Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some basic questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruigrguerreiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Some basic questions Reply with quote

Hi there,
My son has been taking piano classes for some time now, and I would like to buy him a nice keyboard. I'm not that tech savvy, but I understand the basics of it, so I'll try to use the proper language to ask for your help here.
He's got a small MIDI keyboard that he uses with the computer to produce his tracks (if I'm not wrong the program he uses is Logic), so the new keyboard should have MIDI. But it would be great to be able to play it without it being attached to the computer all the time, and after I looked around, for what I understand, the SV-1 does both, right?
I see the SV-1 has MIDI ports and USB, which I suppose do the same job, correct? So he can use the SV-1 as a standard MIDI keyboard to play the instruments of Logic?
And if he wants he can record the output of the SV-1 itself just by routing the analog outputs to the inputs of his interface? Is that it?
Please do let me know about anything else I should consider before buying the SV-1, and I'm sorry if I didn't use the proper terms above, so I hope you understand my questions. I would ask the kid all this, but that would ruin the surprise!

Thank you so much for your time.

Best regards,
Rui Guerreiro
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rui,

The short answer to all your questions is: Yes!

jg::
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should keep in mind that the SV-1 is aimed specifically at doing 'Stage Vintage' sounds - vintage pianos, organs, clavs, real piano sounds, etc. It does a few other sounds but its just a little 'extra' really. Not its 'forte'.

If you want a keyboard which does all kinds of sounds fairly well, you want to look at 'workstation' keyboards and their kind. Workstations were originally designed to do everything you do on a computer now - create entire tracks from scratch if you want - but most people use them just as sound sources like you might with the SV1.
A good one for you to look at would be the M50. There is also the M3 (its bigger brother), the new KRONOS, and older models such as the X50, Triton (several varieties), etc.

Also, most keyboards have MIDI, unless they're really old. Whether they have USB-MIDI or not is a different question, but still about 80% or more of all keyboards in production now will have USB MIDI.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ruigrguerreiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Well, thank you for the replies. I have the info I needed, and I still have a couple weeks to figure out wether the SV-1 is the best option or not. I sort of slipped it out to my son the other night to get a feel of what he thought about the SV-1, and he was quite impressed with it, so I might go for it...

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: