Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rhode & MiniMoog can be done on Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Rhode & MiniMoog can be done on Kronos? Reply with quote

Hi all

Watch this vid on vimeo...some dude playing a rhodes and moog voyager. Just wondering if the Kronos can be set up with karma to reproduce Rhodes in left hand and moog solo in righ hand.

Also listen to rhodes at about 4 min mark there is a wah wah type of sound...can Kronos do this with EP? Also, is Kronos EP better than this Rhondes??

http://vimeo.com/20411576

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to all your questions is yes. Except perhaps "is Kronos EP better than this Rhodes?". IMHO nothing can beat the real thing. However, Kronos can definitely get you in the ballpark.
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

short story

yes, "as far as an emulation can be compared to the original".

long story

with less than 1000 us$ and 5 or 6 kilos you can get a real moog sound, midi and with little or no hassle,

while the real rhodes sound requires an expensive, heavy and heavy-maintenance instrument. using it as a midi keyboard requires megabucks.

I don't use analogue synth emulations, I find them weak.

But a huge array of analogues still weighs less than a real rhodes piano.

I gave up using the real rhodes, I won't give up using the real analogues, and don't recommend to.

So, another way of answering could be:

a) yes, the kronos is good enough at emulating rhodes, that you can avoid buying a truck for transporting a real rhodes.

Nobody who is not a serviced professional would carry a rhodes for daily gigs.

b) yes, the kronos is good enough at emulating a minimoog (and has more modulation possibilities than a voyager)

but

c) no, the kronos is NOT good enough to be an ultimate alternative to the real thing as far as moog is concerned. Little and non-expensive moog synths (phatty, slim phatty) are still better than the kronos, and weight is of no relevance in the choice.

One can seriously think of forgoing the kronos for a real moog.
Mutter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see becides recreating the exact moog sound would be keyboard size the 61 would to cramped after a kb split and if done on a 88 you would not have the synth action. also karma wound not be used for this.
Mutter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very hopeful of the EP-s in the KRONOS and I have envisioned in my mind they will be superior to all but the top 1% of the Rhodes. I have 2 vintage Mark 2 Rhodes, one in excellent and one in mint condition andi I understand how to work on them. The problem with the real instrument is you get it voiced a certain way and that's what you have. You don't get the ability to change the voicing of the piano like you can on the KRONOS. And this voicing on the real piano does not always stay that way although they hold tune very well, in the fact it is very difficult to have all the notes in the same instrument with the same voicing or "bark". Any way my hopes are high the KRONOS will be better than a RHodes in the "average" conditiion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: