Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too Much Whining Here

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SV1200

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Too Much Whining Here Reply with quote

So check it, I understand your guys frustration with the Microsampler, but honestly you have to look at what it is supposed to serve as. Its not a 2010/11 ASR 10. Its a fun Phrase/Keyboard sampler, along the same lines as Rolands SP series in keyboard form w/ more features. If you guys dont like it, Im not sure why you bought it.

Never buy gear without reading its limitations, or expecting firmware updates. I still use a MPC60, and thats by choice. Having limitations in gear evokes creativity. And at the prices Ive seen these go for used $300 verse a Yamaha VSS-30 used $200. How can anyone complain?

Thank You
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always good to have different viewpoints.

If you have something positive to contribute then bring it on my friend.

To post your personal experience & appreciation of the esteemed MicroSammmppplleeerr would be a fine start.
Wink
orchards

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have very positive feelings about the microSampler. it's not the ultimate looper (which has yet to be produced by ANY company), but it's excellent at what it CAN do and lots of hands on fun.

i'm also of the opinion that part of the challenge of making music is bending the instrument to your will, pressing it's limitations and finding ways to make it do what it was never intended to. in a very real sense limitations can be an artist's most valuable inspirations / resources, insofar as they force one to approach problems freshly and creatively reconsider the desired result, very likely discovering new things along the way.

perhaps those experiencing excessive discontent are rigidly attached to very particular workflows developed on other devices and not willing to experiment and adapt to this one? for myself, if i can't do a certain thing a certain way on a certain device i either change the thing, the way, or the device. it seems to me the microSampler is flexible and full featured enough to accommodate pretty much anything i might care to attempt, as long as i'm willing to adapt my methods to it's particular capabilities.

as a standalone HARDWARE sketchpad / experimentation tool i consider the MS unparalleled. imperfect compared to the ideal in my mind, yes, but compared to other options available on the market now, absolutely not.

using it as a live performance tool will require me to rethink and find ways to do my stuff a little differently, but i consider that process FUN and INSPIRATIONAL, not something to complain about.

microSampler is AWESOME!
please keep developing this one korg, it's a winner and a potential new genre-spinner.

my 2c.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable critisim is valid & useful. Bashing for the sake of it - yeah stupid. The OP doesn't differentiate.

I've had fun & enjoyed the MS - I tend to post about the problems rather than the joys - as I'm largely making music the rest of the time. I would suspect a lot of people are the same which is why the negative slant has developed over time.

Many of us were hoping KORG would digest our largely constructive feedback & grant us a software update. It was not to be. It does make fairly irritating reading I'm sure out of context.

I partly agree with you on workflow ....user ingenuity is healthy!
Like I say I've had fun with the MS & done some useful things by going with its flow. My preference is for lots of knobs rather than a few overloaded ones though. Playing should be intuitive, without unnecessary fumbling around.

I would have been liked an MS Pro that was more tightly focussed on the job of sampling & sequencing & wasn't trying to be a Swiss army knife. Hopefully KORG are hearing what we have been saying & there is something better in the pipeline.

Despite being one of the *whining* critics. I have largely enjoyed the MicroSampler experience so maybe I'll trade up. Rather than being an early adopter this time - I'll be checking out what other people think of it first.

Much smarter idea than bashing them for lobbying KORG to improve the product on my behalf..

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: