Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Near field monitors for Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannyboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Near field monitors for Kronos Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I would like to hear your suggestions for what you are going to use as speakers for your Kronos (and possibly other) workstation.

After a period in which I did not touch synths at all (I still have an M1 and a WS EX but I am not even sure they are still working) I got hooked by the Kronos and I will definitely get one the moment it is shipped.

So I was just wondering what you guys use as monitors because I find that that is a very important part of the gears that is rarely addressed in the depth it deserves.

- Dan
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Near field monitors for Kronos Reply with quote

Dannyboy wrote:
Hi guys!

I would like to hear your suggestions for what you are going to use as speakers for your Kronos (and possibly other) workstation.

After a period in which I did not touch synths at all (I still have an M1 and a WS EX but I am not even sure they are still working) I got hooked by the Kronos and I will definitely get one the moment it is shipped.

So I was just wondering what you guys use as monitors because I find that that is a very important part of the gears that is rarely addressed in the depth it deserves.

- Dan

I don't think I should be the one to talk about this really.
I don't even use studio monitors, but I use Dali Concept 3 HiFi speakers. They work perfectly for my usage. Smile
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it really depends of your budget, but I personally like the Focal Twin 6 (Solo 6 can do the job for smaller room)... that's great speakers for mixing and they do have enough power and bass (with the sub) when producing...

They're quiet expensive but really worth it. For cheaper model (around $500), I'd go for some KRK or Genelec, or even the Yamaha HS Serie. They don't perfectly respect the specter and can be generous in medium-bass, but it's still worth the price, mainly for playing/producing.

Of course, in any case you should listen them before buying, it's all about personal taste also.

My 2 cents,
Phil
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I would buy a Kronos then I would keep my current monitors that I have been using for the M3. Wink

There is no such thing than the best studio monitor for the Kronos. It all depends on your personal taste and budget.
Well-known brands are Adam, Emes, ESI, Event, Focal, Fostex, Genelec, KRK, Mackie, M-Audio, RCF, Samson, Tannoy and Yamaha. KRKs are very popular in the lower price segment. Genelec, Adam and the Focal Solo speakers play in the higher league. You should also test the RCF Mytho and the Event Opal.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
Dannyboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no such thing than the best studio monitor for the Kronos. It all depends on your personal taste and budget.

Yep no doubt about that. Was only wondering what would be your suggestions for good NFMs for a price tag of around 1000 euro.

-Dan
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best price-value relation by far is IMHO offered by the Yamaha HS-80m. They have become quasi standard in their price segment for good reason. In your price range you could get a pair with the (relatively expensive) sub included.

If you can spend 1000€, you should also have a look at Genelecs, Adams and Mackies fitting your budget. This will not include a sub.
Lando

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:

So true. Price-qualitywise I think Genelec is great.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently upgraded my near-fields. After a lot of research I plumped for a pair of Adam A7X monitors. Very crisp sound and surpisingly good solid bass considering their size. I bought them primarily for tracking and mixing duties, which they excell at with their precise stereo imaging. They are very revealing near-fields allowing me to hear nuances (and equally to hear problems) in sounds and my mixes that I hadn't really noticed were their before.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have KRK RP5 and wish I had the VXT they do dsound better but the KRK rp5 sound very good. I will be adding a sub to it. Probably the KRK10s but not positive yet or I will buy a QSCK12 or Peavey Impulse 12D.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise a very important point - not just about which speakers, but about the playback environment within which you place the Kronos.

Regarding speakers, of course the answer is very best speakers and headphones that you can acquire - the Kronos has the fidelity to make that worthwhile. Issues such as it's uncompressed, quality samples, the low aliasing oscillators in the EXi's, the dynamic range possible through performance, superlative effects, awesome production capabilities (as a standalone unit) and stunning pianos all deserve the highest consideration in speaker purchase, placement and consideration of playback levels and so on.

For example, a major issue with how you perceive the Kronos w.r.t depth and breadth of sound is related to how much thought you place into the playback scenario you place it in. Of course by default we place our DAW within the best studio playback scenario; and in my opinion the Kronos deserves the same or you will not reap maximum benefit from it.

With the OASYS for example, I used it for it's Karma and Percussion samples on a job, where I assisted another composer (and former percussionist with the LSO and he adored the OASYS drums and percussion by the way). In his setup, he treated the playback of the OASYS with equal regard to the Protools session, and in this instance the OASYS live or recorded received a lot of care w.r.t playback. This clearly demonstrated to me the sheer depth of the instrument with regard to the quality and playability of its percussion samples.

Similarly, I recently completed a small job where I challenged myself to use only the OASYS for the entire job. I pushed the instrument to the absolute limit with many, many tracks (MIDI and Audio), full use of effects and so on and in that instance it's true capability and depth shone through, but again the overall sound was very dependent on a reasonable project-studio playback environment.

Finally, as you will know, for playing the pianos and electric pianos, consideration of playback volume, dynamic and frequency capability of the speakers or headphones are very important to getting the right feel for the piano sound.

Personally I use a range of quite good speakers - JBL 4412s, Genelec 1030A's and for headphones the HD600 and 650, all of which give a quite good studio monitoring capability. the Sennheiser headphones are particularly neutral, transparent and comfortable but of course there are many other excellent options.

I read a great piece of advice on another forum years ago which I've really taken on board whihc was - "look after sources and destinations". With the Kronos you've no doubt looked after the source fabulously; and with excellent speakers and headphones you'll take care of the destination of that sound. I have to say I can't comprehend why many do not see buying the very, very best headpones a top priority in particular because they just don't cost that much; yet the range of headphones quality is enormous.

Kevin.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Near field monitors for Kronos Reply with quote

Dannyboy wrote:

Hi Dan,

It's already discussed regarding OASYS, please use the search function of the forum for answer. For example here and in other threads. I recommend the Karma-Lab forum's OASYS section as well.

I agree with Kevin above. Especially for Kronos, buy the best you can afford. I use Genelec 1030A monitors and Shure SHR840 headphones with my OASYS and I am very satisfied.

Best regards,
Akos

PS. wrong link edited

Last edited by Akos Janca on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dannyboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For example here and in other threads.

Akos, is it me or the above is a link to the wrong topic?

In any case, after your suggestions and a search in the net (and reading several SOS reviews) I think that I have reduced my auditioning to four monitors:

Adam A7x
Mackie HR824 Mk2
Genelec 1030A
KRK VXT8

though the two last ones are a bit above my budget.

Any other suggestion?

------

Dan
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the KRKs IMHO will not survive a comparison with the excellent other three...
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt but we buy what we can afford at the time. After the kronos I will be lucky to have a pair of headphones! But I'll have my Kronos!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: