Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPad & Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the accelerometer is an interesting idea. I don't like on-screen keys but I would like to try the iPad2.

However, it doesn't seem to be sensitive enough yet, there was no big difference between "soft" and "hard" sounds in the demo. Or it's just that guy.

The "smart" guitar is... OK, it's a unique idea but... brrr... Hey, the acoustic guitar is OUT OF TUNE! Very Happy

Still, really amazing.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 8-audiotrack DAW for $4.99 is amazing for that feature alone. (iPad 2 not included).

I haven't been much of an Apple fan over the years, and the iPod touch 3G is still the only Apple product I own, but the iPad 2 looks phenomenal. I passed on the iPad1 and iPhone for various reasons. The refinements of this redesign have convinced me that the iPad 2 is worth the purchase. There's just so many different music apps already out there that make the hardware cost a relatively insignificant factor overall.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
My weak spot so far is the CX3: the preview demo sounds are a real disppointment to my ears, after hearing the latest Nord B3 Clones.

Having owned the last model CX3 and the Nord Electro 3, I'd suggest waiting until you actually play it to make a judgment. I think the CX3 is the better sounding organ (or at least the ballsier one)... and it is far more tweakable, so if there is some characteristic you'd like to alter, you probably can.

As for the preview demos, within the limits of just a few seconds, I thought this one sounded pretty nice, at about 15 minutes in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbfBIzFpR4
darkgoob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I am still using a Korg X2 and I control the MS-20 plug in over my laptop from a wireless MIDI keyboard controller (Alesis Photon X25 with M-Audio MidAir Wireless MIDI setup). Now, I would like a way to eliminate my laptop from out of the setup. Can I control the MS-20 patch of the Kronos over MIDI... while playing a DIFFERENT patch on the actual keyboard of the Kronos? Like, an orchestral strings, say?

As for the iPad discussion. Look it's simple. I can throw two portable amps on my belt, and dance and prance around with an iPad leading some young ladies for a journey through the woods. Or come in on the MS-20 around the campfire when everybody else has their fiddles and guitars and crap. Plus with full-screen control apps like BeBot or the MS-20 then multiple people can play at once. I can dance into a crowd of drunk people and they all grease up my iPad with their drunk hands turning the MS-20 knobs while I play it. Or vice versa. So you can call it a toy; I call it "the only way to do those things I just listed above."

So the Kronos has knobs you turn and a touch screen. Sliders you move that move things on the touch screen. Well, if you had an iPad that just docks into the keyboard itself, where the screen is, then you just move the sliders right on the iPad, don't have to have physical sliders anymore. Or, use those physical ones for something else.

I think physical sliders and knobs are good things, but only if they're big enough and smooth enough. Full-size 100mm faders with super-smooth action like the big mixing boards? Hell yes. Anything less? You'll hear the difference in the music. Nice big fat high resolution smooth knobs? Great. Little crappy ones? Ew. I have not personally seen the Kronos up close but from some things I've read, it's a step down from the OASYS in this department. Of course, that's also why it's not $10,000 USD.

But here we see this is why I just still use a Korg X2 and a MacBook Pro for all my VIs. We must admit the Kronos is just some kind of computer built into a keyboard. It probably runs on Linux or similar, and runs what are basically the same exact VI's ("synthesis engines") that Korg sells for as VST/AUs. Plus some bonus content. But I think the main point here is that the iPad's user interface surpasses anything possible on the Kronos's touch-screen. You move the physical faders, not the ones on the screen, even though it's a touch-screen.

It's still a really badass keyboard. But to me "the game" is controlling VIs on my laptop from my keyboards. Nothing is a game-changer until it gets rid of the laptop out of my setup. And I think the previous poster brought up iPad because iPad is like Derrick Rose. iPad is most certainly a game-changer because it eliminates the laptop AND the keyboard, or at least, the laptop. It also eliminates a lot of the need for physical sliders, buttons, etc.

Except my dream keyboard would have two or three iPads... be wearable and wireless... weigh less than 15 pounds all inclusive... and have at least 5 hours of battery life on a lithium ion (screw AA's!!!!).

But back to reality... my X2 is pretty darn heavy for gigging. I'm not sure of its weight. But I like the sounds. The 73-key Kronos is a heavy beast at 45 lbs. Heavy is good to a point, but I have a bad back, and so I'd like it if the keyboard was no more than 20 lbs. I don't understand why it has to be 45 lbs.

Oh maybe I can also add: is there something in the Kronos that makes it better than using Korg VIs off a laptop? Will its MS-20 sound any different? I'm just curious. Because it doesn't seem like there should be a difference, unless the Kronos had actual analog circuitry in it that is producing the sound in a more faithful, warmer way.

Just my spewings forth...
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
My weak spot so far is the CX3: the preview demo sounds are a real disppointment to my ears, after hearing the latest Nord B3 Clones.

Having owned the last model CX3 and the Nord Electro 3, I'd suggest waiting until you actually play it to make a judgment. I think the CX3 is the better sounding organ (or at least the ballsier one)... and it is far more tweakable, so if there is some characteristic you'd like to alter, you probably can.

As for the preview demos, within the limits of just a few seconds, I thought this one sounded pretty nice, at about 15 minutes in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbfBIzFpR4

I haven't heard the latest Nord B3 clones. What I know that the CX-3 in OASYS is excellent and very enjoyable (and organ sounds created by other engines are also very usable). This should be the same in Kronos. The free EXi Expansion Sounds set from Korg contains sounds programmed by Mr. John Novello himself! Cool Please read his opinion about OASYS and B3 sounds.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkgoob wrote:
As for the iPad discussion. Look it's simple. I can throw two portable amps on my belt, and dance and prance around with an iPad leading some young ladies for a journey through the woods. Or come in on the MS-20 around the campfire when everybody else has their fiddles and guitars and crap.

Hi, it seems you have totally different needs. Kronos is a professional instrument for keyboard players in a band, studio and on stage. You got lost here I guess.
dokido

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkgoob I think its possible to control more than just one patch from ipad, but Im not shure, wireless midi is nice

akos, there is a lot of good music programs to ipad from the last year, much better then garageband, or should I say more creative, it can only be better I hope, and its not a toy
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Akos,

sorry to anwer to something offtopic within this thread, but this is interesting for me.

First of all: I know that I can't really judge the CX3 before I actually played it. Anyway demos give something like a first impression, and what I heard so far did not fully convince me.

Most B3 clones do relatively well in the middle range wit slow Leslie.
The critical points are IMHO:

- sound in the high ranges: a real B3 really shines here, sounding smooth and silky up to yelling in a very ear-pleasant way. Most clones have problems here, some more, some less.

- vibrato scanner: many clone vibratos have problems catching the fat, rich original B3 vibrato, no matter how much tweaking they allow. Brian Auger for example (who plays without Leslie, but with fat Vibrato and distorted) always missed this from clones, and after futile efforts to use them, returned to a real B3 mainly for that reason

- overdrive: it is easy to get some hoarse digital distortion, but it is much more demanding to get a smooth tube overdrive reacting well to playing dynamics, like in an original Leslie

- Leslie: it does not help so much if you can tweak anything from microphone range to speed variations, if the basic sound (fat tube sound from a certain kind of speaker cabinet) and room impression (the way the Leslie effect is generated) don't come close to the orginal.

My first impression of the CX3 from demos (! not more, so I will wait and see/hear) is, that it shows some weaknesses in all four areas, like all clones do more or less, but for my ears the Clavias less than the others.

From talk with others, especially keyboarders playing more organ than I do, I know that they got a similar first impression from the demos. That proves nothing; it just shows me that I am not the only one with this critical notion.

And to put things into proportion: I still think that the CX3 is a fine B3 clone, and I'm glad the Kronos has somtehing like that on board. I just think it would be fine, if it did a little better than perceived so far in the key areas named above. Just my personal impression.

Of course I know that all better clones (Nord, Roland VK, Hammond, Voce V5+ etc.) are used by some great keyboarders. Besides John Novello, Alan Pasqua also toured with a (hardware) CX3 on his Alan Holdsworth tour, playing Rhodes on a Nord Elektro, but using the organ from the CX (many organ players prefer real drawbars, from any clone, to the Nord interface).
But even on this tour, while the Nord Rhodes sounded just great, I found the CX3 sound underwhelming.

Just my personal impression and taste, and no intention to attack.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dokido wrote:
akos, there is a lot of good music programs to ipad from the last year, much better then garageband, or should I say more creative, it can only be better I hope, and its not a toy

Yes, I like it, too. I've got an iPhone, my wife's got an iPad. I'm gonna buy iPad2. (Actually, I already used Bebot for a solo on stage, see this old video at 4:27.)

But I prefer OASYS/Kronos.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

Most B3 clones do relatively well in the middle range wit slow Leslie.
The critical points are IMHO:

- sound in the high ranges: a real B3 really shines here, sounding smooth and silky up to yelling in a very ear-pleasant way. Most clones have problems here, some more, some less.

- vibrato scanner: many clone vibratos have problems catching the fat, rich original B3 vibrato, no matter how much tweaking they allow. Brian Auger for example (who plays without Leslie, but with fat Vibrato and distorted) always missed this from clones, and after futile efforts to use them, returned to a real B3 mainly for that reason

- overdrive: it is easy to get some hoarse digital distortion, but it is much more demanding to get a smooth tube overdrive reacting well to playing dynamics, like in an original Leslie

- Leslie: it does not help so much if you can tweak anything from microphone range to speed variations, if the basic sound (fat tube sound from a certain kind of speaker cabinet) and room impression (the way the Leslie effect is generated) don't come close to the orginal.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for that important information. (That's why I like this forum, for example.)

Unfortunately, I don't have the real thing at home. I have to settle for Wink CX-3 in OASYS - that is a usable solution for me. But, of course, I wish I could buy and gig with a Steinway, a B3, a Rhodes, a D6, a CP80...

Best regards,
Akos
dokido

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
dokido wrote:

Yes, I like it, too. I've got an iPhone, my wife's got an iPad. I'm gonna buy iPad2. (Actually, I already used Bebot for a solo on stage, see this old video at 4:27.)

But I prefer OASYS/Kronos.

ahh, nice to see Smile , wish I had some videos on my band also, but people just lost them... Well I have not bought ipad either but Im waiting for the ipad2, I think. I'm curious about the reactible and koonkret apps.
rkuli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: iPad & Motif Reply with quote

rrricky rrrecordo wrote:
dokido wrote:
its all done...

...but of course a special program just for kronos would be wonderful
like spectratonics done

... and Motif XF

http://www.yamahasynth.com/jp/library/motif_xf/ipad/soon.html

This does seem pretty slick and could perhaps mitigate some of the concerns regarding touch sensitivity and angle that's been posted elsewhere.

RK
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkgoob wrote:

Oh maybe I can also add: is there something in the Kronos that makes it better than using Korg VIs off a laptop? Will its MS-20 sound any different? I'm just curious. Because it doesn't seem like there should be a difference, unless the Kronos had actual analog circuitry in it that is producing the sound in a more faithful, warmer way.

There are many improvements to the KRONOS MS-20EX and PolysixEX, in comparison to the Legacy software. See the OASYS manuals for details (and the KRONOS manuals when they're available!).

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread. Forgive me if this has been shared already.
In regards to controlling the editor for PC/Mac from an iPad, you can easily do this wirelessly and with multitouch capability using a simple program like SplashTop Remote http://www.splashtop.com/remote .
Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
StudioOne Pro | Spectrasonics Omnisphere | Trilian
Cinematic Guitars | EZ Drummer | Steve Slate Drums
Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344

Last edited by Michael Blue on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the period and the link will work.

http://www.splashtop.com/remote
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: