Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG.UK.CO has Kronos page w/ specs.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I know the joke with revolutions (we had none besides 1989), not demonstrations, but as you like...
You should be precise: "East Germany" had a revolution in 1989.
For us living in West Germany nothing has really changed. Ok, maybe two issues:
1. I still have to pay the "Soli" (solidarity tax contribution).
2. Some celebrated the reunion of their family, some met, but didn't celebrate.
Other than that, no changes:
Do we Germans have a sense of humor?
A: No.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
For us living in West Germany nothing has really changed

come on...

a) Skoda stopped being good only for bad jokes in US movies, and became a decent vehicle, since being vau-we-zied

b) Movies who mention Berlin are no more ALWAYS centered on spies OR on heel-knocking black-dressed thugs.

c) thanks to Ze Mighty Evro, expectations about prices of keyboards now have all the thrill and suspence of pre-1989 EastGerman calculations about potato prices and availability in neighborhood markets

d) Germany is no more known for huge mass meetings of demented drones chanting basic melodies and going to self-destruction...

... oh, no, wait. I'd forgotten Raves! Embarassed

e) since 1989, bad guys in American movies [blackmailers, polluters, spies, creepy crime multinational CEOs ] don't usually have German accents any more.

They have British accents!

orpheus2006 wrote:
Do we Germans have a sense of humor?A: No.

Sure hope you do! Wink

jimknopf wrote:
completely outdated silly old "Kraut" cliches in the US.

right. There's plenty of silly NEW cliches! Wink
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@orpheus2006
To me it doesn't matter a bit if Germans are east or west: they are just Germans to me. Seriously: A LOT has changed, and IMHO we are as alive again as we were in the "roaring 20s": finally with a growing sense of humor and culture in the better sense again, despite all dumbness which can be met in any country worldwide including us.

So back on topic: I can joke with everyone about Korg Germany being oldfashioned in their reluctance to show up before final official words, but I won't swallow it, simply because it reflects totally outdated German overcorrectness.

So all they need is a well meant kick in the butt, to get back to present Germany, instead of living in their past IMHO! Laughing
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
There is a joke here in Germany, that revolutions normally don't happen here, since it is forbidden to step unto lawn(s). If we still got 1989 going, it probably was due to the fact that there were enough streets available. Laughing

Perhaps Stephen would translate your German thinking into his own German-understanding of how he thinks Germans speak literally: Smile

I said it was a joke. Wink

I vas tinking of Colonel Klink und Sargeant Schultz in Hogan's Heroes (60's American Sit-Com)...

orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
come on...

a) Skoda stopped being good only for bad jokes in US movies, and became a decent vehicle, since being vau-we-zied

b) Movies who mention Berlin are no more ALWAYS centered on spies OR on heel-knocking black-dressed thugs.

c) thanks to Ze Mighty Evro, expectations about prices of keyboards now have all the thrill and suspence of pre-1989 EastGerman calculations about potato prices and availability in neighborhood markets

d) Germany is no more known for huge mass meetings of demented drones chanting basic melodies and going to self-destruction...

... oh, no, wait. I'd forgotten Raves! Embarassed

e) since 1989, bad guys in American movies [blackmailers, polluters, spies, creepy crime multinational CEOs ] don't usually have German accents any more.

Ozy, I was talking about revolutional changes, or changes caused by the reunion.
Adopting new business models, company takeovers, technical inventions including "techno parties" (raves) has not been a result of the reunion. We were good (or bad, depending on the standpoint) at these things long before.

Quote:
To me it doesn't matter a bit if Germans are east or west

I fully agree, today we are one nation, no "Ossis" and no "Wessis" anymore!
But the revolution was a "East Germany" revolution in the first place. They brought down the government. They brought the "Stasi" to the court. They fighted for their rights. And in many cases their lives have changed dramatically.

Regarding German humor:

I don't translate it, you wouldn't understand it w/o a sense of German humor.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen, the first sign of humour in any country of the world from my view is the ability to laugh at yourself (or your own country etc.), so no offence taken at all!

On the other hand, the jokes of the sixties (especially from american sitcoms) aren't smelling too fresh in 2011 either, are they? Wink

While we are at national peculiarities: What looked much more funny to me in some news I just read yesterday, was a hint at the fact, that meanwhile 40 cents of every dollar, which an average American spends, aren't his own money, but loans, mainly made possible and paid by the Chinese state.

The report added a personal experience from a German journalist working and living in the USA:
When he wanted to lease a car, the main objective of the car seller was not, how much he had constantly earned over many years, but how much he had been living on credit over these years!!! After they recognized that he was practically debt free, they got very suspicious about his credit frame and suddenly wanted three times the monthly lease rate they had wanted from the start!?!?

This is something looking absurd to such an incredible degree, that it could make a German laugh all day and night about Americans, for obviously having lost ALL sense of reality, with narrow chances of ever coming back to real life, obviously regarding being bankrupt as an alternative way of life. Funny capitalism! Now tell us Germans we don't have a sense of humor. Laughing Laughing Laughing

@orpheus2006: now come on, allow us to share a bit of the proudness of 1989! If it would have been the other way round, we would have kicked authoritarian butts as well, wouldn't we? Cool

Ceterum censeo: there should be a Korg Kronos, and as soon as possible a release date, on the German Korg site!
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
@orpheus2006: now come on, allow us to share a bit of the proudness of 1989! If it would have been the other way round, we would have kicked authoritarian butts as well, wouldn't we? Cool
Very likely! There were enough reasons that motivated a fight against the regime: no freedom of opinion, extensive spying on somebody (all over the place), reduced mobility, limited range of goods, terms of imprisonment for opponents, ...

Some remarks on German humor:
It is a widespread stereotype outside the country that Germans have a distorted understanding of humorous situations. The opposite is true.
Why is that?
German-language humor is, for linguistic reasons, constructed differently to English-language humor. German grammar allows to split compounds when reordering a sentence leading often to another sense and allowing some type of puns that are unknown in English language. German humor is also more prone to make use of local dialects, customs and varieties, which are abundant but less easy to translate. We often like to use seriousness and satirical elements as means of humor.
Here is a good example:

German language's finesse offers a sort of unintentional humor through ambiguity: The sentence above is intended to mean: "This area is video-observed by the police to prevent crimes" but can also be understood as "This area is video-observed to prevent crimes committed by the police."
Laughing
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
But the revolution was a "East Germany" revolution in the first place. They brought down the government. They brought the "Stasi" to the court. They fighted for their rights.

May I interrupt for a second?

Orpheus's sentence is terribly right, and it remembers something terribly beautiful and right.

Now, let's move back to the OT bullshitting, but 1989 was a bloodless revolution of the best kind, and those who did it deserve respect and admiration.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one last remark about stereotypes:
The United Nations initiated a poll with the request, "Please tell us your honest opinion about the lack of food in the rest of the world." The poll was a total failure. The Russians did not understand "Please". The Italians did not know the word "honest". The Chinese did not know what an "opinion" was. The Europeans did not know "lack", while the Africans did not know "food". Finally, the Americans didn't know anything about the "rest of the world".
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Germany is no more known for huge mass meetings of demented drones chanting basic melodies and going to self-destruction...
You can experience this every second Saturday at "Westfalenstadion", the football stadium in the German city of Dortmund in the industrial metropolitan area of the Ruhrgebiet! I don't know exactly how much litres of beer they consume for their self-destruction, but over 80000 are chanting very basic melodies and all are kind of demented. Wink
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, they are only some 80 kilometers from here and sing for my favorite soccer team! And you are talking about the best soccer team in years which should win the championship, due to an excellent coach, giving enough reason for some basic chants. Very Happy

That brings us back on topic: best soccer team in years -> Kronos engines
After hearing the various demos, the CX3 sounds like the weakest part of the chain to me: especially in the high ranges and with full drawbar settings it sounds a bit too artificial to me. What do you others think?

On the other hand, the Kronos VAs attract me more and more. That little Korg funk synth bass just sounds gorgeous in my ears (I played a Polysix for some years, and as far as I can tell from memory, Korgs modelling is pretty close).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Even though I'm an OASYS owner, when you read that feature set, laid out in front of you like that, you realise what an absolutely staggering instrument it is. The list of features is absolutley enormous.

I hadn't realised that EXs2 is still on offer as well as the new SGX - very nice touch.

Another apparently very exciting feature is the capacity to house up to 4GB of RAM for user samples/sampling (but you must not load all EXs' in that instance). So the capacity to hold user samples is very large by workstation standards, and if the case will allow for the likes of Sharp's OASYS ASSAULT and KARO Sample Libraries to be loaded, for example.

hey Kevin, I am not reading 4GB to hold samples.

When shipped from factory, sample ram is 237MB
If you delete EXs libraries,- it will be an additional 314MB.

Preset PCM:
314 MB (ROM 1,505 multisamples, 1388 drum samples)
Build-in Expansion PCM Libraries:
EXs1 - ROM Expansion
EXs2 - Concert Grand Piano
EXs3 - Brass & Woodwinds
EXs4 - Vintage Keyboards
EXs5 - ROM Expansion 2
EXs6 - SGX-1 German D Piano
EXs7 - SGX-1 Japanese C Piano
EXs8 - Rock Ambience Drums
EXs9 – Jazz Ambience Drums
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg - you are right.

would you believe it, if you click on the "Specifications page" this is what you read:

"...
Capacity of PCM RAM:
Approx. 1GB*4
*4 The memory available for RAM samples will change based on the use of Expansion PCM libraries.
About 273MB is available when shipped from the factory (when loading the file named “PRELOAD.KSC”).
..."

I read the 1GB*4 to mean 4GB - but of course it means 1GB and the *4 is a foot note marker !

My apologies to all for creating a false expectation, I should have read it more carefully.

Kevin.

PS - As an aside - I have to say that jimknopf your post where to take a dig at the US is a little in poor taste. Recommend staying on topic.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I'm aware both the German as the US asides were offtopic. I apologize for being a part of that and am very willing to get back on topic while waiting for the Kronos. And of course all these asides are generalising stereotypes to a certain degree.

But: what makes me wonder is why you had no problems with comments mocking German 'habits' while you seem to have problems with mocking US 'habits'.

How's that? Do US citizens have problems becoming aware how funny some of their 'habits' might look to people in the rest of the world? Are they able to have a casual laugh about their own culture?

My question is not meant provokative: I'm really interested.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
My question is not meant provokative: I'm really interested.

Oh, c'mon. Of course it's meant to be provocative. Mr. Green

And it's not even relevant, given that Kevin's from Ireland. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: