Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take it or leave it
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Take it or leave it Reply with quote

Frankly, I'm always having a good laugh when certain kinds of discussion arise close after the announcement of something new. It alwasy happens. And it always happens for nothing.
- "Kronos II"
- "Kronos Extreme"
- 43 more fantasy EXis in the making?
- highly complicated/ultra-long/ultra-personal gear discussions (of the kind: can I get my JV1080 bamboo flute sound, or my PC3 master keyboard xy functionality 1:1 within the Kronos? Or should I rather pile up my Emu/Yammi/etc. racks right besides the Kronos while using one PC3 and two Yamaha S90Exs as master keyboards? Etc.)

A German poet (Wilhelm Busch) once said "a wish, soon as it is fulfilled, instantly gets children". And much of of what I read in this context, in length and depth, comes very close to Monty Pythons "Meaning of Life" meanwhile. Laughing

To me, the Kronos itself is "Extreme" enough for the moment to learn to use it and get the best for my purposes out of it in the first place, after opting for it. And all that talk about Yamaha or Roland or Kurzweil, claiming that "the empire will strike back!", and how mighty, mitghty, migthy (add "kicking a**", "melting brains", "leaving the world speechless" etc. to your liking) that probably will be, is just cheap Mickeymouse talk in my ears.

Instruments develop in cycles, and sometimes there are clear winners leaving the rest behind for a while (Minimoog, Polysix, Juno 60, Yamaha DX7, Korg M1 etc.). I'm sure the Kronos belongs to this category, and it will probably last many months, before anyone catches up with anything comparable.

So I think the decision is easy in the end:
- take it or leave it. Simple as that: YOUR decision at a certain point in time!
Buy it and actually play it. Or do something else: connect 9 modules to your PC3, or wait for Yamahas response next year, or drink a cup of tea - whatsoever. Just don't push the Kronos to boring-talk-death, before it has even been possible to make music with it for some months.

One more thing:
some of you don't neccessarily have to tell us EACH REASON EACH DAY for coming to one conclusion or the other, or tell us ALL possible future upgrades of a Kronos in your mind, or report ALL eventual changes of your mind, even if you got acquainted to the feeling, that this forum should be your living room, and everyone is hanging on your lips to receive the "futile thought-feeling of the day" first hand. Wink
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the instructions, Dad
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, son! Very Happy
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"a wish, soon as it is fulfilled, instantly gets children"

Jim, I think your wish for this thread might bear quite the progeny! I wish you the best (sincerely) in coping with the crying and whining of (potentially) so many newborns.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Peter: I've never been especially anxious Cool
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one thing to say

maybe two

Cop holder! What good is a Kronos without a cup holder ph and a remote for my boob tube! Wink Wink Laughing Laughing

Jim I always think of those threads as anxiety threads. People who really want a change for the sake of change or people just so excited they really need some discussion around their new dream, reminds me a lot of my 4 and 5 year old children when they know they will be getting something and have to start dreaming about what it might be able to do.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
reminds me a lot of my 4 and 5 year old children when they know they will be getting something and have to start dreaming about what it might be able to do.

and you finally deliver it...

... and you forget batteries! Rolling Eyes
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I get where you're coming from that it looks OTT to be talking about the next version of the instrument even before the current one materialises, never the less there are legitimate reasons to have those discussions - including because it's plain fun - but more importantly because you can be fairly confident that Korg will take on board useful pointers and suggestions (they did for the M3 and OASYS - perhaps even partly contributing to the origin of Kronos!!); and the earlier they read such suggestions the more chance there is they can react towards implementing them, whether specific features or broader design approach.

Also, Kronos is unique in synthesizer history in having an existing user base (the OASYS users) before it appears, so there are lots of OASYS features set on appearing in Kronos so there's real experience in some of the comments. This might also help new Kronos owners know what to expect and make legitimate suggestions towards future improvements.

And even though there have been forensic level discussions on Kronos and on what it can and can't do - I also think that's very useful because it helps people make more informed purchasing decisions, set their expectations correctly and so on. I remember when I got the OASYS, being a little taken aback because AL-1 was not a Screen/GUI controlled synth in the same sense as, say, Arturia Jupiter8V or CS80V. Rather the screen is used for exquisite organisation of the synth architecture, superlative information and graphical relay and of course for page and parameter selection which are hugely adventageous; but not for manipulating controls - you still need the physical controls for that. So my expectations were wrong on that front; but now I'm completely OK with it. I think those sorts of false expectations won’t happen for those buying the Kronos who have visited this forum – every detail of the instrument has been analysed to death already. Smile

And – sure - isn’t this what forums are all about??

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read every Kronos thread, obviously, because being so new to synth and midi I can learn something from every thread no matter how silly it may seem.What is basic to one person can be an intellectual leap for another. Money is very tight now and any expenditure is worried over, pondered, fretted about, etc.. So maybe not all thread are like innocent children, some maybe, but with a large purchase people get skittish and need to really think things through. I think some of these threads may be that happening also. I know a few of the questions I asked where.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My perspective when reading these threads...

When a company announces a new product, and it's not delivering yet, potential buyers think they can influence the final tweaks prior to release. "Oh, it's not done yet, maybe they can add my most desirable feature".

I agree with some of the posts here. It's gonna be a great product just the way it's currently designed. It's better than anything I own in its category. No keyboard on earth (or mars) can be EVERYTHING for EVERYONE.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
dan88z

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think asking questions about how it will function with other gear are off topic at all. I started one of those topics, about controlling a Kronos from an external keyboard, and if and how that can be done is going to be a crucial factor in me purchasing one. I want to know this up front, if it can't do what I need then I won't spend time on it and move on.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan88z wrote:
I don't think asking questions about how it will function with other gear are off topic at all. I started one of those topics, about controlling a Kronos from an external keyboard, and if and how that can be done is going to be a crucial factor in me purchasing one. I want to know this up front, if it can't do what I need then I won't spend time on it and move on.

amen
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your point is well taken Jim, but I think you're too serious.

Speculating what the successor of KRONOS will be like is just chit-chat, and people like to indulge in this kind of harmless entertainment.
Like the multi-page speculation thread about what KRONOS would be: totally useless in practical terms, but nevertheless it was an entertaining way to indulge in a guessing game.

Furthermore, the criteria for buying a new workstation varies from person to person, so you're always going to see posts with inquiries which may be completely unimportant and irrelevant to you, but which nevertheless are important to others.

Simply skip over threads that do not interest you, that's what I always do. Smile
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree to the above post ... the developers are already finished with the design and features of the Kronos.

However, it's always good to request or at least mention new features wanted. The Korg marketeers will also read this and if something is interesting they will add it (if it is general, if they can make money and/or if many people would benefit from it).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget the free Accounts to http://www.WatchMyFriendsSisterScrewOnTheKronos.com
and maybe an Account to http://www.IamBoredTheHellOPutaMeINeedVazelin.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: