Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW seq
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reggmail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW seq Reply with quote

Jon Lord, and jimknopf are correct.
They both answered your question, Yes you can import and edit your samples into a PC-DAW of your choice.
Most DAW's will allow you to edit wavw files.

In my opinion, I use Sonar X1 Producers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNIsTfkli5w&feature=related ( or any pro DAW) and go straight into it with lead and background vocals with all kinds of plugs and editing capabilities that surpass any keyboard Workstation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kssws0F1f9g&feature=related

If I was going to buy a workstation type of setup, it would be this over the Kronos iKeyDock for Mac Mini, PowerMac and PCs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaeBj7lcyfQ
StudioBLADE 88 - Simply the Best Keyboard Production Station http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnbmihJ0xr0&feature=related

Flash & The Pan
I agree, the smoke and the awe is starting to clear with the Kronos, at $3000 it will be obsolete when it's release in comparison to what you could buy with a computer and software + controller.

Korg is playing by their old tricks and rules avoiding many questions and lots of concerns that people have about Kronos. ( The fad will turn into frustration very fast after purchase of the Kronos)
(Kronos will do what Korg say it will do right now with no third party expandability and no posable long term support ) ''What you see is all your going to get'' but a computer with controllers and software will be cheaper, better sounding, upgradable, more versatility and less money. Like on SAW, the choice is yours...Lol.
For me, It's a rap.
Peace & blessings.
kday

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just expect the Kronos to be a synthesizer and nothing else.

The Kronos and all the rest of these synthesizers are just that, a synthesizer. I know a lot of people often compare to a computer DAW set up, but that's not really a comparison. If you want a higher sound quality or even a computer setup then I think it would more wiser to invest in that if sound and flexibility are your main concerns. But relying on a synthesizer to be your primary recording medium other than a scratch pad idea maker, will allow you to end up with less than stellar quality in comparison to a real studio or even a computer setup. All the songs I ever heard people make themselves coming exclusively from a keyboard or synthesizer as a finished product, most all the time sounded unprofessional in quality and many downright shitty. I expect the Kronos to be no better, than Joe Blow's synth mix on a Yamaha or Roland or John Doe's synthesizer. But I do expect the Kronos to be capable of producing brilliant synth sounds. The only good complete and mastered mixes I ever heard that sounded OK are the song demos and mixes that come with the keyboard, but most of those still sound synthy keyboardish, like a 2-track stereo mix. Well it is.

A synth is always a synth.

A Recording studio is always a recording studio.

A computer DAW is always a computer DAW, but, in sound quality, sometimes, can be not always.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW Reply with quote

"Better sounding" than what? Oh, right, the Kronos you made a direct A/B comparison too. And... when was that exactly?

But, OK, let's talk about the price tag. (BTW, I noticed that you said in the same sentence that your dream system would be both cheaper and less money. One day maybe you'll care to explain the difference). But OK, let's start to price out a system of a decent 61 note controller, a computer with a decent monitor and a fair amount of RAM, DAW software, an audio interface, and a bunch of plugs that start to approximate the capabilities of the Kronos, and... well, the price starts to climb right up there, doesn't it?

"Next!"
Boynton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a live player I disagree. Having it all in a relatively bulletproof dedicated box with tons of live performance helps makes sense to me. It's in no way meant to compete against a studio computer-based DAW system. That's not the point. But apples to apples (Motif XF, Roland Fantom-G [still?], Kurzweil PC series, etc.) it goes way beyond. I like how they started at the beginning - grand piano sounds to compete w/ Ivory, etc. Then Rhodes, then FM, then all manner of VA, then sampling. The sequencing and audio recording are to me just gravy. It's for players not engineers.
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:
your dream system would be both cheaper and less money

that's my ideal as well Rolling Eyes
master logic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:
a bunch of plugs that start to approximate the capabilities of the Kronos

& for me this is what it ALL comes down to. I used to own an Oasys until i went bankrupt & since that time, almost 3 years now, i've not found 1 plug in, including Omnisphere, Komplete etc that i prefer to the sound of the Oasys/Kronos. Of course it's a personal choice but my money will definitely be spent on the Kronos.

Just so you know, the music i make is Detroit / Deep Techno & House, Ambient & Soundscapes & the Oasys was incredible for this kind of music. Don't be fooled into thinking the Oasys/Kronos is just for other types of music.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KRONOS is nothing other than KORG's proprietary workstation platform making smart use of Linux and widely available standard computer components.
IMO that's a smart move of KORG.

The KRONOS cannot compete with a full blown DAW where thousands of different people are working for a large variety of companies dedicated to contributing to that software platform, nor is the KRONOS intended to compete with such a platform.

Yes, you can get VA's, streamed pianos etc on a DAW, but you cannot get KORG's engines on such a DAW.

Additionally, the KRONOS is finetuned and programmed to perform the function of a musical instrument offering a fast and intuitive interaction between the musician and the instrument.
Fast and intuitive are not always words that I associate automatically with a DAW.
If I had made a list of all the hours in the past year that I have spent updating and resolving issues on my DAW the total sum of hours would be shocking!
So, it's not all wonder-wonderland with a DAW.

For me BOTH DAW and a hardware workstation have their own place and function, and I'm glad that there still are hardware workstations available just as I am glad that there is a computer platform open for third party developers.

Keyword here is not competition, one vs. the other, but symbiosis.
master logic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Wink
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already had this discussion... There's no comparision between the Kronos and DAW+Controller! From workflow, ergonomics, reliability, all-in-one setup, integration to sound, Karma, etc...

Kronos can instant play over 11Gb of sounds with access to 1500+ high end pristine quality presets without loading time... There's no equivalent software on computer that can do that today. I you do add the SSD to your Macmini you will double up the price. GUI interface on any computer aren't made for Touchscreen use. The quality of dome free VST is far from the quality of the high-end sound engine such the AL-1 or HD-1 to only mention Sample Playback and VA.

Also, the Music Computing stuff such the StudioBlade and so on are just a bad copy of the OpenLabs neKo... You want turn up or down the headphone or volume you need to turn the knob in the back of the keyboard... wow, what a design failure! They tried to include more pads, believing than more is better, but they haven't understand people want 4 x 4 MPC style pads with banks! And who would like to play with the screen on the side and nit in the center of the keyboard, the neck will be painful after the gig... Seriously, there are lots of design issues and I even don't mention the look and poor quality assembling to compare to Korg.

Bottom line, if you really want/need to use a DAW, just get an iMac, MacMini or any other solutions of your choice and plug the Kronos to it, you'll get a better and more complete system. But this StudioBlade thing is just a joke and definitely not something I'll put my money in... Actually even if I would get it for free I wouldn't use it... Some keyboard controller such Novation or even my Kontrol49 are way better... At least I do have LCD display to get values feedback...

Phil
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW Reply with quote

master logic wrote:
peter_schwartz wrote:
a bunch of plugs that start to approximate the capabilities of the Kronos

& for me this is what it ALL comes down to. I used to own an Oasys until i went bankrupt & since that time, almost 3 years now, i've not found 1 plug in, including Omnisphere, Komplete etc that i prefer to the sound of the Oasys/Kronos. Of course it's a personal choice but my money will definitely be spent on the Kronos.

Just so you know, the music i make is Detroit / Deep Techno & House, Ambient & Soundscapes & the Oasys was incredible for this kind of music. Don't be fooled into thinking the Oasys/Kronos is just for other types of music.

Music to my ears!
kday

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound quality coming out of the Kronos is like toy in comparison to the quality that any computer DAW has the potential to make. At least that I heard from both.

If you have to mix everything inside the Kronos then it's already no comparison, because of the fact that it's only a 2-Track contained stereo mix. Compared to 64 tracks or more stretched and processed separately across the board.

People who think they can create professional studio equivalent radio ready mixes like you can in a real studio or even with a DAW, all on a synthesizer are only fooling themselves of course. That idea is equivalent to looking at a mirage as you look at the synthesizer. The synth mix can be good but still a lot lacking regardless.
djtomy.d1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Motif owner and also Motifator user I can tell you that kday is moron without any even basic knowledge, he is just bullshitting, mostly about Kronos.

I really do not understand what are you doing here!
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike other hardware products, the OASYS/Kronos is in fact a computer processing and mixing at 32-bits. I do think this makes a difference in the ability of the product to produce the highest quality sound, especially as the mixes get more complex.

I agree that many/most workstation demos leave me underwhelmed but I think that has as much to do the use of mediocre internal samples along with a limited number of articulations. Also, to my ear, most hardware synths/workstations start sounding more harsh as the mixes get complex. I do think the Kronos is a sizable advance in both these areas.

Computer-based DAWs do differ in their ability to process and mix audio properly. Below is a link to comparisons of sample rate conversions and you'll find huge differences among the various products (some very expensive products do quite poorly). SRC is one example of the many processes (mixing, eq, panning, compression, etc.) that your audio can go through before the final mixdown. Note, Korg's AudioGate product does very well. Use the Izotope charts as the comparative benchmark.

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

For me, Kronos will be part, not all, of my equation. I have tons of soft synths and a Protools TDM system, but am very much looking forward to using Kronos as an equal partner in all this.

Busch.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Busch,

and you forgot to mention the AD/DA convertors quality... Using a good DAW application is one thing, but having good convertors is another one... don't even think you can get pristine sound with 200 bucks audio interface, regardless your DAW choice.

In my setup, Kronos will just be one more keyboard I'll use as master keyboard, sounds source and creation tools... on top of my 8 core Mac Pro and PT9 Rig with Lynx Aurora, Big Ben, etc... and current hardware and software products.

But if I would have to choose only one keyboard, it will surely be the Kronos Smile

Phil
T7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kday wrote:
I would just expect the Kronos to be a synthesizer and nothing else.

+1.

If I need hardware sample mangling(and sequencing), I turn to my E-MU E4 Ultra and Akai MPC4000. Neither of which can offer unlooped 4gb, 8 layer pianos, EP modelling, wavesequencing, vector synthesis, modular-algorithm FM synthesis, physical modelling, ultra low aliasing digital subtractive and a great touchscreen UI coupled with knobs and sliders.

Sure there are VI alternatives but I don't touch the stuff.

My only gripe is that I'm not doing sound design on a Kronos right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: