Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take it or leave it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got ya! Thanks! I'm going to google and see if I can find the referenced vids on youtube so I can get a better idea of it all. I have been tossed up on the 61 or 88 key bed so we will se where this leads me.

Just curious but does the 61 respond faster?
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that depends entirely on your technique and your touch. Surely, non-weighted keys have less mass and less physical impedance and therefore they may enable certain players the ability to play faster than on non-weighted keys. But if you consider that both jazz and classical pianists can often play blazingly fast on real pianos then surely speed is not an inherent issue with "weighted actions". And at that, some piano actions are notoriously stiff but it doesn't seem to hold many players back from playing fluently or rapidly.

I think the feel of a keyboard is purely a personal choice based, as I said, on technique and touch. It's not the kind of thing that you can get an internet recommendation as to whether or not weighted/non-weighted is good or bad.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not simply a matter of personal taste when there's a physical limitation of key up response. THAT'S what's killing me on the RH3.

You'll never see a jazz pianist play like Jerry Lee Lewis. The RH3 keybed vs. a real grand piano weighted keybed are not similar at all. I would sarcastically equate the RH3 to playing a grand piano if it was submerged in oatmeal. It's noticeably sluggish.

So now lets quit talking about piano playing and move on to organ playing.

Do you think a jazz organist could play their fast runs and up/down palm smears on the RH3 keybed? Not a chance in hell. You'll never see this on an RH3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZ_PYg8XRU

Now when it comes to fast synth leads, same problem.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
zahush76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only "way out" for me, maybe, is if i get a 73 kronos and midi it to my polyevolver keyboard. Great semi-weighted action.
Problem is that the PEK isn't exactly a dedicated midi controller. That might work for live gigs from time to time.
But it's gonna be a problem bringing two boards to rehersals instead of one. That part is what makes my nord stage compact so comfortable.

Also, it would prevent my polyevolver from being a dedicated synth. If i'd want to play organ with my left hand and a synth solo with my right - that would be very limited on one 61 key board.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, because of the key combinations, none of the three offerings work for me. I can't justify buying any of those just to control it with a mediocre keyboard controller.

I'm really hoping that when sales slow down they give additional consideration to a 76 (or sigh... 73) key semi-weighted version. And if nothing else, release a module only (remember the Komponent system?!?)

-sigh-

sad day indeed...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be some kind of economic reasoning behind the present key versions (like having to get rid of M3 RH3 keybeds or the like).

Else, the decision to offer only a 61 version with synth action makes no real sense. There are too many people out therewho want synth action, but with more than 61 keys, that they would miss a lot of potential buyers in the long run IMHO.

I guess that they will start as announced, and after they have sold enough RH3 keybeds for whatever reason, they might offer a new synth action alternative to reach more potential buyers.

Remember one thing though: on all major workstations, the middle version which we 73/76 players prefer by far, is sold much less than the 61 and the 88.
ozy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
There must be some kind of economic reasoning behind the present key versions

Yes: Danatkorg said it:

the 76 keys versions of previous synths didn't sell.

I'm a 76-semiweighted (heavily semiweight) fan, but it's a fact, like ditching the racks because they don't sell anymore.

let's face it: computers created a big market for non-players [as in: "he can't play with two hands at the same time"], who focus on some specific kinds of music,

and this killed

* masterkeyboards (including synth keyboards which can be played with two hands, like the 76)
* racks

"Piano" players are still an important segment of the market,

the remaining people play on 25 or at most 49 keys.

Be grateful that the kronos 61 has 61 keys.

according to market strategies, it should probably have 49
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is where I live it will be a miracle to find an RH3 key bed to try, so I have to rely on others opinions and take it from there. I am considering it because I thought it would respond quickly. I was considering the 88 because I was hoping to learn to play with both hands much better then I can now. I can go with the 61 and find a used grand around here for 1-2K. I don't mind old pianos! I prefer them! Truth is the little phatty keeps calling me and with the 61 it would give me plenty of keys to work both hands!

Now on the other hand I fix things for a living, big small, electronic electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic etc.. I can't help but wonder if I couldn't mod the RH3 to respond the way I want. There in lies the eternal problem with some one who loves to tweak gear!

edit to add, for every less then stellar review I find a good one. Here is an excerpt from one example and this naturally is what makes ti so hard to decide, yes i know I need to play one but to do so I need to find one!

"I suspect you’re probably wanting to know how the LP350 sounds and feels. In general: pretty good. The RH3 hammer action key-bed is employed to great effect and provides a subtle gradient of weight from the heavy low keys to lighter high ones. Rapid, repeated strikes are registered flawlessly to the best of my ability to test. This is my first encounter with Korg’s RH3 bed, and I must say that I’m impressed, though coming from an un-weighted or semi-weighted keyboard background I’m unable to accurately comment on the accuracy of its emulation."

I am afraid in the end it will be a leap of faith!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went another time to the Music Store Cologne to have a thorough test of Korg keybeds.

The RH3 hammer action is ok. It is neither sluggish nor especially fast retriggering. But it has a nice velocity response (a bit easier in the high ranges).
I prefer it to the synth action keybed of the M3 (identical to Kronos 61, as far as I know). The latter offers some resistance and does not feel too cheap, but it also does not feel as clear defined as my nice Access Virus TI keybed.

Both keybeds are well playable, though not what I would call brllant, so you don't have to worry to run into major problems either way.

I opt for the RH, at the price of lacking fast synth action, because I feel I get significantly better dynamic playing control with multi-velocity instruments with it, not only concerning pianos, epianos and natural instruments, but also velocity sensitive synth sounds. The downside in this case are certain organ playing techniques hardly possible with the RH3 keybed.

Last edited by jimknopf on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, even KORG proves that the RH3 is best for piano but crap for true organ playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbXsxAeOctg
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
It's not simply a matter of personal taste when there's a physical limitation of key up response.

Well, I've played both the 61 and 88 note versions and had no problem with either. So like I said, it's all a matter of taste and technique. Best suggestion I can make: try them out for yourself. Wink
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one answer for me. 88 key Kronos and Nord C2 organ and a Little Phatty just because I love it. I guess I'll have to get a second job or find some rich old ladies who want to see a pot bellied, balding 45 year old strip! Wink Laughing Laughing
ozy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
some rich old ladies who want to see a pot bellied, balding 45 year old strip!

well, you coul find just ONE, VERY VERY VERY rich,

and blind.

And a fast car waiting outside.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic. My brother's Japanese wife, who is a classically trained pianist, preferred the RH3 keybed over all the other keyboards at Guitar Center, even some nice dedicated electronic pianos. I'm intending to get the K-88 and keeping my M3-73 to drive it, because I like the 73 note keybed very much. Interestingly, so does she.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note: I tried Billy Joel's Angry Young Man (see this video at 1:16) on OASYS88. The RH2 keys are definitely NOT fast enough for that. (Not even for this slower version.)

The mentioned Brian Auger lick could be played on RH2, but first it's difficult and tiring for the unpracticed hand.

Both of them are quite "extreme" examples anyway - at least for me. I haven't tried them on RH3 - but as an RH2 player I also enjoyed the SV-1 very much. McHale, if the RH3 is not suitable for you, then I think you could solve the problem with an external controller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: