Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Father and son

View previous topic :: View next topic  
afr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Father and son Reply with quote

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6143/korgm1kronos.jpg

it's really interesting to see how from the point of view of style
they wanted to make a strong appeal to the first Korg workstation Smile
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and son Reply with quote

Maybe I'm kind of an old school guy, but i like this a lot. Very Happy
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the differences are more interesting.

There are a HUGE number of controllers on the K vs. M.

M had 1 data slider and a master volume slider. K, even without considering the touch screen, has more hands-on tweakability than M-users could hope for.

I've said (elsewhere on this forum) that being able to have USB-based controller input (like an unweighted keyboard or drum triggers) would be a good thing. But looking at the two, I see room to spare on the M for a drum machineright on the deck, but I see now that there's virtually NO space left on the K's topside for any more controllers.

Might rather have had a row of pads where the sliders are... applying the same logic Korg used to choose a master volume knob they SHOULD have put knobs there, but I suppose they make more sense fro Karma and as Drawbar controllers (tho' to me the touch screen would be a better place for VIRTUAL drawbars).

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Korg have looked at the winning formula for a 200,000 unit + selling workstation (the M1) and realized that 'looks' which appeal to the masses are an important aspect.

The M3 is quirky in appearance - original but quirky (I love it though!)

Last edited by iixorbiusii on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm blown away at the number of units sold. I read different posts about only 3000 Oasys' sold, etc... I would have thought 1,000,000s of M1s would have been sold... And M3s.

Also, I'm sooooo glad that the Kronos is solid and dark, instead of light colored like the M3s. I deeply dislike the flimsyness of my M3 chassis. Everytime someone helps me put it into the case they tend to pop the alluminum cover off the end. The clips that hold them are really getting messed up.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
ravenmek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
I think the differences are more interesting.

There are a HUGE number of controllers on the K vs. M.

M had 1 data slider and a master volume slider. K, even without considering the touch screen, has more hands-on tweakability than M-users could hope for.

I've said (elsewhere on this forum) that being able to have USB-based controller input (like an unweighted keyboard or drum triggers) would be a good thing. But looking at the two, I see room to spare on the M for a drum machineright on the deck, but I see now that there's virtually NO space left on the K's topside for any more controllers.

Might rather have had a row of pads where the sliders are... applying the same logic Korg used to choose a master volume knob they SHOULD have put knobs there, but I suppose they make more sense fro Karma and as Drawbar controllers (tho' to me the touch screen would be a better place for VIRTUAL drawbars).

BB

Virtual drawbars in the screen would mean we couldn't move more than one drawbar at the same time.
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
I'm blown away at the number of units sold. I read different posts about only 3000 Oasys' sold, etc... I would have thought 1,000,000s of M1s would have been sold... And M3s...

Nope, that's about it Very Happy

As far as I know, the DX7 had the record for the most amount of synths sold @ 160,000 units. The M1 topped that with around 200k and this record remains unbeaten.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iixorbiusii wrote:
As far as I know, the DX7 had the record for the most amount of synths sold @ 160,000 units. The M1 topped that with around 200k and this record remains unbeaten.

I feel a bit sentimental about about the thought that there are such a limited number of units manufactured. I never want to let my M3 / MS2000 go. Wish I still had my M1 and Karma.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iixorbiusii wrote:

This is correct. In today's times, however, the number of 200000 units sold seems like a far away dream. It's a big deal if a vendor sells 20000 or 50000!
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: one drawbar at a time -

My kid, Braxton, can slice 5 oranges at once on "fruit ninja" - i know the triton is single point touch screen, but there's no need to limit it to that. Korg needs to team with Apple to get an I-pad doc or at least the screen for next gen.

[I know... dream on]

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: