Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPad & Kronos
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasys76

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: IPad & Kronos Reply with quote

Hi Dan and Jerry,

Is it possible that we can use the IPad as an remote for the Kronos?

Oasys76
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how would we do thatr?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ossible uses include:

- Editing the PC/MAC Kronos Editor display form the iPad while sitting at the Kronos

- Using iPad drum pads to play parts of a combi

- Using iPad-innovated controllers as new ways to play the Kronos

- Korg inspired iPad app to offer new types of control / editing / realtime performance (Karma could be revolutionised by iPad)

- use iMS20's two Kaoss Pads to control the Kronos

- Using iPad step sequencers / groove boxes as easy pattern/groove design interfaces and then importing into Stephen Kay's PC/MAC Karma Software (surely to come out for Kronos) to convert them into Generated Effects and loadable into the Kronos

- As a controller providing, say, faders for the Audio tracks while the Kronos is used for MIDI track faders.

...and then there's the likes of Air-Display for iPad which allows the iPad to act as a touch control PC / MAC monitor (and although it doesn't work too well right now), in the near future we could find that we're interacting with the likes of the MOD-7 and STR-1 synth engines through an iPad, essentially designing new sounds from a multitouch screen.

The possibilities are endless.
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
- Korg inspired iPad app to offer new types of control / editing / realtime performance (Karma could be revolutionised by iPad)

- use iMS20's two Kaoss Pads to control the Kronos

- Using iPad step sequencers / groove boxes as easy pattern/groove design interfaces and then importing into Stephen Kay's PC/MAC Karma Software (surely to come out for Kronos) to convert them into Generated Effects and loadable into the Kronos

That would be awesome, even I wish that Korg would apply some of those to the Kronos touch screen.
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to be able to edit Kronos from iPad via USB connection. From the videos I've seen, Kronos has not very good quality screen with poor viewing angles, iPad's screen would be much better (and it's also capacitive compared to resistive screen of Kronos, it just feels better when you touch it)
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megakazbek wrote:
It would be great to be able to edit Kronos from iPad via USB connection. From the videos I've seen, Kronos has not very good quality screen with poor viewing angles, iPad's screen would be much better (and it's also capacitive compared to resistive screen of Kronos, it just feels better when you touch it)

I don't think iPad or iPad 2 have USB connectors.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do this with camera connection kit and midi interface. But someone would have to write an editor.
dokido

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all done
there is a dock for ipad with usb and midi
(check out videos on youtube from namm2011 with ipad)
there is also a keyboard with midi
just plug in and play, ´no problems (well...)
just check out polychord, konkreet labs and m-audio and

I think line6 has a usb converter also
and the missing link of course, wireless radiowaves...

but of course a special program just for kronos would be wonderful
like spectratonics done
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dokido wrote:
its all done...

...but of course a special program just for kronos would be wonderful
like spectratonics done

... and Motif XF
sani

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have Korg to spend their energy and programming time for some other improvements on the keyboard instead of making what? An editor to edit the Kronos while sitting at the Kronos??? So, instead of operating the Kronos from its own screen one should hold an ipad connected to the Kronos and edit it?
Sorry, but that's IMHO a complete nonsense. How convenient would it be sitting at the Kronos while holding an ipad in your hands, than putting it away to play the Kronos and hear the results?
It would be better than if Korg would implement those functions directly into the Kronos so that all users can access those new functions.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The Kronos display is almost the size of an iPad anyway. And this is coming from an iPad user Shocked

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
ozy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sani wrote:
I'd rather have Korg to spend their energy and programming time for some other improvements on the keyboard instead of

Why? You are the usual curmudgeon and sceptic.

Imagine how nice: you are away from home and if somebody else turns on the Kronos, you get an email alert on your iPad!

And you can sinc it with payment alerts on your credit card.

or: you connect directly your kronos to Twitter, and each time you edit a program, the whole planet shares it!

or: you are on vacation, sample two drunkards in a mexican cafe harassing your fiancee, load it into your kronos, and reply them with a karmafied stuttering parody of their rancid insults. Ha! That's a snappy reto-to-to-to-tort!

or: no latency makes you uneasy because you are accustomed to VSTs? you can drive the Kronos from a ipad, so that you enjoy the delay when networks are busy!

or: or: you find the kronos' keyboard to be a little bit too similar to a real three-dimensional physical interface? No problem: download Fatar's 88-keys applet.

Finally:

and remember: if you want to make music with your ipad,

forget using software, buy a 50 pounds hardware synth with 88 weighted keys, THEN use just its software capabilities.

A nice shortcut indeed.

NEXT release from Korg, for ipad addicts:

an all-thumbs version of the 73 keyboard.

in the picture below: me and my wife interfacing a moog modular with a cordless phone and a "senior-people-optimized tv remote control"

its vintage sound can be more easily achieved of course by an ipad interfaced with a kronos thru a video camera.

But you lose the cable channels!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRONOS does already have a touchscreen - I don't really see the need for another.

some of the ideas offered here do sound cool though, but I don't see it happening personally.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I think line6 has a usb converter also

The Line6 interface is good, but the way the developers have to give info to Line6 is not. The camera connection kit is the way to go.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sani wrote:
I'd rather have Korg to spend their energy and programming time for some other improvements on the keyboard instead of making what? An editor to edit the Kronos while sitting at the Kronos??? So, instead of operating the Kronos from its own screen one should hold an ipad connected to the Kronos and edit it?
Sorry, but that's IMHO a complete nonsense. How convenient would it be sitting at the Kronos while holding an ipad in your hands, than putting it away to play the Kronos and hear the results?
It would be better than if Korg would implement those functions directly into the Kronos so that all users can access those new functions.

The difference is immense. The current Kronos screen is for selection only, NOT for altering values or interacting with the synth engines. For sound editing and realtime performance you need to use the realtime controllers - awesome for realtime performance but not for sound design – it’s still 90’s level interaction – touch the screen to select the object and use the fader/dial/numeric keypad to change the value. This is simply dreadful for sound design, especially for MOD-7 and STR-1 in particular. For example, designing new FM sounds on the SY77 & 99 is faster than on the Kronos. Yes the Kronos has a superior screen for selection and is more programmable, but MOD-7 is so complicated that currently virtually nobody who owns it programs it on the OASYS, and I do not expect that to change with Kronos. The learning curve is very steep; and the user interactivity is very complicated - a large part of the reason why very few will bother to delve into those synths in depth.

But - an iPad app could change all that. It could allow for multitouch selection - and FAR quicker and more flexible selection across multiple pages – and with multitouch graphic editing. That’s very, very different for complicated synth engines. So it could transform what is an incredible arduous process into something that is a joy.

This has already been demonstrated by Korg - I own the MS20 PC/Mac version, the OASYS with MS20EX and the iMS20 for the iPad. The iMS20 blows the others out of the water w.r.t editing. It is faster, more natural and furthermore - you can actually even repatch the modular patchbays live and during a performance - it's freaky. Play Kaoss Pads with some fingers on both hands while also repatching the synth with, say, the fourth finger on your right hand during an actual performance. This could also be done on the MOD-7 patch panel if accessible via an iPad. It's fundamentally better for editing, sound design and performance and in some ways goes even beyond real hardware capabilities; and indeed merges editing with live performance (and remember it can all be recorded as MIDI) in a way that the Kronos will not offer - and it's fast, instantaneous and very musical.

Believe me - an iPad interactive option to any of the existing digital offerings from workstations to the likes of NI/ Spectrasonics or even notation editing is a vastly superior and fundamentally new way of working. And we're only scratching the surface (excuse the pun) as to what this technology will offer in the coming years - mark my words.

This is not the time to be wearing you critical/skeptical cap (good attributes usually) and I accept that many are sick of hearing 'iPad this and iPad that' as if you're not 'in' unless you have an iPad - but listen from a quite slow adopter here - this stuff is jaw-dropping good. Korg are leading the way with huge style and flair here. This technology is maturing and being handed to us on a plate - you need to seriously check it out. While nothing is earmarked publically for release on iPad related to Kronos, the merger of these two technologies would be very, very worthwhile. I only hope Korg or some other 3rd party take it up - I'll by those apps in a heart beat.

Kevin.
WWW: www.knect.ie

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: