Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Popular Songs" for demos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: "Popular Songs" for demos? Reply with quote

just wondering why popular songs are never used as demos, is it against copywrite laws, i've heard plenty of classics used as demos, but never popular songs, I'd like to hear songs like "my best freind" by Queen for ep's, or like " final countdown" , for analog and lead sounds just for examples, listening to songs i've never heard before doesn't help me judge how accurate the sounds are.
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Popular Songs" for demos? Reply with quote

jemkeys25 wrote:
just wondering why popular songs are never used as demos, is it against copywrite laws, i've heard plenty of classics used as demos, but never popular songs, I'd like to hear songs like "my best freind" by Queen for ep's, or like " final countdown" , for analog and lead sounds just for examples, listening to songs i've never heard before doesn't help me judge how accurate the sounds are.

It's exactly due to copyright, if they used it, royalties would be due to the copyright owner... though sometimes you'll hear a demo that is reminiscent of a popular song, just with a few chords changed,
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ol' Phil unabashedly uses a Michael Jackson tune as he presents Motlf XF's new iPad apps in his NAMM presentation.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing a song live is a whole different ball o' wax from having a song included in a for-sale unit. If a published song (like the ones you mentioned) would be included in a for-sale unit, at that point we're talking about publishing and copyright issues and royalty payments. And then there's the notion that many people would scoff at those kinds of demos because there's no way they'd EVER sound like the original. Finally, considering the huge range of eras, styles, and other aspects of musical tastes that would have to represented to target each potential buyer would be unfeasible/untenable.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want the songs added to the keyboard, just someone to play a demo using sounds inspired by different popular songs.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought you were talking about built-in demos. You're talking about like an online video demo? If so, even then there might be a publishing issue to contend with, because a company would be using a song to promote sales of a commercial product. The song would essentially become a music track for an advertisement and that would require, at the very least, a license to use it in that capacity; and most likely that license wouldn't be free. In fact, depending on the group, it could be extremely costly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: