Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos what is the max Number of Polyphony notes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Lord wrote:
robinkle wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
robinkle wrote:
To get even more polyphony. Is it possible to disable the effects section and allow all engines to access processor power from both cores?

No. One core is strictly for sound generation, the other is strictly for FX processing.

You work for Korg?
It has been answered by dan and rich somewhere here at the forums

EDIT: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2723766-KORG-KRONOS&p=42082929&viewfull=1#post42082929

Dan answered the same thing here but don't remember which post it was
none have really answered my question. I can't find an answer to it. I know each core got it's duties, but I don't know if it is different in sequencer mode. Kronos runs an operation system that should be able to use multicore processors dynamically. Korg should allow you to choose to disable effects to get more polyphony.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
Jon Lord wrote:
robinkle wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
robinkle wrote:
To get even more polyphony. Is it possible to disable the effects section and allow all engines to access processor power from both cores?

No. One core is strictly for sound generation, the other is strictly for FX processing.

You work for Korg?

EDIT: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2723766-KORG-KRONOS&p=42082929&viewfull=1#post42082929

none have really answered my question. I can't find an answer to it. I know each core got it's duties, but I don't know if it is different in sequencer mode. Kronos runs an operation system that should be able to use multicore processors dynamically. Korg should allow you to choose to disable effects to get more polyphony.
I't seems that it's hardcoded that way. Afaik you can't run the soundengines on both cores, just the other one. I don't see a point why korg would do this on a workstation, and would require rewriting alot of code to get it done now i suppose

danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon is mostly correct, except that multiple cores are used for voices.

Here's an updated attempt at a pithy description of voice allocation and max number of voices:

A portion of the multicore processor in KRONOS is devoted to generating voices, and a separate portion is devoted to generating effects. KRONOS dynamically allocates the voice processing power between the engines as necessary. The quoted maximum numbers of voices apply when 100% of the voice processing power is devoted to a single engine.

In rare cases, when a large number of processor-intensive effects are active simultaneously (for instance, more than 14 O-Verbs), polyphony may be slightly reduced.

Hope this helps!

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
Jon Lord wrote:
robinkle wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
robinkle wrote:

You work for Korg?

Hi Rob,

All of the modes work the same way in this respect.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't reccommend completely getting rid of the effects. Korg does have some pretty high quality effects which are often an integral part of the sound - not really 'effects' as much as an extension to the synthesis chain, for example amp/drive simulation for specific guitar sounds, etc.

I don't think what you are asking is possible, although when you run many of the more 'hungry' effects, they do cut into the polyphony. It has already been confirmed that in normal operation the effects do not cut into polyphony at all, but for example with 12 or more 'O-Verb' effects loaded polyphony does start to drop.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - that Atom CPU inside uses hyper-threading, so that's "more cores", right? Smile
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Ah - that Atom CPU inside uses hyper-threading, so that's "more cores", right? Smile

Exactly.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figures. Thanks for the info, Dan!
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I wouldn't reccommend completely getting rid of the effects. Korg does have some pretty high quality effects which are often an integral part of the sound - not really 'effects' as much as an extension to the synthesis chain, for example amp/drive simulation for specific guitar sounds, etc.

I don't think what you are asking is possible, although when you run many of the more 'hungry' effects, they do cut into the polyphony. It has already been confirmed that in normal operation the effects do not cut into polyphony at all, but for example with 12 or more 'O-Verb' effects loaded polyphony does start to drop.

I know what you mean. But let's say you use 3 different synths within your daw, and each of them use their own effects. So let's say you use reverb on all of them. The result can be a pain for your ears. So instead of using reverb from each synth, you can get an effects plug-in to add identical reverb for all of them. In this case I wouldn't need to have effects on my synths, only on the effect plugin. In my opinion, the result is better this way. That's why I think it would be smart to disable effects on the Kronos to allow more polyphony. Maby I'm crazy or silly. But it makes sense to me.
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
robinkle wrote:
Jon Lord wrote:
robinkle wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
robinkle wrote:

You work for Korg?

Hi Rob,

Best regards,

Dan

For now, right?
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
robinkle wrote:
Jon Lord wrote:
robinkle wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
robinkle wrote:

You work for Korg?

Hi Rob,

Best regards,

Dan

For now, right?

I may not understand the question. I don't think we'd ever change it so that the modes behaved differently from one another.
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
robinkle wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
robinkle wrote:
Jon Lord wrote:
robinkle wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
robinkle wrote:

You work for Korg?

Hi Rob,

Best regards,

Dan

For now, right?

I may not understand the question. I don't think we'd ever change it so that the modes behaved differently from one another.

You understood correctly Sir.
Quote:
"I don't think"
So you're telling me there is a chance! Laughing
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:

Quote:
"I don't think"

The OASYS worked basically the way that you describe: voices and effects all drew from the same pool of processing power. In the rare cases when no effects were being used, this yielded more voices. However, in general a lot of effects are active, especially in multitimbral cases. These aren't just reverbs, as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, but often contribute substantially to the timbre. So, I don't see many cases in which I'd want to disable all of them.

Most seem to regard the KRONOS's difference here as a plus: effects usage almost never impacts polyphony. I understand your request, and I see that in some cases it might be useful, but I really don't think we'll be changing the way that this works.
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
robinkle wrote:

Quote:
"I don't think"

The OASYS worked basically the way that you describe: voices and effects all drew from the same pool of processing power. In the rare cases when no effects were being used, this yielded more voices. However, in general a lot of effects are active, especially in multitimbral cases. These aren't just reverbs, as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, but often contribute substantially to the timbre. So, I don't see many cases in which I'd want to disable all of them.

Most seem to regard the KRONOS's difference here as a plus: effects usage almost never impacts polyphony. I understand your request, and I see that in some cases it might be useful, but I really don't think we'll be changing the way that this works.

I got you Dan. I'm happy too about the changes Korg made to the Kronos. It makes the Kronos more predictable when it comes to polyphony. And it gives Kronos more polyphony then Oasys when using alot of effects. But there is 1 negative side, you might ending up using just half the processor power in some cases. I think both solutions are good, giving you the opportunity to choose would give you the best of both worlds in one keyboard. I know it won't be changed since you said that, but it can be a nice request for the future at least if not on the Kronos. I can live with it how it is now.

Edit: Typos (there might be more)
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
But there is 1 negative side, you might ending up using just half the processor power in some cases.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

A small note: effects use one core; voices use multiple cores. So, the amount reserved for effects is much less than half the processing power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: