Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No XLR phantom powered mic input on Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sois unos craks los dos. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slovenec wrote:
Yep point taken.... however, Roland was able to include this on their Fantom G series for example and they aren't an Oasys priced instrument.

Except the Fantom G does not have an Intel processor and a Solid State Drive. These two items are relatively expensive (for a keyboard workstation).
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slovenec wrote:

Yep point taken.... however, Roland was able to include this on their Fantom G series for example and they aren't an Oasys priced instrument.

At least 1 phantom powered mic pre should have been included in a product marketing itself as a music workstation with a 16 track audio recorder.

If I was in the market for a Kronos, it honestly wouldn't be a deal breaker and no doubt I'd prefer to use my Focusrite Twin Q preamp via SPDIF into the Kronos. However, for someone wanting just one bit of gear to take away and use for demos when they're on holiday whilst they leave the big studio at home, then it could be a deal breaker at the price.

I don't see any good reason for that.
When I bought my Fantom G, I thought: "Hey, great, even mic input with phantom power on board". But:

After three years of playing a Fantom G I must say that I only used the mic input once or twice. Like you said: you normally prefer using your own preamp, at home anyway, and many preamps are small enough to carry around, even for the few demoing musicians who certainly don't stand for the majority of the buyers.

So I can only say: I'm glad they did it as they did, and I don't have to pay additional money for something I (and I guess most others) never or nearly never use.

Last edited by jimknopf on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slovenec

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Bro, if you're serious do yourself a favor and get a real mic preamp. A good Mic preamp starts at about half the price of Kronos.

The preamp that korg would include is probably no better than what you would find on a mackie or even behringer mixer! Taking a direct out from a mixer to the keyboard is a trivial affair. If you don't at least have one of these, then I don't know what to say.

Well bro, if I was that rich, perhaps I'd invest in a mic preamp costing at least half the cost of the Kronos! But then, I'd also make sure that my room acoustics were pristine, not to mention obtaining a mic like a U47/U87/C12 etc, which again costs a fortune. Smile

My Joe Meek (that costs much less than half of what the Kronos will cost), does me very well, and like I said, it wouldn't be e deal breaker to me and I would use that going into the Kronos via SPDIF.

I've also heard that the Oasys pres are very decent for what they are. Anyway each to their own! I was just expressing an opinion which I'm entitled to do on this forum (I hope LOL!).

Now if only the Kronos came with at least 8 Avalon 737 quality mic pres and that the price was kept below $4000!!!! Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: