Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequencing max Poly and audio recording?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinnx wrote:
I seen something referring to a 80 minute max mono audio recording..
is this per track or total for the whole project?

It's per audio event, per track.

Quinnx wrote:
Also if recording audio what are the routing option with FXs
will all audio always be recorded with all FXs or is there an option to record what is being played without the FX

Either one, as you like.

Quinnx wrote:
also since all tracks are mono is there an option to set any or all midi parts to mono out put while monitoring ot playing?

Yes, routing can be set to mono if you like - but note that audio tracks can be set up as stereo pairs.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Quinnx since FantomX times.

He has been one of the best FantomX bug hunters in the first place (so beware calling the Kronos bugfree before Qinnx has checked!), and then developed into a wild determined "work arounder" on the Fantom G.

I really see his jaw dropping right in front of my inner eyes
a) for getting direct, concise, competent information directly from company staff in no time
b) for noticing step by step what a powerful workstation the Kronos seems to be.

Quinnx, I see your FG workaround plans changing by the minute! Got ya!
But one of the first European Kronos 73 is already reserved by me and you should not get in the way! Laughing
If I said anything wrong, correct me Wink
Quinnx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that Dan

Midi channels there are 16..
how many tracks are there available for data sequences
are there only the standard 16 tracks one for each channel or more.

What about controlling external devices if they use the same midi channels
are they exclusive to give a total of 32 devices/channels or do we have to share the same 16 channels with the internal and external or have to choose if one channel is external or internal

one more question regarding Sequencer and audio recording..
when one records an audio track, is this track then held in ram or has it been recorded directly to the storage device
again the same question for midi...

i suppose what would sum it up would be
when one decided to start creating a new song/project are you requested to name your new/song project before you begin and as such then is evey change edit captured by the project as it is created in real time or do you have to SAVE/SAVE AS at any stage of the process.

I suppose most of this could be answered with a Manual but i believe they have not been written yet Smile

@Jimkmopf
Shhh Wink
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinnx, I think I see what you are trying to do here.Your terminology is based on Fantom sequencing and I assume you may be looking to transfer to a Kronos,am I wrong?

Korg sequencers work very differently to Roland.

Let's use Fantom G as an example ok.

Quinnx wrote:

Midi channels there are 16..
how many tracks are there available for data sequences
are there only the standard 16 tracks one for each channel or more.

What about controlling external devices if they use the same midi channels
are they exclusive to give a total of 32 devices/channels or do we have to share the same 16 channels with the internal and external or have to choose if one channel is external or internal

KRONOS

16 midi channels/tracks for internal and external sources. You have an option like on Roland keyboards to check the channel to output to either INT,EXT, BOTH and EXT2.Compared to a Fantom G its quite restrictive.On the G you have 128 tracks for midi and these can be assigned to 16 INT and 16 EXT or both so in this regard the Kronos sequencer is no where near as flexible.The Fantom is a true 16 channel external controlling device as well as controlling its internal sound source plus its ARX options separately.

Quinnx wrote:

one more question regarding Sequencer and audio recording..
when one records an audio track, is this track then held in ram or has it been recorded directly to the storage device
again the same question for midi...

i suppose what would sum it up would be
when one decided to start creating a new song/project are you requested to name your new/song project before you begin and as such then is evey change edit captured by the project as it is created in real time or do you have to SAVE/SAVE AS at any stage of the process.

I suppose most of this could be answered with a Manual but i believe they have not been written yet Smile

Ok midi data is recorded to RAM,Audio events(regions) are recorded to RAM.The WAVE file data is recorded directly to Disk.When the audio event data is stored it creates a region and it's this region that contains the information telling the sequencer how and when to play back the data from the drive. In this regard the Kronos works with audio very well in the way it stores its data in that the audio is on the drive but you must remember to save your SNGS as you go to retain the events info.The drawback is that its only 16 mono tracks or 8 Stereo.

It is different than the G.The G uses it's RAM and its audio is dictated by the amount of RAM.I always think of the Fantom as a big sample storage device.The beauty of the G though is that you have 24 audio/sample tracks that automatically store in stereo but if you power down without saving that data its lost because you have not stored it to your project,either internally or on a thumb drive.

As for storage the best way to describe how its file structure works is like so:

Kronos SNG.file will contain songs 1-199 depending on how many songs you wish to make and all their relevant track data and pattern data for midi plus all audio event regions tagged to the relevant audio data on the drive will be saved.I suppose its the equivalent of a Project on the Fantom G except that the audio data is stored directly to the drive. This audio wont be removed from the drive if you delete the regions but the Kronos should tell you when you switch power off and power back up when working on a song that previous files exist and if you wish to still use them or not and delete as appropriate.
You are not usually asked to name a SNG file until you come to save it, or you could start as you do with the Fantom and name it first,save it ,then start.

I hope this helps a little.

Cake Muncher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Quinnx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the audio tracks record and playback..

are audio tracks played direct from storage or are they loaded into RAM?
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinnx wrote:
Regarding the audio tracks record and playback..

are audio tracks played direct from storage or are they loaded into RAM?

Audio tracks are HDR, as with the OASYS.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Quinnx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the 16 midi tracks..

is each track locked its representative midi channel
examples midi ch1 track1 midi ch2 track2

or can you record multiple midi channels events on any single track
example..
track 1 to playback a single midi track of midi channels 1-8
track 2 to playback channels 9-10
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinnx wrote:
Regarding the 16 midi tracks..

is each track locked its representative midi channel
examples midi ch1 track1 midi ch2 track2

or can you record multiple midi channels events on any single track
example..
track 1 to playback a single midi track of midi channels 1-8
track 2 to playback channels 9-10

Each track can target only a single channel - but multiple tracks can target the same channel. For instance:

track 1: channel 1
track 2: channel 1
track 3: channel 1
track 4: channel 2

Etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: