Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plug-In Demo requested
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Plug-In Demo requested Reply with quote

Hy there!

I have an OASYS 76, and am looking at the KRONOS, primarily because I record mainly in my DAW (PreSonus StudioOne Pro) and the new USB integration (esp. "plug-in" mode) sound like exactly what I need...Or is it?

I'm also looking at an Access Virus TI (as an additional board, not "instead of") and LOVE the TI system they've developed...The integration afforded by current USB technology is amazing, but did Korg take it as far as they did?

What exactly does Korg consider a "plug-in", and why aren't there any videos of it in action yet?

Please help. Thanks!

~M
Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
StudioOne Pro | Spectrasonics Omnisphere | Trilian
Cinematic Guitars | EZ Drummer | Steve Slate Drums
Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understood, Kronos does not integrate nearly as much as my Access TI plugin does (everything from 16part multitimbral up to recording automation).

But at least it provides basic midi and audio connection (one stereo main out, if I remember well) over usb. That will do for the start.

Seeing a demo to get a basic impression how the Kronos connects to a software DAW would be fine and tell much more than some technical description. Since I'm new to Korg, I can't even compare the Oasys or M3 for that.
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Michael Blue I wish someone would answer your question Reply with quote

I hope someone can answer your question Michael
Cos mine is the same

I have the snow TI and am hoping that Kronos has the same kind of capability

I also have oasys and it's very sad that it is not available for use as a vst in my daw

I'm using omnisphere, rmx, ivory, machine, trillion etc it would be Awesome if I could have the oasys as a vst plug in in concert with the other vst's
I will gladly purchase if Kronos can be setup as a vst

If there Is no response I'll consider the answer to be NO

Thanks
Elvis
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Blue I wish someone would answer your question Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:

Thanks
Elvis

With the greatest of respect and for the accuracy of what is an open forum, you cannot assume no answer to mean a 'no' (where I'll assume you mean 'no' suggests there is no tight integration). There may be many genuine reasons why Korg cannot respond to your request here and now. Your assumption could well be incorrect and should not be reflected as the truth on this forum.

As I've mentioned on the OASYS forum at times - let's not get to uppity or ahead of ourselves here - we're not the centre of the Universe. Most Kronos users will never use this forum and Korg is not required, under any circumastance, to satisfay such demands here and jump to attnetion when we bark.

As an aside, while there is no plugin facility for OASYS (why should there be with a 6+ year old instrument), OASYS still offers quite tight integration into any DAW system. It offers 8 individual outs including though ADAT, 16 MIDI channels connected to MIDI tracks in a DAW, and of course essentially zero latency on up-to 176 note polyphony. It can also act as a capable control surface and Karma integration is also tight. You'll struggle to achieve anything like that even with Spectrasonics, NI or Arturia synth plugins on MIDI instrument tracks - from my experience they are all rediculously unrealistic to use CPU hogs beyond a few note polyphony for each instance.

So Kronos, with an editor, and already cited VST and AU plugin capability - with all of the onboard raw horse power - will be surely be nothing short of astounding. That high polyphony voice count at zero to low latency and large number of very different synth engines will make it hugely valuable to any DAW situation.

Let me tell you - 5 years after owning an OASYS (and using it quite a lot), I feel I've used about 5-10% of its capability. Every day I power it on feels close to the feeling of the 1st day I used it - it never, ever fails to excite; and it's bloody brilliant.

So - Kronos prosepctive owners - fear not - you will not know yourselves - for years. This thing is going to be the mother of all instruments - and you are not going to want to put it down for a very long time. It's integration in to a DAW - and more importantly into YOUR DAW workflow - will be significant mark my words.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Blue I wish someone would answer your question Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
So Kronos, with an editor, and already cited VST and AU plugin capability - with all of the onboard raw horse power - will be surely be nothing short of astounding. That high polyphony voice count at zero to low latency and large number of very different synth engines will make it hugely valuable to any DAW situation.

Kevin.

Well said

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Blue I wish someone would answer your question Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:

Thanks
Elvis

OK. If there is no response, I will assume Korg will be sending me a free Kronos 88. Smile

This is a user forum, not an official Korg forum. Korg people do post here, but I would not expect them to read every forum thread and every post.
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvis, we already know it will work "as a VST", but what we don't know it to what extent that integration will be.

I've had people tell me everything from "nothing but simple MIDI note information", which I already get from my crappy $100 Oxygen49, thankyouverymuch, to "it's gonna be amazing, just wait and see".

I basically posted this because I've asked the question in a few other thread on this and other forums with no official reply from Korg.

It's entirely possible this is still in the works and they're waiting to reply until they have a solid answer. No problem, but I just need some kind of response before the pre-order deals dry up.
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Blue wrote:
I basically posted this because I've asked the question in a few other thread on this and other forums with no official reply from Korg.

Even if this were the official Korg forum or if Korg would have one (do they?), I doubt they would read each post and far less answer each question.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this question to be answered properly one has to define what they mean
by VSTPlugIn. From what i know of as a fact it will have a VST and StandAlone
Editor, similar or same to the M3 but that doesnt make it a VST plugin in the
full sense. A VST plugin is something basically which can be used without a
module/keyboard to create Sound which is not the case with M3 or Kronos
and it will NEVER be. So basically, yes, it will be perfectly integrated with
almost all the features available thru the DAW but you still need the Kronos
connected to it, it is not a PlugIn as in the mainstream understanding of VST.
There will be no official response from Korg nor its their obligation.
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:

LOL! I love your assertiveness. Such arrogance.

Obviously they're not going to make a VST that wouldn't require the hardware. No one said they would/should.
Really, unless someone from Korg can take a minute to respond (and no, I never said it was their obligation Rolling Eyes ) everything else is pure conjecture and guess.

...Just looking for official description and confirmation.
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Blue wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:

Obviously they're not going to make a VST that wouldn't require the hardware. No one said they would/should.
Really, unless someone from Korg can take a minute to respond (and no, I never said it was their obligation Rolling Eyes ) everything else is pure conjecture and guess.

Funny thing about Nord Modular G2 Demo, is that it uses the computer CPU to generate sound. But on the full version, the software are using the G2 hardware CPU. So I would think Korg would be smart if they made the Kronos software also available for use with the computer CPU. I think they would cover both user groups, hardware and software fanatics. I think it's very interesting.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i still dont understand what you exactly need to know cuz i know that
i will be able to answer it to you, i probably dont understand the question.
As for arogance, i dont deny it but thats when usually happen when people
are actually trying to be real and hit it straight in the middle where it supposed to.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it is just plain wrong to assume that a VSTi has to rely on an internal software sound source.

A VSTi can just as well integrate an external sound source, just like an internal sound plugin. There are VSTi plugins for such different hardware instruments as the Moog LP, the Roland Fantom G and the Access Virus TI/TI2/Snow. External VSTis are normally connected via USB.

The degree of integration varies though, from providing basic midi connections and a stereo audio connection via usb, over some software sound editor and librarian integrated into the VSTi, up to multitimbral integration with embedded automation (allowing you to have the external sound source run exactly like a multitimbral internal plugin with control automation), and all audio outs available.

It is not yet obvious to most of us, especially those not coming from other recent Korg gear, how exactly the Kronos will integrate into a DAW. I remember that Dan from Korg has roughly answered some such questions I asked a while ago, but I am sorry that I forgot most of it and don't find the thread right now.

My main question at the moment is, how audio recorded on the Kronos gets into the DAW song structure.

One small tutorial video with ANY widespread DAW would probably answer our questions better than a hundred sentences.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Blue wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:

Integration will probably the same as the M3 as a plugin. This is probably a reasonable assumption.

Remember - Kronos is basically an OASYS with some add on EXi's. So Korg have not put any fundamental new thought into Kronos, and this is likely to be the case w.r.t it's DAW integration. It's a repackage job (albeit a really nice one I'll be buying in a heartbeat (and I own 2 OASYS)). But Kronos' OS is a clone of the OASYS - right down to the sequencer (warts and all and boy are their warts). Not one feature of the dozens of serious, outstanding issues of the OASYS sequencer, which OASYS users begged and screamed to be improved over the years, has been addressed in the Kronos - not one. It's sequencer is identical to that of OASYS. So I can't imagine that Korg put any more thought whatsoever into the Kronos DAW VSTi integration beyond what M3 already offers, at this juncture. That might change in future updates.

So I'd recommend downloading the M3 documentation from korguser.net and check out it's features - they are probably a good bet on what's to come; and might help you make a judgement.

I fully get your interest in this - this may be vital to some. But please do remember - this is not a Korg official forum; and as has been found, painfully, by many on the OASYS forum over 6 years - Korg never, EVER, respond to user demands here. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN!

Dan and others from Korg respond when they can, out of good will, interest and passion, with perhaps some strategic interest at times - but always at their choosing - never on our demand. NEVER! Do not get frustrated by this - you're wasting your time - ask any of the many on the OASYS forum practically begging for updates over the years and almost never getting any response. Don't go there.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: