Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I played a Kronos!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
massca

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: I played a Kronos! Reply with quote

Yesterday I assisted a demonstration of Kronos by Raffaele Mirabella of Korg Italy in Cherubini music store in Rome, Italy. Mirabella is very nice and he did a wonderful long presentation. He played a lot of programs and combis, I really appreciated the sonic arsenal of Kronos.

Unfortunately the speakers attached to Kronos were quite cheap, but also with them it was possible to listen well all the parts of a combi/song.
I also had the possibility to play a little the Kronos with my reference headphone and personally taste the quality of sounds. It was a 61 keys model (serial number #15), the same tested by Ozy and Dannyboy.

Cabinet/control surface: externally it looks like a modern version of M1. I liked it, with the exception of plastic sides. The surface controls woks well but their quality could be better, they are really far from Oasys quality. The keybed is very good, I hope it will be same on mass production units.

Display: in my personal opinion the resolution of display is too high for its size. It is difficult to read and in some case also to operate, ie make a selection. The reading angle is not optimal if you are seat, or at least if you are not very tall like me. Display is the weakest part of Kronos.

SGX-1 Acoustic/EP-1 electric pianos: these are the best sounds of Kronos! Really beautiful, expressive and with an incredible dynamic. I can buy a Kronos only for them. User interface is very well done.

CX-3 Tonewheel Organ: I don’t know if it is the best on the market but I liked its sound and how you can control it from surface controls.

STR-1 Plucked String Synthesizer: I listened a very good clavinet, an incredible harpsichord, and some very interesting futuristic sounds.
MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer: It seems to have a lot of synthesis power and it can do wonderful sounds far beyond DX7.

MS-20EX/PolysixEX: Very characteristic and with a very nice user interface.

AL-1 Analog Synthesizer: It sounds reach, aggressive and also warm. It is not my Andromeda but I liked it very much.

HD-1 High Definition Synthesizer: it is very powerful and there are lots of sounds. It covers almost everything. Samples sounds quality goes from wonderful, like some drumkits, to normal. I had also a quick look to the Brass and when I played them they seems not exceptional, but I’m not a good player and rarely play brasses. When I asked to Mirabella to test brasses everything changed, he did really beautiful and good sounding demos of various presets.

Karma: I liked it very much and for me is one main reason to buy a Kronos. It is sad that to have Karma 3.0 you must have a Motif, and buy the PC software from Karmalab. I hope it will included in an upgrade of Kronos OS.

Availability/Estimated prices: In Italy should be available in June. List prices will be announced at Musikmesse and should be about: 61 keys € 3.300; 73 keys € 3.600, 88 keys € 3.900. Keep in mind that these prices are only indicative.

-massimo
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: I played a Kronos! Reply with quote

massca wrote:
Yesterday I assisted a demonstration of Kronos by Raffaele Mirabella of Korg Italy in Cherubini music store in Rome, Italy. Mirabella is very nice and he did a wonderful long presentation. He played a lot of programs and combis, I really appreciated the sonic arsenal of Kronos.

Unfortunately the speakers attached to Kronos were quite cheap, but also with them it was possible to listen well all the parts of a combi/song.

I never understand music stores which sell keyboards which are attached to crappy monitors. Crazy. In fact most stores that I deal with have only one audio cable running out from each keyboard, so of course any stereo program really sounds bad. I guess they really don't care about making a good impression. Korg should bring their own monitors and amp along with the Kronos, and not be so much at the mercy of what the store has to offer for audio. (I've read other posts about Kronos demos on less-than-capable monitors).
massca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. In an ideal world the demonstrator should be carry also a very good pair of monitors and place them in a good position in the hall. Unfortunately, as often happens when you play live, you have to use the PA available in the venue, and often is less than ideal.

When I want do a serious test of a keybord I bring with me my headphone, to be shure that the sound it not influenced by external factors.

In this case I'm shure that Kronos souds well also with a cheap PA. This is not true for other keyboards Wink
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I played a Kronos! Reply with quote

massca wrote:

Display: in my personal opinion the resolution of display is too high for its size. It is difficult to read and in some case also to operate, ie make a selection. The reading angle is not optimal if you are seat, or at least if you are not very tall like me. Display is the weakest part of Kronos.

Is there a contrast or other display adjustment? If so, did you have a chance to tweak it?
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: I played a Kronos! Reply with quote

KapnKrunch wrote:
massca wrote:

Is there a contrast or other display adjustment? If so, did you have a chance to tweak it?

Contrast adjustment is accessible through a menu in Global mode.
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: I played a Kronos! Reply with quote

Citizen Klaus wrote:
KapnKrunch wrote:
massca wrote:

Contrast adjustment is accessible through a menu in Global mode.

Interesting. Given this, I would suspect the display was simply mis-adjusted for massca, and it's not really a problem per se.
gjvti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This was the first thing I thought after I had a problem with my M3 display (got it replaced) - there won't ever be a touchscreen good enough for everyone and since devices like Kronos are built around PC platform I can not understand what is the problem adding second VGA|DVI|LVDS port + USB for external touchscreen - these are available many different sizes an some also with multitouch support. Would such second display port add more than 50-100$ to retail price?
massca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KapnKrunch:
The Kronos I tested was under a strong fluorescent light, for shure it wasn't the ideal illumination. Probably with the right illumination and with a personal calibration it will be more easy to read.
But for me screen fonts are so little that are difficult to read. I'm mid age, probably a young guy with perfect sight will not have any problem.
I think that if Korg kept the same resolution of the Oasys (640x480) display will be more readable for me.
You have to try personally. I'll do the same when Kronos will be available in the store.

gjvti:
Adding a touch display out could a solution for someone. Not for me because I have little space in my studio.
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: I played a Kronos! Reply with quote

KapnKrunch wrote:
massca wrote:

Interesting. Given this, I would suspect the display was simply mis-adjusted for massca, and it's not really a problem per se.

well, it's the third review in 15 days, all from Italy, and all of us noticed the same issue

either the demonstrator knew that, had the time of adjusting, and didn't want to (shame)

or we have a problem there.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massimo (Ozy, Dannyboy) thank you for the detailed report.

Optimistic point of view: they wanted to prove that Kronos is still usable well in average circumstances - weak speakers, fluorescent light, uncalibrated screen. Wink Smile

Seriously, the weak speakers are just ridiculous. Especially in this rare situation - when there is a very short time, months before shipping, to hear and personally try this unique instrument. I can't believe Korg or the stores cannot bring the best available PA system there, a Meyer Sound for example, to demonstrate Kronos live. (It reminds me one of the first OASYS demos in Frankfurt - Steve McNally was superb! - where the projector screen literally obstructed the sound coming from the speakers to a part of the audience… Shocked I just don't understand these shameful situations.)

Somebody should try the contrast settings to optimize the display view for sitting. (But I really believe/hope this shouldn't be a problem with a Korg.)

Maybe the display resolution is for the younger. Smile (OASYS users are mostly a little bit older people with enough experience, delicate taste, higher demands and of course money to be able to buy such an instrument.) And the problem mustn't be high resolution itself, on the contrary, it's good, because the graphic elements will appear smoother. The problem can be the real size of elements - regardless of the resolution. Important: can we read the texts, can we touch the buttons/areas, can we operate the instrument easily?

As an OASYS user I want to try and compare Kronos personally - I hope we will have the chance like in Italy. I mean A to B comparison, side by side. With good monitors and headphones in a calm room at least for one hour. Regardless of the specs I want to hear it with my ears, play it with my hands. Only then I will be able to decide which is better for me. (Maybe there are other reasons of the lower price?)

Certainly, for anybody else Kronos will be the best workstation from now on. Nothing compares to it.

Last edited by Akos Janca on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
Optimistic point of view: they wanted to prove that Kronos is still usable well in average circumstances - weak speakers, fluorescent light, uncalibrated screen. Wink Smile

right.

They could have machine-gunned two inches above our heads, though.

For more realistic on-the-field testing, you know...

I missed that, as well as the warm-up push-ups.

[you forgot mentioning that in one Italian demo, the keyboard stand crumbled and the demonstrator showed that you can grab the falling kronos with your hands before it crashes, and still not need wrist surgery Shocked If that was PREPARED, Korg IS the Spectre Laughing ]

Akos Janca wrote:
Maybe the display resolution is for the younger. Smile

don't ever mention that again Evil or Very Mad

I need "reading glasses" for finding the "main out" fader on the mixer... Shocked Rolling Eyes Confused

Next stop: diapers.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
...in one Italian demo, the keyboard stand crumbled and the demonstrator showed that you can grab the falling kronos with your hands before it crashes, and still not need wrist surgery Shocked

Shocked
Although, it may happen to all of us... Good news that the Kronos is not so heavy.

ozy wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:
Maybe the display resolution is for the younger. Smile

don't ever mention that again Evil or Very Mad

I need "reading glasses" for finding the "main out" fader on the mixer... Shocked Rolling Eyes Confused

Sounds sad first, but don't worry. Some others simply can't see at all, still play great music, Stevie Wonder, for example.

(Have you seen Nick Vujicic? Google him.)
ozy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
(Have you seen Nick Vujicic? Google him.)

I did.

is he BLIND?!? Shocked
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(If you've seen him, you know. He is not blind. On the contrary, he SEES better than many others.)

Lesson for us: to find the solutions, the way of happiness, also in "worse" circumstances.

You know, the "half-full glass" thinking. It's hard I know.

You can't see the master level slider well enough? Not the best news but you still CAN see, you HAVE a master level slider, and you HAVE time and gear to play music, and you HAVE motivation, inspiration etc.

And certainly you HAVE glasses - no real problem then.

Back to topic: If Kronos screen elements are too small - for you or for me - then we HAVE a problem. Solution for us: trying to use a stylus, a pencil, or finally using another instrument. I wouldn't kill myself for that... Wink

If many people will complain or dislike the screen, Korg still can redesign the GUI.
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:

If many people will complain or dislike the screen, Korg still can redesign the GUI.

Indeed. Perhaps a future feature like some DAW plugins offer that give you some control over font sizes, for example.

I'm not holding my breath though, and I'm polishing my reading glasses Shocked in the meantime. GUI re-design like this can be a significant undertaking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: