Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So the synth bug bit me hard!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: So the synth bug bit me hard! Reply with quote

I escaped it in the mid 80's, I got married, but now I'm lost to the urge.
So this new newb question is would having a PS-60 or Radias with the keyboard be to overly redundant with the Kronos I will have sometime next year? I know this is like asking a alcoholic if one more beer is ok. I am new to this world regardless of the instruments I was around growing up, two boards on the Kimball organ were a blast to play with as were the bass pedals! Hey Korg maybe an accessory for the KRONO in the future a set of bass pedals!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS60 would definitely be redundant... compared to the Kronos. The Radias is a great VA synth and although the Kronos will offer different VA synth engines, the Radias is fun to play and program with all the knobs. I have one and really like it.

Very Happy
TheLeadingSaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS60 is a "beginner synth", and the Kronos is a top of the line flagship synth, that would be stupid to combine, there isn't something you can make with the PS60 and you can't with Kronos.
So, if the debate is between those two, of course go for the Radias.
I don't know how is the vocoder on Kronos compared to Radias, but I don't think Kronos can do everything that Radias can, they probably didn't include a 700$ rack in the Kronos.
You should also check out Nord for another great keyboards that could fit with the Kronos.

If Radias, you mean the rack right?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is two keybeds. Kronos has one. I would like a second to go with it. I like the two keybeds of my dads old organ which I have now had for years, only it is starting to fail, smoke and all, so I am hoping for the Kronos and a second key board to use with it. Maybe the radias is the way to go. I was hoping there would be a reasonably great keybed without all the thrills. I'll check nord but at the price of the KRONOS I doubt it will be possible at this time where the radias I could swing, with the small keyboard included. Does that make sense? Is there some reason I shouldn't want to do this I am missing?
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
My goal is two keybeds.

I don't recommend you the radias keyboard.

several reasons:

a) it's not the best korg keybed ever.

b) it doesn't have a dedicated midi out. it's "hardwired" into the radias module with a proprietary connection, and the module has a midi out (thru) which could feed into the kronos.

But the "master" features of the radias are waaaaaay limited, so you could find yourself in trouble

c) the radias is WAY inferior to the kronos VA engines. You'll get tired of the radias soon. so don't build a setup on it

I'd recommend you a light master keyboard with plenty of "master" features (rotaries and faders, mod wheel and/or joystick, splitting/layering facilities).

Now, your choice.

you will sopend way less for way better keys,

and the kronos engine is so Uber-powered that you won't really need a secondo but lesser synth.

OR:

as a second keyboard, buy a real analogue (prophet, phatty): in that case you sacrifice master features but get the only [almost] sounds the kronos hasn't.

You think "organ", kronos + second master keyboard is the choice, IMHO.

WHICH master?

personal taste matters too much.

you may want waterfall, you may want no aftertouch and 100 bucks less, who knows?

I added a roland a-300 to my main synth, as a "second thought, in case I need one more split for a bass line or quick solo" keyboard, and it's value for the money.

But, again: go to the shop and try the keys and the controls: it's all about tat.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys I want to do it right and would rather not rush into it. FOCUS ON KRONOS. I mentioned else where I'm working on some sound for it so I have some research to do. Keyboard amp or PA. We'll see but that's a whole other topic for another time. Thanks for the insight guys and gals, continue on as desired. Laughing
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents on that whole other topic. The so-called advertised "keyboard" amps usually do not provide the sound and performance of some of the PA solutions. I'd recommend testing out the QSC K series speakers.

The QSC K10, with a U.S. street price of $700 might be a bit expensive. But, in the long run, you'll derive more satisfaction than with most keyboard amps. (With the possible exception of Motion Sound's line of amps.)
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here we go. I have not seen the OSC10 but I have heard some of the Peavey cabs and although I like the looks of the impulse 12d also about 700 for one I'm not sure I want to spend that. I was thinking maybe a pair of PR15 or PV 15 cabs and a small powered mixer. Weight isn't a issue. I did also see the th-15a thumps from Mackie but I'm not sure the quality is there. I am concerned with 10 inch speaker I think they are to small. 12's or 15 seem best to me. Add sub later. Conversely spend a little more for a powered cab and leave off the powered mixer. I'm undecided. I did try the r's kc 550 at store and they were very good on e drums I suspect they would work well for keyboards this would be just for at home use but it would be nice to have the flexibility of a pa should the need arise.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled on a used D-50 I had ruled the second board out but it was my dream machine for many years but being just married then I just couldn't do it. Anyway I think it would be a fine addition as a second board for a Kronos but I do not know what a fair price should be. Unit is in great shape and I am told has no noise on the outputs! Any help always appreciated.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I stumbled on a used D-50 I had ruled the second board out but it was my dream machine for many years but being just married then I just couldn't do it. Anyway I think it would be a fine addition as a second board for a Kronos but I do not know what a fair price should be.

From what I hear, between $300-$500, depending on condition and accessories included.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks! fyi it's on the bay and I may or may not try for it. I did some figuring and things are looking up so I may not have to wait long at all for two good boards. Saying my prayers!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well nord was mentioned and things might be a lot better then I thought, in that vein what is your opinions on that as a second? I am partial to the c2 organ but don't know yet if that would work. I also like the stage ex and wave. Of course if I find the organs of the Kronos aren't up to snuff my choices will change. I don't know much about moog but I do like the little phatty. I haven't looked at another Korg only because I figured that would be redundant for sure.

Ajbbklyn have you tried the QSC 10's? I was looking at the impulse 12d but find little in the way of reviews.

edit to add; from the specs Kronos models a tonewheel organ. I would like more then just tone wheel, maybe some pipe organ etc. We will see what we can get out of one when it is released.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Hey thanks! fyi it's on the bay and I may or may not try for it.

The D-50 is fun for awhile, but lacks many features--you can't do legitimate splits and layers with it, it has no sequencer, and editing is tedious with the small screen.

I have one--it's a doorstop.

Cool
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bid but it's hard not to, like I said it was my dream board for years now it's like I'm giving up on the dream, but the Kronos must be the focus. I also went to the mom and pop they had some QSC 12 and 10 and the sub. Man the 12's are really good. I took my wavedrum and we tried ti with and without the sub on the 12's and 10's to get the full effect of the WD the sub with the 12's switched to vocal was the best. The 12's on deep with vocal on was real good also. Now I think the Peavey Impulse 12D beats the QSC 12 out by a small margin. I need to play with the Peavey to really make that call. I won't make a decision on second boards or PA until I have the Kronos! I am leaning towards a Nord but I am tossed up on a board or the C2 and it will come down to what i can do with the Kronos in regards to organ sounds, if I can get great organ sounds then a board if not C2. I am leaning towards the Nord Stage ex 61 key I think it was. Like I said nothing happens until I have the Kronos. Well maybe just one pa. Wink

Oh the local store was 50 bucks under all the online sellers for the QSC 12!
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run QSC K8s. They are awesome singly, in a pair, or w/ just about any sub, all depending upon what level you need to go to (rehearsal, stage, pa). They destroy my previous keyboard amps, including a pair of Roland KC500s. I have never tried Community or Barbetta keyboard amps, but those are supposedly better than your average keyboard amp. Still, I'd rather have my K8s for the ridiculously small footprint and weight. My rig is chosen with that as a chief factor now.

FWIW, if size and weight aren't a factor, I would strongly recommend listening to QSC's HPR series. The 122i sounded better to a bunch of us in the store over the K12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: