Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No XLR phantom powered mic input on Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slovenec

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: No XLR phantom powered mic input on Kronos? Reply with quote

The Oasys offered phantom powered XLR mic inputs. The Roland Fantom G offers 1 of these also.

Why did Korg not include at least 1 XLR input with phantom power if they're marketing the Kronos as a 'do it all workstation'?

Yep it's good that you can use your favourite external mic pres via SPDIF but still when living on that desert island and you only want to take one peice of hardware....................!
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost control. To get the Kronos price, Korg had to remove some of the expensive hardware items that were on the OASYS.

All workstations are "compromise" products.
Slovenec

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Cost control. To get the Kronos price, Korg had to remove some of the expensive hardware items that were on the OASYS.

Yep point taken.... however, Roland was able to include this on their Fantom G series for example and they aren't an Oasys priced instrument.

At least 1 phantom powered mic pre should have been included in a product marketing itself as a music workstation with a 16 track audio recorder.

If I was in the market for a Kronos, it honestly wouldn't be a deal breaker and no doubt I'd prefer to use my Focusrite Twin Q preamp via SPDIF into the Kronos. However, for someone wanting just one bit of gear to take away and use for demos when they're on holiday whilst they leave the big studio at home, then it could be a deal breaker at the price.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro, if you're serious do yourself a favor and get a real mic preamp. A good Mic preamp starts at about half the price of Kronos.

The preamp that korg would include is probably no better than what you would find on a mackie or even behringer mixer! Taking a direct out from a mixer to the keyboard is a trivial affair. If you don't at least have one of these, then I don't know what to say.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
guillex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:

Well, for me it's not important the xlr mic input, but, cost control??? In my country, Argentina, the prices will be:

Kronos 61: U$S 3.710,00
Kronos 73: U$S 4.231,00
Kronos 88: U$S 4.440,00

And as a reference, a person takes about 1000 dollars monthly in a GOOD job.

By the way, the M3 61 cost NOW, 1995 dollars...

So, Kronos will be for rich people here....
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3, 4 or 5 years from now, Korg will have good returns in their development cost with the Kronos sells... so they could release a Kronos 2 with XLR, LEDs for faders and knobs, some software improvements (new sounds, new features, etc..), Pads and eventually a tilted screen, probably for the same price (or cheaper) than the Kronos...

That's unfortunately how the market is today... If a manufacture would know they will sell millions of units, they could involve more development and find a way to reduce the cost... but to get to this point, you first need to develop small series (Oasys), which cost way more... and then develop larger series and/or you need do compromises.

Behind each products (and electronic devices), there's people working to produce them. The final price does include the production cost, but also distribution cost. The production cost is global since the units are produced in the same factories. So, differences prices between countries are due to the distribution model... which includes, importers, import taxes, local distributors, local fees for tech support, manual translation or so... in regard of the number of unit expected to be sold in the country.

For keyboards, the US do represent 50% of the global market. The distribution is based on large store chain (such Guitar Center or so) without need of individual importer. So, they can negotiate a better distribution cost than other country.

It's always sad than poorer always need to pay more... mainly when it concerns food, education and culture (including music). I feel sorry to hear the situation in Argentina, but let's see what the final price will be when it will be available in stores. Even for Europe (which is the second market after US), we saw a lot of speculation with crazy high prices.

Phil
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: no mic input please Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy the Kronos if it would cost a lot more because of one (or more) mic inputs ... I really don't need one. Better to spend it on something EVERYone needs on a workstation: better sounds.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the specs:

"The analog inputs provide a MIC/LINE select switch and an independent level control for each channel, offering the flexibility to meet any situation. "

If your condenser mic does not have an option for batteries, I don't see why something like the Behringer PS400 Phantom Power Supply wouldn't work.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/PS400.aspx

Note: this is not a mic pre, it just supplies phantom power, $21.

Busch.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on that desert island..... doesn't a good condensor mic count as an item?
Surely you'd just be using a cheap dynamic Wink
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ravenmek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guillex wrote:
MartinHines wrote:

Well, for me it's not important the xlr mic input, but, cost control??? In my country, Argentina, the prices will be:

Kronos 61: U$S 3.710,00
Kronos 73: U$S 4.231,00
Kronos 88: U$S 4.440,00

And as a reference, a person takes about 1000 dollars monthly in a GOOD job.

By the way, the M3 61 cost NOW, 1995 dollars...

So, Kronos will be for rich people here....

Or for people who work just for buying musical instruments (like me, nevermind earning 350 dollars a month). Yes, guille, living here, the kronos is fricking expensive.
jmexio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravenmek wrote:

Or for people who work just for buying musical instruments (like me, nevermind earning 350 dollars a month). Yes, guille, living here, the kronos is fricking expensive.

Glad to see I'm not the only one fitting that category and income range Very Happy

Luckily, I have my M3 88 to sell to make for a big chunk of the money, but still...

You guys wouldn't know of some nice argentinean looking to buy an M3 in very good condition, would you? Laughing Laughing

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
ravenmek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmexio wrote:
ravenmek wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one fitting that category and income range Very Happy

Luckily, I have my M3 88 to sell to make for a big chunk of the money, but still...

You guys wouldn't know of some nice argentinean looking to buy an M3 in very good condition, would you? Laughing Laughing

Cheers,
Juan Miguel

Except for my piano teacher, I am the only keyboard player I know in Bs. As. Laughing
guillex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravenmek wrote:
jmexio wrote:
ravenmek wrote:

Cheers,
Juan Miguel

Except for my piano teacher, I am the only keyboard player I know in Bs. As. Laughing

jaja really? en serio? you should walk more in bsas, it's full of musicians, pianist, tecladistas, etc.... Wink
ravenmek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, sure! But all my friends (all musicians) play the guitar, or drums, or bass, violin, a classical piano player, etc. so, at least in my circle of friends, no synth players Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: