Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So the synth bug bit me hard!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mutter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still very concerned about the key bed types and would love for Rich or KORG to post what differences there may be or maybe there are no differences at all, but as I said earlier, I was at the Sam Ashe store and they had some M3 88 and had some SV-1 88 pianos there and they had an M50 88. All these are advertised to have the RH3 keybed in them, however when you look at KORG's web site on the M3 page the specs for the keybed says "KORG's "finest RH3 keybed" and on the M50 and the SV-1 KORG's website says it has the "RH3 keybed". SO I only looked at this on KORG's website after I noticed the difference at the store and to me the keys on the M3 had a glossier finish and seemed to me a nicer feeling keybed. Also on the 61 would it be possible that the action is the same but the materials could be different?

Yeah, I'm not trying to nitpick, it's that I don't want to trade down from the feeling of playing with the OASYS which has a feeling of high quality. I guess the ONE thing I want to know is will the KRONOS have KORG's finest keybed assemblies. Thanks
RichF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos 73 and 88 will definitely have Korg's finest weighted, which is RH3. It's the same keybed in all the weighted instruments you played (M3, SV-1, M50). I don't know what you saw on the sales floor... Possibly a keyboard that needed a little cleaning. Smile
Mutter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Rich, I'm definitely psyched and the "synth" bug has bitten hard. Can't wait to try these puppies out.
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF wrote:
Kronos 73 and 88 will definitely have Korg's finest weighted, which is RH3. It's the same keybed in all the weighted instruments you played (M3, SV-1, M50). I don't know what you saw on the sales floor... Possibly a keyboard that needed a little cleaning. Smile

Hey Rich. I never tested the RH3 Before. Kronos will be my Second Korg instrument since I had a Electribe ES-1. How expressive is the Aftertouch? Do i need to sit on the Keys or can I just add minor pressure on the RH3 Keys?
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutter, I'd like to ask a question - as well as to anyone else who has real analogs and an OASYS. And if anyone can say that they're bitten by the synth bug, it's me. Wink

How do you like the AL-1 filters compared to your Memorymoog? I know the AL-1 isn't described as having a modeled Moog filter like the Access Virus, and is supposed to have a "KORG" sound. Does it have a juicy "analogish" quality?

I have a Radias and Virus both and have been very impressed with them. But when I got my Arturia Origin, I was reminded very distinctly of the sound of a Minimoog I had the pleasure of playing with, as well as a Memorymoog, OB-8 and Prophet 5. In fact, I released a series of "template" patches roughly modeled on these vintage synths, and have gotten some very nice feedback about them. Unfortunately, the OASYS is one of those instruments I haven't been able to spend any quality time with, and likewise AL-1.

OASYS owners have remarked on how AL-1 is a distinct step up from the Radias, and I'm curious if it makes you think of something like a "KORG Andromeda."
Mutter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think AL-1 has a range of sound that is analog sounding and it also has the ability fo be further processed on board the oasys. The memorymoog is easy for me to acheve a raw bite type sound. but to be honest I haven't realy thought of the differences in the filter or the OSC the MM uses curtis 3340. the control surface on the mm can't be beat. I wish korg had made a MM exi.

I had a M3-76 with exb-Radias and a Radias and I did not invest the time to learn it one reason I felt the oasys and the AL-1 sounded better and when kronos was anounced I put it on e-bay and got 2200 usd. Very Happy

I love vintage instruments but the time and money spent on maintance is way more than most people would realize. Moogs have a very complex tuning procedure, Rhodes has to have new tone bar grommets & hammer tips & felts then need to be carefuly voiced, Hammonds require recaping and leslie cabnets need work to and so on.

I would give them all up Before I went without a Oasys or Kronos but that is just me. Rolling Eyes
RichF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
RichF wrote:

Hey Rich. I never tested the RH3 Before. Kronos will be my Second Korg instrument since I had a Electribe ES-1. How expressive is the Aftertouch? Do i need to sit on the Keys or can I just add minor pressure on the RH3 Keys?

I find myself able to explore varying degrees of aftertouch without too much pressure, but it definitely requires a deliberate effort. Do you have a reference point to compare it to?
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF wrote:
robinkle wrote:
RichF wrote:

I find myself able to explore varying degrees of aftertouch without too much pressure, but it definitely requires a deliberate effort. Do you have a reference point to compare it to?

I had a Fatar VMK weighted hammer keys with aftertouch. On those I had to hold on to the keyboard when I press aftertouch so I could add more strength/power to trigger aftertouch. When I had a DSI Prophet 08 with synth action keys, I just had to close my eyes and think about my finger pressing harder, and it triggered the aftertouch. I wonder where Kronos with it's RH3 aftertouch keys are in this scale?
RichF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
I had a Fatar VMK weighted hammer keys with aftertouch. On those I had to hold on to the keyboard when I press aftertouch so I could add more strength/power to trigger aftertouch. When I had a DSI Prophet 08 with synth action keys, I just had to close my eyes and think about my finger pressing harder, and it triggered the aftertouch. I wonder where Kronos with it's RH3 aftertouch keys are in this scale?

RH3 is definitely between those two.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF wrote:
robinkle wrote:

In the middle? if Fatar was 1 and Prophet 08 was 9. you would say 5 on Kronos? can it be customized?
RichF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
RichF wrote:
robinkle wrote:

In the middle? if Fatar was 1 and Prophet 08 was 9. you would say 5 on Kronos? can it be customized?

I'd put it between 4 and 5. You can't physically alter the action of the keys, but you can modify the response in quite a few ways, depending on how you're using aftertouch.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Mutter.

On the key pressure discussion, I've found that KORGs have pretty good pressure implementation. I love the feel of my M3-73, but an invaluable addition to that synth is a KORG EXP-2 expression pedal. My Karma's pressure sensor is crapping out, though it does have a cheaper Fatar keybed I believe. The EXP-2 has enabled me to add expression for the Karma, and another source for the M3. When I get my KRONOS, I'm ordering another EXP-2 for it, and I'd highly suggest you guys do the same. Especially on these mega-powerful instruments like The K, having as many sources of expression as you can get, ribbon, pedals, even breath controller if you can manage, is a great resource.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: