Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavedrum Oriental review, anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aminco

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Wavedrum Oriental review, anyone? Reply with quote

Hardly any reviews have surfaced from WD Oriental users.

Do you sense improved expression/finger sensitivity compared to standard issue WD, well tuned?
Will you be using the new loops for more than practice?
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see in this video that I address the very issue of increased sensitivity on the Oriental.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYLWcc_LDeQ

As I mentioned in one of the other threads, this is due to the fact that the new algorithms that have been added to the Oriental version allow for more control of the sensitivity. This is in the effort to make the Middle Eastern percussion sounds more realistic due to the fact that most of those drums rely on very subtle and refined finger techniques.

One other difference with the Oriental, in regards to playing along with the loops, is that you can more seamlessly switch between sound programs (the ones generated from your hands or sticks) while the loops are playing.

With the original (silver) version this is often not the case (I never had the chance to check this issue with the Black version but I suspect it is the same). Since there is usually a slight lag-time when switching programs, this can cause the loop itself to hesitate momentarily during playback. The original intention of the loops was primarily as a practice device and not one really meant for performance (which is why tempos can not be adjusted, etc.).

With the Oriental, however, the loops will be play more smoothly when changing the sounds of the Wavedrum itself (as you can see in the video). I find the new loops to be exceptionally good sounding, so as long as the tempo works for any given situation, I would have no problem using them in a live performance.

[Edit: At the very beginning of this video I incorrectly state the original Wavedrum has only 50 loops when in fact it has 100. The Oriental version adds 40 more loops phrases in addition to the original 100. At a show like NAMM, it's sometimes hard to keep track of what you're saying after hundreds of demos!] Wink
aminco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for mentioning the loop lag, I'm glad to hear one of my peeves has been improved. I am totally into the performance potential. Speaking of which, I'd like to see MIDI clock out, so sequencers and loopers could be driven live by Wavedrum loops and who knows, perhaps by Wavedrum playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: