Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about using external midi controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan88z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Question about using external midi controller Reply with quote

I'm seriously looking at the Kronos, and have a basic question that I couldn't find an answer to in browsing thru the posts.

Say I want to play the CX3 engine from the Kronos keyboard, and trigger the piano or EP engine from another keyboard, both at the same time. I'm guessing this would require some kind of combi to accomplish, with the midi receive channel for the piano sound in the combi set to match the external controller.

Is it possible to have the sliders act as the drawbars in this type of situation? I read somewhere that in combi mode you have to specifically tell Kronos what function the sliders perform, is this an extensive editing process or is it a simple selection to tell Kronos to have the sliders act like drawbars for the CX3?

Can different synth engines be assigned to different outputs? For example, if I wanted to use a Leslie speaker or Ventilator pedal on the CX3, can you assign that engine to always run out of a particular output, in a global manner, or is it something that'd have to be done on a patch or combi case per case basis?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an OASYS or M3 at the moment so I'm just pulling this info from the OASYS manuals.

In COMBI mode the control panel (sliders, knobs, switches) can be called upon control a variety of things. What you're looking for is TONE ADJUST.

Using Tone Adjust, you can make detailed edits to Programs within the context of the Combi. These edits will not affect the original Program, or any other Combis which use the Program. To edit a Program with Tone Adjust:
1. Press the TONE ADJUST button under CONTROL ASSIGN. The button’s LED will light up.
2. Go to the Control Surface tab of the Play page. This page mirrors the Control Surface. It’s very useful with Tone Adjust, since it shows you the parameter assignments, exact values, and so on.
3. Select the Timbre whose parameters you’d like to adjust. This corresponds to the Timbre selected in TIMBRE/TRACK mode. You can set this using the Timbre parameter on the right side of the LCD, or by holding down the TONE ADJUST button and pressing any of the Control Panel switches. The top row selects Timbres 1-8, and the bottom row selects Timbres 9-16.
4. Edit the controls as desired.

On page 232 of the OASYS Parameter Guide you can see the default TONE ADJUST layout for the CX3. Each engine has it's own default layout.

All of this is a very complete explanation of something that's very simple. Hit the TONE ADJUST button (hit TONE ADJUST + NUMBER button if you need to) and start moving faders, buttons, knobs. If you have the layout memorized for the CX3, for example, you don't need to go to step 2 above.

The OASYS manuals can be found here:
https://www.korguser.net/oasys/download/#manuals

I believe the outputs will have to be set at the COMBI/PROGRAM level, but don't know for a fact.

Busch.
midinut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I'm hearing you correctly, I can MIDI up a 88-note weighted controller (i.e. Studiologic VMK-188+ or M-Audio Oxygen 8Cool to a 61-Note Kronos and using a combi, I can program an acoustic paino patch (with maybe layered pad or strings) to route to the lower controller and still play lead lines or a second part on the upper manual Kronos. Is this correct? The weighted controller makes more sense for the piano/electric piano patches. I still prefer non-weighted for organ, clav, and synth sounds.

If so, that makes a much cheaper option IMO than getting a weighted 88 Kronos and adding an upper level controller for the non-weighted patches.

I feel certian that Karma and drum grooves could still be utilized by the upper Kronos as well. Just thinking out loud.

As it stands at present, I have a Korg M3-73 for my lower tier board and a Yamaha Motif ES6 as my upper board. I really miss the weighted keys for piano and electric piano work though.
dan88z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's exactly what I'm asking midinut- I want to use my S90ES as a weighed controller, and layer Kronos pianos/eps with other Kronos sounds along with S90ES sounds.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How it works guys is pretty straightforward.

For example, you have a Kronos 61 on top and its global MIDI channel is set to #1. You have a weighted action controller on the bottom that is set to send on MIDI channel #2. Any program(s) within the combi that is/are set to the global MIDI channel will sound when you press keys on the Kronos. Any program(s) set to MIDI channel #2 will respond when you play the weighted action controller.

Busch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: