Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos first hand impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slight over-reaction Dan

I have never said that the OASYS is nothing less than amazing. I don't miss the EXf because frankly, I don't know what it would do and I seem to be managing quite well without it.

But I didn't promise it's delivery - Korg did. That's a matter of historical fact (as is the function button) and got absolutely nothing to do with when I bought my O. I believe I am able to discuss material facts whether they were relevant to me or not. Korg promised EXf to new O purchasers. I don't think I was let down because I didn't purchase mine new. But surely I can point to a fact that shows that new buyers were let down by Korg?

I do use the O for what it is now. It is a joy - without the EXf and without whatever the function button might have done.

I note again, as I have done previously, your corrections re updates which indeed were varied and many.

I don't think we need to endlessly debate this - can we please conclude!

Yes, there were updates for the OASYS. Absolutely.
Yes, there were promises not kept by Korg Inc for NEW O buyers. Absolutely.
Yes, Korg completely denied the heritage of the Kronos by not once mentioning the OASYS in the launch material/demos. Absolutely *
Yes, the O is the best machine on the planet. Absolutely.
Yes, the kronos will be fab. Is it simply an OASYS with extras? Absolutely. **

* Which is continued here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJEmxgCFng Rich states "we recreated the Polysix for the Kronos" - really? What is it that's in the OASYS then? The Poly 4.5?

** Proved here http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59896&start=57 One of many examples where you refer prospective Kronos buyers to the OASYS manuals. Not much point doing that it if they're not almost identical (I appreciate electronically/hardware they are far from identical - proved by the price).

Last edited by cello on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Unless of course they happened to call the instrument 'Open' and categorically state there would be updates/upgrades. Care for an EXf anyone?And they actually build a button (paying for the hardware and it's installation) and state in the manual that it is for future functionality.

THIS IS NEVER GONNA END!

AAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, ozy - am disappointed in you; I thought you liked discussing facts Wink

I thought I'd been very good - haven't mentioned the O/K thing for at least a month!

But really - even I'm getting tired of it. It's not important. The O is the O and the K is the K.

Korg is in it to make money - nothing new there.

So live and let live - let Korg make their money from the K and I'll keep making music from my O.
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for the Oasys owners. I had no idea they were given such a raw deal by Korg. That Korg has been able to release a similar/better board for much less money within 5 years is not surprising considering the advanced technology of the Oasys. That Korg hasn't provided better support for such an expensive and elite board as the Oasys is disappointing to hear, however.

I've never owned a Korg product in my life. I'm very excited about the Kronos and very anxious to play one to see if it is everything I hear about and hope it is.

I've owned a Motif for 10 years and Yamaha has been very good with customer service/relations. But I've never been a brand loyalist and only want the best keyboard to suit my needs.

I will purchase the Kronos with an attitude of "It is what it is" and hope I won't have much need for assistance from Korg beyond my purchase.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
A slight over-reaction Dan

I read my message again, and I'm hard pressed to find an over-reaction in it; read it again and let me know.

I merely pointed out (by quoting you) that you bought the OASYS after it was discontinued, and clearly stated at the time that you didn't care and were buying it for what it did out of the box.

You mention the function button again, a couple of times. I've answered questions about this before, such as:

"The FUNCTION button is also used internally; it cost little to keep there, and we thought it might possibly be useful later for other things."

We never had any specific intent for the FUNCTION button. That's why it's described as "reserved for future use," a term so common that there's an acronym for it ("RFU"). There was a block of buttons, and we ended up with one extra, and thought it might come in handy at some point so we left it there. Having worked on hardware in which we really could have *used* an extra button, it seemed like a good idea.

cello wrote:
I don't think we need to endlessly debate this - can we please conclude!

Sure, let's conclude.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Sure, let's conclude.

Great - thank you! I undertake not to post similarly again.

At this moment in time I care more about maintaining this forum as a learning resource - god knows I need it because the O is a complex beast!

On a final note (no pun intended), thank you for everything you and others did to make the O possible.
Mutter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok My take on Oasys value and korg-----I am a oasys owner and i always have been happy with it. And I bought it new when it first came out. And yes, OASYS was very expensive and I was excited about the idea of open architecture and future upgrades which in the beginning we got several installments of upgrades. And I will admit I was sad that OASYS was discontinued. Although I understood nothing could go on forever. However, now I feel we have been made whole.

OASYS initial price was not any higher than some of the vintage instruments when they were new, if their price was adjusted for inflation. However, with my mindset, the inital cost of OASYS is irrelevent, because we were happy to pay for it. NOW, keep in mind that the expansion instruments, some were $249 a piece and the KRONOS now has 2 more expansions than the OASYS, therefore if I can sell my OASYS for 90% (or 80%) of what a KRONOS costs I feel I have been made whole because the extra performance and sound engines that KRONOS has.

So in this way open architecture continues. Now I know this may be controversial, but there is more to KRONOS than the 2 extra engines, as well as different key board options but looking at this, I still think right now the OASYS can possibly be sold for the cost of a KRONOS and that really isn't a bad deal if that is what you want to do. Also I think the 76 key OASYS will carry a higher value becuase its keyboard type is not replicated in the new model.

To me, the Korg KRONOS could mean all promises delivered... Cool
JimH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos first hand impressions Reply with quote

Dannyboy wrote:
The grands are excellent: both the German (probably an Hamburg Steenway) and the Japanese (probably a Kaway).

Hmm, I was assuming the Japanese Grand would be a Yamahee. Any particular reason you thought it was a Kaway? Or it just sounded like one to you?

(Them Steenways are great, too.)
Dannyboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmm, I was assuming the Japanese Grand would be a Yamahee. Any particular reason you thought it was a Kaway? Or it just sounded like one to you?

It sounded to me like a Kaway, did not ask to Mirabella though. Maybe someone at KORG (Dan, Rich?) can confirm this?

-----
Dan
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannyboy wrote:
Quote:

It sounded to me like a Kaway, did not ask to Mirabella though. Maybe someone at KORG (Dan, Rich?) can confirm this?

-----
Dan

The hints are in the sound names:

Japanese C
German D

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Penumbra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:

I thought I'd been very good - haven't mentioned the O/K thing for at least a month!

But really - even I'm getting tired of it. It's not important. The O is the O and the K is the K.

So live and let live - let Korg make their money from the K and I'll keep making music from my O.

ozy is an arrogant useless twat. He's from Milan, and this is enough for me.
And no Dan, we don't conclude this, because you've lied together with you entire team (Japan and USA) to your loyal customers. Next time learn to don't disappoint people making promises you can't keep. 8000 euros wasted, thanks Korg. And thanks also for never mentioning the Oasys in the video demos, afterall it's ONLY thanks to the Oasys if the Kronos exist today, so why mention it? I'm really disappointed and angry. You're just another bunch of greedy bastards just good to invite "sheep face" and company to fill their already filled bank account. Congratulations Korg. And I'll stop there. And ozy you can go to hell, you're the most useless human being I've ever met in a forum, an arrogant useless piece of s**t. You can go to hell, literally.
Dannyboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone do something about people behaving like spoiled kids offending other people just for the sake of it and posting always OT?

Thanks.

-------
Daniele

[Edited my signature not to be confused with Danatkorg]
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannyboy wrote:

Japanese C - that'd be Yamaha C5 or C7.
German D - that'd be Hamburg Steinway D4.

And it's Kawai, not Kaway. Rolling Eyes
Dannyboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And it's Kawai, not Kaway

Sue me. Wink
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penumbra wrote:
cello wrote:

ozy is an arrogant useless twat. He's from Milan, and this is enough for me.
And no Dan, we don't conclude this, because you've lied together with you entire team (Japan and USA) to your loyal customers. Next time learn to don't disappoint people making promises you can't keep. 8000 euros wasted, thanks Korg. And thanks also for never mentioning the Oasys in the video demos, afterall it's ONLY thanks to the Oasys if the Kronos exist today, so why mention it? I'm really disappointed and angry. You're just another bunch of greedy bastards just good to invite "sheep face" and company to fill their already filled bank account. Congratulations Korg. And I'll stop there. And ozy you can go to hell, you're the most useless human being I've ever met in a forum, an arrogant useless piece of s**t. You can go to hell, literally.

Penumbra, I don't want to make light of your anger, but I'm curious to understand how you arrive at the conclusion that you've wasted 8000 Euros? I mean, have you gotten every last bit of mileage out of your Oasys?

If the promise you're referring to was an EXi that I've read about here (which I otherwise have zero knowledge of) is the non-delivery of that EXi really making your entire investment no longer worth it? Or is it the fact that the O was discontinued outright? If that's the case, think about the 10's of thousands of people all over the world who keep the vintage synth market alive. That's because they value the sound and the untapped resources of keyboards that are as many as 50 years old by now. So surely there must be some musical or creative value in your Oasys that transcends the fact that it was discontinued.

If a piece of gear physically exists in your studio, can be turned on, and produces sound, it's not "discontinued". Maybe "unsupported", but not "discontinued". And if it's not broken, it doesn't really need to be supported, yes?

Hey, just sayin.

At the time you bought your Oasys you were buying a very exclusive piece of gear. It was pricey and that meant that only a select few people would be able to afford it. I mean, at 8 grand I don't think it was ever meant for mass market. There was then, and still is, tremendous opportunity to create amazing sounds with your Oasys. So I guess I just don't understand your anger. And just to be clear, I'm not taking you to task on this. I just don't understand it, that's all.

What I would take you to task on is your crack about being from Milan, but I have better things to do. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: