Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlrshort

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Amps Reply with quote

Hi could any of you recommend a very good amp for th Sv1 especially for medium venues? is stereo an important feature? Thanks.
dlrshort

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has any ideas?
craigalan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha stagepas 500. Great bass, compact, powerful, and very clear tone. Love it with my sv1. I tried all the keys amps. This rig kills them all for bang/buck.
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stereo is more for recording. They only people who will appreciate a stereo setup live are people sitting directly in the center of your speakers.
agerhbour

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the motion sound kp-200.

it is amazing.
Taragalinas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be better to go straight into the mixer and out through the main speakers? Why use an amp?
The Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaunKorg wrote:
Stereo is more for recording. They only people who will appreciate a stereo setup live are people sitting directly in the center of your speakers.

The person sitting in the center of your speakers is often YOU. So yes, stereo makes a difference. I use the Motion Sound KP-500sn stereo amp and it sounds great.
dlrshort

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if the grand piano voice is the hardest sound to get right. Will a stage pas or an amp be better for true piano sounds?
craigalan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend trying both, but IMO, the stagepas was better overall for me. Its a great sounding "amp" but also can be used for many other applications. The sv acoustic piano is crystal clear through it. Amps have always had troubles getting a good bass response for elec pianos, and many weigh a ton. Just one mans opinion, but I would not overlook the stagepas 500.
agerhbour

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlrshort wrote:
I was wondering if the grand piano voice is the hardest sound to get right. Will a stage pas or an amp be better for true piano sounds?

yes, the pianos are the hardest sounds to get right.
Just because you want that rich bass with the nice treble without it sounding corny or piercing.

But, I think I've nearly got it with my motionsound.
it really is a great amp.
velour100

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use an amp.. Why not us IEM in stead. I think it sounds much greater, and its better for you're hearing, because you can make you're owne mix and you can make everything sound much softer..
The Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

After many trials of different amplification options my choice was the Motion Sound KP-500sn... here's why:

*Motion Sound amps use Eminence speakers - a great brand. In particular, the KP-500 uses neodymium woofers which are lightweight and they have a flatter frequency response in the lower midrange than most woofers. That reduces the "muddiness" and amplifies the sound more evenly, which is especially important with both acoustic and electric piano sounds. One caveat: I also own the KP-100 amp and it came with Eminence Alpha 8" woofers which are not a good match with the amp... I got much better performance by upgrading the KP-100 speakers to Eminence Beta's.

* Motion Sound amps have a stereo enhancer, which is in fact a stereo phase inverter. It produces a psychoacoustic effect that makes the sound seem to be coming from midair rather than from the amp and it's very effective if used in moderation. It even carries over to the PA if you use the MS amp as stage monitor. It's something not found in any other keyboard amp or PA system and it's the reason the Motion Sound amps have the reputation they do. You have to try it to get it.

* A keyboard amp is much easier to setup than a PA... less cords, less stands, less cartage, less hassle. IED's are great if you trust your sound man to get your sound and mix right but if you have to hold your own on stage with guitar players then a keyboard amp makes life easier.
blueoakland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: yamaha msr250 Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a pair of the Yamaha MSR250 10" powered speakers ? I'm looking for something that has reasonable power (and price), but it is not too large since I use them in my living room but also plan to possibly gig with them ? I currently have only a pair of Roland CM-30s, which sound fine on the acoustic pianos but with the EPs, if you turn them up past midway, the bass speakers distort a lot, especially when playing chords.

Here is a link : http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MSR250-Active-Powered-Speaker?sku=600809
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10" is kind of small for keyboards. If you really want nice sound without distortion on the bass end you should look at 15" or at least 12".

I know that make portability harder, but that's the trade off.

Also, you might look into bass amps. Bass amps and keyboard amps are very similar, but bass amps are cheaper.
blueoakland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that 12 or 15 inch is generally better but the specs for the MSR250 actually show better low end response than many 12" units: "...smooth, uncolored response from 55Hz to 20kHz. The woofer has an oversized 2.5" aluminum voice coil—a size you'd normally see on a 15" woofer—that contributes to outstanding sound and durability. " However, I have not yet heard one in person.

Mackie has a new 12' version of their low-end Thump series, the TH-12a. Any thoughts on those for keyboard ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: