Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combining programs/effects in a combi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Combining programs/effects in a combi Reply with quote

I currently own some Korg (latest is Korg M50) which has 16 combinations and 5 insert effects (and 2 master/1 total effect).

When I combine programs I copy a program to a combi and then select the effects I need by copying the most important to possibly free effect spaces, which is not always possible. Then I reroute the program in the combi to the just copied effects if it has changed place (i.e. one of the 5 insert effect places).

When there are 12 insert effects this problem will only be higher, i.e. of course it is better possible than before to copy more insert effects, but it will be quite a job to do this.

I was wondering what is the easiest way to do this. In an ideal world, it would be nice if the Kronos would ask to copy necessary effects automatically to free insert slots and reroute the program to copy. Then by copying the most important programs first, the effect slots will be filled until they are filled up. The least important programs will not copy their effects, so they can be rerouted manually. I haven't thought in detail about copying master/total effects since those are not increased in number.

Another way would be a very smart copying mechanism that tries to reuse existing effects in the combi when a program is copied. When an effect is more or less already in the combi the program reuses the existing effect, otherwise it is copied. But I guess this is hard to decide for the Kronos. Maybe manually the effects to be copied could be selected when the Kronos then copies the selected insert effects to free slots. Also master/total effects should be selectable to be copied to insert effects (and maybe to master/total effects too).

... or am I asking too much? Smile

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RichF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos (and OASYS) fulfill the first part of your "ideal world" scenario. Smile

When you use the "Copy From Program" sound from within a Combi or Sequence, there's a check box that says "IFX- All Used." If you select this, it will copy the effects from the selected Program, append them to the effects that are already in the Combi/Sequence, and automatically route the selected Program to the right slot.

For example, let's say you have an empty sequence, and you copy a bass Program, with all three of its insert effects, onto track #1. Now IFX1, IFX2, and IFX3 are occupied.

Next, you use "Copy From Program" to copy a piano Program with two insert effects onto track #2, and you check the "IFX- All Used" box. The two new insert effects were in the IFX1 and IFX2 slots in Program mode, but now, they're automatically placed in the next available slots in the Sequence- IFX4 and IFX5. The timbre is automatically routed to IFX4, with all chaining intact.

Hope this helps.
-Rich
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the information ... this is more than expected, it will save a lot of time. Smile

I was thinking about writing a software application for the Kronos eventually but then I can skip this part. Some other nice to haves:
- Checking which combinations use a specified program (quite simple and also requested as a builtin function I think)
- And since setlists are available now: Having a list of programs/combis that are used by all or a group of setlists. Easy for gig set list printing but also to check what program/combi slots can be overwritten safely.
- Difficult: synchronizing settings over multiple combis. I tend to reuse a lot of combis, i.e. using an organ sound in 10 different combis. When I want to change the effect of this organ (e.g. one of the insert effects), I need to change them all. It would be nice to have a sort of 'synchronization' option. However this will need intelligence about the parameters. I don't know if Korg will make a bit of the contents public about PCG files.
- Easy generation of combis: lots of sounds I use consists of multiple programs. It would be nice to copy a brass (e.g. consisting of 6 programs), a string (conssisting of 3 programs) with just a few mouse clicks to a combination where all programs are copied including effects.

Note: it's not that I expect this to be inside the Korg, but I was wondering if others also would have thought about such functionality.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: