model for Korg for the Kronos successor is to create a generic platform to host EXIs. The basic model might include just a sequencer (and maybe HD1). Then all other EXIs could be available for purchase. That way people could customize a Korg workstation that only has the soundsets that make sense for them and none of the ones that don't interest them.

That would resolve the hard disk space problem you refer to; you wouldn't need to load anything you don't want. It wouldn't do any thing about development time (presumably you mean Korg developers...). But as far as sound banks, the thing i I love about Korg is that everything is writeable. SO even today, you can overwrite the CX3 slots, so no worries there

Yeh, I guess we have to remember we're talking about a workstation - which means it tries to be all things to all people! So inevitably (as we've just proved) there will be all sorts of engines/banks that don't get used byt their (current) owner!

Can I overwrite the CX-3 slots? I thought that in the O the sound banks 'belonged' to engines?

Would be great if Korg would do as you suggest so that we could buy the engines we want - even from 3rd parties. But as Korg tried this and failed (remember O = 'Open'!), I think the desire fulfil this kind of (brilliant) notion has left Korg and so I seriously doubt if the Kronos will ever go that direction...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: