Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Kronos' piano play ppp convincingly?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Lando wrote:
and I doubt noone in their right mind would say that it at least outclasses the Kronos pianos (who sounds amazing)

I would. But that's just because I know what's coming up from Modartt. Wink

Ooohh we have a Pianoteq beta tester amongst us. Shocked Cool

Regards
Sharp.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Wink
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing workstations to DAWs is, IMO, a perfectly legitimate and necessary comparison to make. And for every situation comes the right tool for the right job, heavily seasoned with more than just a dash of personal preference. However, IMO, RR's intent of raising this [old, tired, beaten to death] topic isn't being done with good intentions. Neither is the hypothetical question he raises about whether or not the Kronos can play "ppp".

Lando wrote:
You post in all kinds of threads in a Korg Kronos forum how much better it is with software solutions and while you may have a point I don't think it adds anything to the Kronos discussions or forums.

I agree. Not only is it hard to fathom what RR has to contribute to Kronos discussions but it's also hard to fathom his math. This whole thing about how it would be cheaper to put together a computer-based DAW system? Conveniently, the price of a keyboard controller and interfaces have been left out of his equation. Glad he's not my accountant -- if he was I'd probably get audited! Wink

Here's my take... RR has made it his pastime to come here and raise veiled, disparaging, almost always negative hypothetical questions about the Kronos and stir debate about non-issues regarding on a keyboard that very few people have (at this time) heard or played in person. Funny, because RR did exactly the same thing back when the Oasys was introduced. And re the Kronos, I think RR proves Lando's point when he wrote:

Quote:
However, from my own personal point of view and circumstances, Kronos is redundant and of little benefit to me.

So, seems like RR's posted his own "end of the road" sign at the end of the road.

Last edited by peter_schwartz on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky, thank you for sharing the details of your work and aspect. I found it very interesting - especially the music therapy for autistic adults - and I agree in some points.

I'm also trained on classical and some jazz piano. I'm using and like Logic on MacBook Pro. I know, tried and like the idea of Pianoteq.

I understand you are satisfied with your setup and you don't need Kronos. I think there's nothing wrong with that. So then, I suppose, you can play convincing ppp with what you have.

IMHO nothing beats the real thing, for example a Steinway, a Fazioli, a Bösendorfer. A substitute - your setup or my setup - is always worse but usable quite well at the same time. Because of many reasons we must make a compromise. A workstation provides a good solution, for me OASYS is excellent (as a workstation, not as a real piano!) and I guess Kronos would be even better.

PS. Please tell some more about that music therapy or share a link for more info. Thank you.
Lando

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:
Comparing workstations to DAWs is, IMO, a perfectly legitimate and necessary comparison to make. And for every situation comes the right tool for the right job, heavily seasoned with more than just a dash of personal preference.

I definitly agree, hope what I said didn't come out as meaning the opposite.

peter_schwartz wrote:
Here's my take... RR has made it his pastime to come here and raise veiled, disparaging, almost always negative hypothetical questions about the Kronos and stir debate about non-issues regarding on a keyboard that very few people have (at this time) heard or played in person. Funny, because RR did exactly the same thing back when the Oasys was introduced.

Personal grudge with Korg or something?

EvilDragon wrote:

I would. But that's just because I know what's coming up from Modartt. Wink

Looking forward to finding out. I really belive modelled pianos are the future, hope their next generation will kick ass!
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lando wrote:
...hope what I said didn't come out as meaning the opposite.

Not at all. I was referring to what RR had to say about how a DAW is "this and that" over the Kronos. If only he would make his comparison to other workstations then he'd at least he'd have established a position on "workstations as compared to DAW's". But instead it seems that he's anti-Korg-workstation.
ozy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
Ricky, Please tell some more about that music therapy or share a link for more info. Thank you.

yes please ricky.

explain how music can soothe nerves,

make one person easy, optimistic, good-natured, and unable to make trouble, especially on synth forums.

I maybe interested in the product, I'd like to become as friendly and as tolerant as you.

[Don't look at me that way, people. I am a grumpy curmudgeon and happy to be like that. I know that. But I don't claim I am a "therapist", at least Rolling Eyes ]
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lando wrote:
I was about to leave this thread, but seriously Rricky, you are trolling like crazy here!

I'm not sure that posting opinions - if favour of Kronos or otherwise - constitutes trolling. You see trolls... good for you!
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:

Here's my take... RR has made it his pastime to come here and raise veiled, disparaging, almost always negative hypothetical questions about the Kronos and stir debate about non-issues regarding on a keyboard that very few people have (at this time) heard or played in person. Funny, because RR did exactly the same thing back when the Oasys was introduced..

I veil nothing. I just calls 'em as I sees 'em Very Happy
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:
Lando wrote:
...hope what I said didn't come out as meaning the opposite.

Not at all. I was referring to what RR had to say about how a DAW is "this and that" over the Kronos. If only he would make his comparison to other workstations then he'd at least he'd have established a position on "workstations as compared to DAW's". But instead it seems that he's anti-Korg-workstation.

Well I still love my M1 and my Trinity V3 and my recent microstation, so it's the big buzzer you love so much for you!
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
Ricky, thank you for sharing the details of your work and aspect. I found it very interesting - especially the music therapy for autistic adults - and I agree in some points.

PS. Please tell some more about that music therapy or share a link for more info. Thank you.

Thanks, Akos. Lots of information online, a Canadian perspective here:

http://www.musictherapy.ca/

My work focusus chiefly on cases of autism.

:Edited to remove a typo:

Last edited by rrricky rrrecordo on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:
Ricky, Please tell some more about that music therapy or share a link for more info. Thank you.

yes please ricky.

explain how music can soothe nerves,

make one person easy, optimistic, good-natured, and unable to make trouble, especially on synth forums.

I maybe interested in the product, I'd like to become as friendly and as tolerant as you.

[Don't look at me that way, people. I am a grumpy curmudgeon and happy to be like that. I know that. But I don't claim I am a "therapist", at least Rolling Eyes ]

Well ozy, I help people who are essentially non-verbal autistic or Aspergars syndrome afflicted. I don't think you need my services Wink
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booting time of music work station is not really too shorter than a properly configured computer and DAW.

The sampled based workstations can taken close to 10 minutes on average to boot up and load the samples.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrricky rrrecordo wrote:
I help people who are essentially non-verbal autistic or Aspergars syndrome afflicted. I don't think you need my services Wink

indeed not.

I am more of the savant-idiot kind

Wacky ,

that of the idiot-savant one:

Thumbs Up
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
rrricky rrrecordo wrote:
I help people who are essentially non-verbal autistic or Aspergars syndrome afflicted. I don't think you need my services Wink

indeed not.

I am more of the savant-idiot kind

Wacky ,

that of the idiot-savant one:

Thumbs Up

Nope, no problems expressing yourself verbally, and quite eloquently in a non-native language to boot. Graphics need tweaking tho.

When I get a few smiles out of my autistic clients, our teams of support workers smile as well. When I can get one of these clients to sing songs they heard twenty years ago, word for word, with pure joy in their eyes and bodies, we have renewed hope. When I see a client perform a Beethoven sonata, or analyze a complex jazz progression (as my special friend Aaron regularly does in his monosyllabic manner), I see God.

The best music isn't in a workstation. It's in the mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: