Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So the synth bug bit me hard!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Lord wrote:
Could you push me to the right direction about how to do this "guitar mode" the ams mixers on the M3. Remember JR talking about this on his Kurzweil on some old video and never thought it was possible with my M3

First, you'll need to go into the "AMS Mixer" page, select your chosen mixer, and set the Mixer Type to "Gate Control." From there, you'll follow the M3 Xpanded Parameter Guide (p. 74):

Quote:
Selective pitch-bend, using only the joystick

You can also use a single AMS source as both the Control
Source and a value source:

1. Set the Control Source to JS X.

2. Set Control At Note-On Only to On (checked).

3. Set the Threshold to 00.

4. Set Below Threshold to AMS A: JS X.

5. Set At & Above Threshold to a Fixed Value of 00.

6. On the OSC Pitch page, assign the AMS Mixer to control
    the pitch.

7. Also on OSC Pitch, set the standard JS+X and JS–X
    amounts to 0.

This way, only the AMS Mixer’s processed version of the
    joystick will affect the pitch.

8. With the joystick in the center, play a chord, and hold it
    through step 9.

9. Bend the joystick to the left, and then play a new note
    above the chord.

10. Use the joystick to bend the pitch of the new note.

The new note will bend, but the original chord (played
before you bent the joystick down) will not. This method is
particularly good for bending the top note of a chord up to
pitch.

The same page also includes a variant where the unison bending mode is toggled on and off via a switch, giving you the option of normal bending without resetting the AMS mixer.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord do you guys have these manuals memorized! I'm going to need to keep a hard copy of the Kronos manual on hand for years to learn learn it all, maybe longer!
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I did try the r's kc 550 at store and they were very good on e drums I suspect they would work well for keyboards this would be just for at home use but it would be nice to have the flexibility of a pa should the need arise.

I own 2 KC-500s and I appreciate their built-in mixer (4 stereo channels), their simple but effective built-in EQ and their stereo link which allow me to keep my setup simple.

They behave like (big) monitors and they are quite neutral. I feel they can really bring out the qualities of my synths (EX5, FS1R, K5000, Blofeld...). They are perfect for rehearsals and as a personal PA on stage.

They are a bit oversized for home use, and you have to be very careful with the volume setting if you don't want to damage your ears. Their low end is rock solid (no sub needed!) yet very clean; their trebles are very energetic and they can cut through everything (thanks to the compression speaker); they can be very loud without any perceptible distortion so you may not be aware of the very high SPL being output...
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer yea I was really surprised by it but I am holding off until I can try the Impulse 12 D. I won't look to long though. I think the QSC k12 is about the size of 550 and it and the QSC k10 an be used as wedges.

Now if I were to download the manual for the Oasys how confused would I be when the Kronos arrives?
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to add a controller to use as a second keyboard on a Kronos, and budget wasn't an issue, I'd probably go with the Vax77 from Infinite Response. It's supposed to have a great feeling keyboard (for both piano and organ, a rare feat), and it has polyphonic aftertouch which will add another level of expressivity to what you'll be able to do with the Kronos (which recognizes poly AT, but whose keyboard does not itself generate it).

I agree the Nords are very nice pieces. I think the Wave you mentioned would be a nice complementary choice... a knobby VA synth with a fun immediacy and clarity of control, its own sonic character, access to all the cool sounds in their sample library, the ability to use their morph function to easily create dynamic effects that are otherwise often difficult (or impossible) to do, the pitch stick... The Stage EX gives you a lot of this as well, but it doesn't have access to the sample library (you need the forthcoming Stage 2 for that feature), and the synth capabilities are weaker. But you get more keys, and access to their piano and organ engines (though I prefer the Kronos' CX3 organ engine).

In general, if you intend to play piano and organ, I would make the keybed an important part of the choice. If you're getting the Kronos 61, I would want to make sure a second board had a good action for piano playing; if you're getting the Kronos 73 or 88, I would want to make sure the second board felt good for organ playing.

As for speakers, the QSCs are good, but I happen to prefer EV, having compared their ZXA1 to the QSC K8.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EV I haven't seen around, I'll take a look. Thanks Yes I do like the nords and the Prophet but at the price of the Kronos and the desire to not have to use head phones all the time some sort of speakers are needed. I have kicked around the idea of adding the KRK 10s to my KRK RP5s. A less expensive and quieter set for home. The RP %s seem to do well with teh WD I'm sure the 10s would compliment well.

Next to build a Kronos 88 workstation desk, but that's a topic for anotehr thread I will start shortly. That and I have access to some cow hide so I will tool a leather case for it once I have it!
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify that I was saying I liked the EVs (personally, better than the QSCs) for live use. But if I was getting something strictly for in-studio use, I would probably look for studio monitors that would sound better than any of these PA units.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I have tried has sounded good to me through my KRKs. I know they are not top of the line but I don't need that just good decent sound. I'll probably just add the sub, less expensive and will finish off that part of my music room. I have to be carefull my wife is eyeing the KRKs for her computer! That could be good or bad!
Mutter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. I too have been struggling with the decisition of what set up to use with 2 manuals one over the other. i curentley have a oasys 76 and a memorymoog bought them both when they first came out. The moog is in perfict condition and has a great interface but is too quirky to rely on. Anyway i want to have 88 key piano with a symth action above it spaced reasonably close. The controler idea intreagued me at first but i want a kronos and the oasys is too big and heavy to live on top and the large screen seems in the way on bottom but i do love the extra keys on the 76

I have pre ordered a kronos 88 and a kronos 61 and plan to sell oasys. This may sound crazy and redundent but the convenince of being able to take the light 61 around and work on sounds and songs and then lerning 1 system instead of haveing to deal with something that works diffrently (i.e. a competitive platform) seems like a good idea to me and after 5 years of oasys i seem to learn new things every time i go exploring in it. also i got a amasing deal when i preordered the 2 kronos

my concerns are that the keybed and or the build quality won't be at the level the oasys is. The oasys keybed is very nice and well made and the M3 73 I had, which I recently sold, I liked its keybed just as well if not better. Someone mentioned on this thread the 61 key may not be of the same quality. My last trip to the music store to look at different keybeds, I noticed the lower end Korg's keybeds were really junk. And I also noticed there was an M3 88 in the store and a SV1 piano, both had the RH3 keybed but the M3 keys had a glossier finish lighter touch and seemed to be of better quality, like they were made in different factories.

of course i am second guessing myself Shocked

I also have rhodes mk2, hammond b3, and yamaha cp70
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutter wrote:
I have pre ordered a kronos 88 and a kronos 61 and plan to sell oasys. This may sound crazy and redundent but the convenince of being able to take the light 61 around and work on sounds and songs and then lerning 1 system instead of haveing to deal with something that works diffrently

Will you ever be using the 88 at some time or place where you would not also have access to the 61? If so, I think your plan is sensible. But if you'll always have the 61 around, and just want to be able to run a Kronos from an 88 key action in your main studio, you could just plug any 88 into the Kronos 61 to do that, it does not have to be a Kronos 88. Apart from the possibility of saving money, you could conceivably find some 88 with an action that you like better than the Korg's, or one with some other features/benefits that would complement rather than completely duplicate those on the 61.
Mutter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott I did think that way but was concerned of the intergradetion and getting the velocity right on both the controler and the k-61 at the same time also the ability to jump around to different paches with out much pre planing would seem like a nice place to be. and yes at times it would be nice to have the 88 and not have to worry about the 61 being in the same place. But I may keep looking at different controllers to see what I can find.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutter wrote:
my concerns are that the keybed and or the build quality won't be at the level the oasys is. The oasys keybed is very nice and well made and the M3 73 I had, which I recently sold, I liked its keybed just as well if not better. Someone mentioned on this thread the 61 key may not be of the same quality.

Per Korg reps, the Kronos-61 uses the exact same keybed as the M3-61 and M3-73.
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way. I have used the M373 for one year and thr kronos 61 didn't feel like that. The kronos looked like a pure synt action, while the m3-73 is semiweighted.

May be a subjective perception in a short test, but the kronos 61 felt definitely "synthy"
RichF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos-61 definitely has the same keybed action as the M3-61 and M3-73.
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF wrote:
The Kronos-61 definitely has the same keybed action as the M3-61 and M3-73.

so my memory is bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: