Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vocoders: Kronos vs. R3 vs. M3 vs. MicroKorg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK-Jake wrote:
I have a VERY weak gag reflex and I've been told that you've got to shove the tube pretty far back in your mouth to pick up a signal. I doubt cover-band crowds at super-hopping clubs--regardless of how drunk they may be--would get off on watching me hurl on stage. Nome sayin?Eddie Van Halen is the same way. I read an interview of his where he was going to use a Talk Box back in the late-80s, early-90s and couldn't do it...he kept gagging on the tube. So I'm not alone. Smile Unless the Banshee 2 just has to be in the very edge of your mouth?

EEECH! Mad TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Remember me NOT to lend you my breath controller...

SpIdErWeB wrote:
a colonoscopy by the mouth...

ok, I give up...
AK-Jake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
AK-Jake wrote:
I have a VERY weak gag reflex and I've been told that you've got to shove the tube pretty far back in your mouth to pick up a signal. I doubt cover-band crowds at super-hopping clubs--regardless of how drunk they may be--would get off on watching me hurl on stage. Nome sayin?Eddie Van Halen is the same way. I read an interview of his where he was going to use a Talk Box back in the late-80s, early-90s and couldn't do it...he kept gagging on the tube. So I'm not alone. Smile Unless the Banshee 2 just has to be in the very edge of your mouth?

EEECH! Mad TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Remember me NOT to lend you my breath controller...

SpIdErWeB wrote:
a colonoscopy by the mouth...

ok, I give up...

LMAO!!! I figured I'd get a rise out of you by saying that, Ozy. Glad you enjoyed it. Very Happy
nowtime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
axxim wrote:
I think you will have to wait until the Kronos is available and someone makes a report on it or someone from KORG explains how it is. I still think it will be similar to the R3dias.

nope. It'll be the same as the M3 Vocoder effect. This has been answered already. I'm kinda bummed though I really don't use it a whole lot.

OK, then I revise my question:

How does the M3 vocoder (evil thing that it is) compare to the R3? Completely different animal? A lesser beast?

I do suppose we will have to wait and see.

And who said that there is difference between a vocoder and a vocoder effect? What does that mean?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
OK, then I revise my question:

How does the M3 vocoder (evil thing that it is) compare to the R3? Completely different animal? A lesser beast?

I do suppose we will have to wait and see.

And who said that there is difference between a vocoder and a vocoder effect? What does that mean?

Dan at Korg confirmed it was merely an insert effect (just like the OASYS and M3) in a different thread about the Kronos.

Here's a point to ponder: The M3 can vocode out of the box, correct? So why does the EXB-RADIAS offer (and make it a point to advertise) a 16 band vocoder as a feature it adds to the M3?

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=550

Quote:
The EXB-RADIAS offers the same vocoder as the RADIAS, offering 16 bands with individual control over level and panning.

Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
nowtime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Dan or anyone else comment on the difference between a true vocoder and one that is "merely an insert effect?" I could always run my R3 via the Kronos, but it would sure be nice to have that same funtionality contained within.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technical idea is the same, but the thing between an effect implementation and a dedicated system is that the dedicated system is more flexible and will offer more parameters, probably more bands, etc.

For example the Radias/R3/MS2000 offer a 16-band vocoder with level and pan for each band, as well as things like formant shift, band resonance, response controls, etc. You'll never find that in an effect implementation on a workstation because 1. it wouldn't fit on the screen, and 2. most people want to drop a vocoder in and not have a million more parameters to program. A workstation afterall is aimed more at the 'I just want to drop something in' market than the 'I want to program all my sounds from scratch' market. Obviously the KRONOS falls nicely in the middle somewhere.

If you just use the dedicated vocoder with all bands panned centre and full level, then most likely the effect will be just as good. In fact it is quite possible that because there are less parameters displayed, there are more bands.

But anyway, strictly speaking there is no technical difference between 'A dedicated vocoder' and 'a vocoder as an effect'. They both have a number of bands and a carrier and modulator. The difference is mainly down to the way they are programmed and used. And the different ways the manufacturer may approach the implementation of them.
Quite simply, a vocoder effect is more often than not, an afterthought. If you're lucky they put a bit more effort into it than others might. Whereas a dedicated vocoder on the other hand is a major selling feature so they're going to put more into it.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed.

The thing I keep my Korg DVP-1 around for (other than the awesome vintage sound it has) is the pitch shift. I don't believe anything since the DVP-1 can do it.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
agreed.

The thing I keep my Korg DVP-1 around for (other than the awesome vintage sound it has) is the pitch shift. I don't believe anything since the DVP-1 can do it.

Do you mean formant shift or the real pitch shift like the mickey mouse or helium addict effect without shorting the time?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real pitch shift. Smack a couple notes on the bass end and talk like Satan. Not used often but it is fun to use when telemarketers call. When I first got it, I had a blast doing that...
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxim wrote:
or the real pitch shift like the mickey mouse or helium addict effect

McHale wrote:
Smack a couple notes on the bass end and talk like Satan.

GHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Satan, Donald Duck, the Munchkins, the Robot, HAL9000 and the Devil (or The Monster).

You missed only the "Synthesizer Patel" impression and the "Drunken DJ believing he's funny" gimmick.

had you mentioned that, the Vocoder Kitsch Gallery would have been complete.

This is why there should be a LAW against vocoders!

Wacky
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
..... Satan, Donald Duck, the Munchkins, the Robot, HAL9000 and the Devil (or The Monster).

You missed only the "Synthesizer Patel" impression and the "Drunken DJ believing he's funny" gimmick.

had you mentioned that, the Vocoder Kitsch Gallery would have been complete.

This is why there should be a LAW against vocoders!

Sorry your eminenence, but I have to correct you about HAL9000: This was a so sophisticated computer/vocoder that sounded like a real human voice. It's only defect was that it had a very low dynamic range in the intonator module (maybe the envelope circuitry had a burned quinsistor)

By the other side, HAL would have done millions of $ if it had sold relaxation or "stories for insomniacs" records or cassette tapes.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
Hal2001

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has anyone found out any more information about whether the Kronos can do voice processing anywhere similar to the new Korg Pa3xPro which has built in TC Helicon? I know the Pa3x can do harmonizing. I would have thought the Kronos could do at least as good/OK a job on the human voice as the Motif XF (which is demo'd in videos with the voice) but haven't heard anything about the Kronos and voice. So if anyone has found out anything new since the last post here, kindly update. Thanks.
ozy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal2001 wrote:
So, has anyone found out any more information about whether the Kronos can do voice processing anywhere similar to the new Korg Pa3xPro which has built in TC Helicon?

I checked the reference guide.

No way.

Reading the reference guide, the paramenters of the kronos vovoder are identical to the m3-radias. Pitched elements of the voice (vocals) won't be separately managed.

Albeit I'd say that the radias vocoder already did a pretty impressive "clean" vocoder: all consonants, ess, eff, ch, were intelligible, you could ALMOST made the carrier "disappear" and have your vocal timbre dominate the sound (using choir samples instead of the usual saw, eg).

No way an harmonization, though. Definitely recognizable as a synthesized voice, especially if you go more than 12 semitones above or below.

It's just that unpitched elements go through very clean. That helps fooling the ear into believing the voice is harmonized.

In other words: if you can't sing, forget to pitch-correct your voice with the kronos vocoder.
Hal2001

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Hal2001 wrote:
So, has anyone found out any more information about whether the Kronos can do voice processing anywhere similar to the new Korg Pa3xPro which has built in TC Helicon?

I checked the reference guide. No way. In other words: if you can't sing, forget to pitch-correct your voice with the kronos vocoder.

Thanks much, that's what it seemed like otherwise they would have promoted it. So now I'm trying to decide between a Roland VP-7 (new) or a TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 (used) at the same price. The TC has way more effects and controls, but it's probably overkill for me and I expect the Roland would be much more user friendly because of its simplicity. Both sound real good on the harmonies IMO. I'll be linking it to my new Kronos when it arrives, hopefully by 1st week of July.
Hal
ozy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tc helicon voicelive 2 is very good.

I used it for a month or so, and it's very good.

If you are a solo singer, go for it.

For me it's overkill though: for choir effects, and for layering to a vocoder when I need quasi-choir effects, I just use a cheap digitech midi vocalist: for 100 bucks it will take you very, very far.

Of course if you need effects, eq, compressor, etc in a box, the live2 is definitely better (at 6 times the price Shocked ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: