Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOOPER / AUTO-LOOP tips + tricks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orchards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: LOOPER / AUTO-LOOP tips + tricks Reply with quote

hello all, i've come across mini-discussions regarding MS looper functionality workarounds in other threads, but since there's no thread specifically dedicated to such methods thought it might be useful to share tips and inform anyone yet to realize these hidden potentials.

several of you have briefly described this technique :

- set up a pattern sequence at a certain length
- record notes into the sequence at the downbeat of the 1st bar and hold them until just before the end of last bar
- select a key with such a pre-sequenced note as the destination for the next recorded sample
- play the pattern
- set sample mode to 'one-shot' and sample trigger to 'note-on'
- press the sampling button to go into sampling standby mode
- when the downbeat of the 1st bar comes around sampling will automatically begin and the sample will automatically loop playback when sampling is concluded, just like a regular looper. there's a little gap of silence right at the end of the sample, but it's not too noticeable depending on how close note-off is to the end of the bar, especially if the sample is rhythmic or otherwise not constant-volume.

awesome! works very well in my experience, makes the MS highly functional as a looper even though korg frustratingly forgot to include an 'auto-loop' option for recording samples. combine this technique with foot pedal control over the sampling button and you can use the MS much like an RC-50 or other such looper, except with 36 sample slots, effects, and resampling (minus continuous overdub capability). that's uniquely formidable and very useful in a live situation.

some helpful tips :

- recording new samples must always progress from keys at the bottom end of the keyboard to the upper end, otherwise keys with pre-sequenced notes but no sample data of their own will automatically play pitch-shifted samples from further up the keyboard on each 1st bar downbeat, which sounds horrible and confusing

- the above method can be made more precise if you use MIDI sequencing software to create patterns with pre-set notes and import them into the MS via the software editor

- record a sample with a metronomic beat at the same tempo as the MS and set it's BPM mode to 'timestretch' so you can use that as a better, volume adjustable metronome at any tempo

- ?

would've never known any of this was possible without some of you mentioning it in other threads, so please share any additional tips or insight you might possess concerning this kind of workaround. cheers!
cdog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is awesome and needs more love! Very Happy
orchards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a video tutorial demonstrating this technique for further clarity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guJR-WxaTSY
FranzK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every time i try to do live looping on my microsampler,

the confusing interface / controls get in the way

and soon i head back to my Kaoss 3 again,
which just seems to make more sence!

KORGLECTION: FIVE Classic ELECTRIBES, FIVE KAOSS!
3 Volca, iPads, Three DS10, Monotron, Classic O1W/FD

See my videos! KORG and other Synths and Apps,
VJing, Animation, Games etc.
www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
orchards

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i know what you mean, KP3 is much easier to work with, but since it starts recording the instant you press the sampling button kinda hard to capture anything played on a guitar or otherwise involving two hands. considering the MS can be set up to start recording at a specific point in the loop regardless of how far in advance the sampling button is pressed, it's potentially more useful than the KP3 for some applications, not to mention having 36 sample slots compared to the KP3's 4! just takes practice, doesn't seem so complicated once you're accustomed to the way the MS works.

when you think about it, the MS pretty much IS a KP3 with a lot of extra features, since it has all the same effects only with 2 independent data knobs instead of an X/Y axis touchscreen. (i actually think the knobs provide more useful control for some effects.) MS is more flexible too considering you can assign many different effect parameters to the knobs whereas the KP3s parameter assignments are not editable.

in any case, your comment is probably the EXACT REASON why korg didn't include basic "auto-loop" functionality in the MS. why sell a customer 1 device that does everything they want when you can instead separate key features requiring them to purchase 2? it's very frustrating and shows the company is perhaps more interested in profits than producing the absolute best tools possible under the circumstances. regardless, the kaoss pad and microsampler are still pretty awesome / unique / powerful and i'm thankful korg produced them at all.

so far as live looping, i personally prefer the combined power of RC-50 + KP3 and have never used the MS in a performance situation, but thought there are probably a good few out there who might be interested in this technique and perhaps eager to push it a little further. if a user were determined the MS really could function as a uniquely potent, dependably solid all-in-one live-looping / effects performance solution, with a steeper but more rewarding learning curve. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: