Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New sound demos available!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: New sound demos available! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

We just posted a bunch of new audio demos on korg.com/kronos. Just click on the "Hear Kronos" button to check them out. They're played by the master himself, Jack Hotop. Smile

They're streaming MP3 files, but we also included downloadable 24-bit .WAV files that are direct from the Kronos.

Expect a couple more demos (SGX-1) coming up in the next few days.

Hope you enjoy them!

-Rich
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich

Thanks for the Demo's, are these played live without multitrack recordings...i mean is it just karma/drums, the natural combi itself nothing external?

Some of these combi's are magnificent if its just drumtrack or karma or both. All example instruments were excellent.

So we can play these in the stock combi's ready to go?

Regards
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:

Thanks for the Demo's, are these played live without multitrack recordings...i mean is it just karma/drums, the natural combi itself nothing external?

Some of these combi's are magnificent if its just drumtrack or karma or both. All example instruments were excellent.

At the top of the demos it indicates the process used. Mostly recorded live, with a bit of adjustments on some of the tracks.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. I'm not waiting any longer.. I'm getting on a flight today and flying there to pick mine up NOW.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
RichF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
Hi Rich

Regards
Billy

That's correct, each sound (Program or Combi) is played as it exists in Kronos. As I mentioned above the demos, in some cases reverb, preamp, and limiter settings were modified.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's A LOT I like in these demos.

Besides some very nice sounds it's the overall sound quality which is really outstanding for my ears. I also liked the fretless sample in one of the demos, the acoustic and steal strings guitars, some of the VA sounds etc.

Allow me few(!) critical remarks:
- the CX3 is ok, but hardly more in my ears. Full drawbars, high ranges, and Leslie sound quite artificial to me and lack too much of the sound quality of a real B3. Software clones like NI B4 and VB3 or Hardware clones like those from Clavia, followed by Hammond, sound considerably closer to me.

EPianos:
I'm glad I could hear the "George Duke" patch in high quality. It clearly shows what I like and what I dislike about the Kronos EP-modelling: on one hand, the sound is crystal clear, has a very good sustain and high dynamics. On the other hand, it does not sound like ANY real Rhodes in the high ranges. It has a highly unnatural thin tine sound with an overproportinal bell character of the powerless music box kind.
The orginal George Duke sound, which is the basis for this sound, is a custom Rhodes with hard rubber hammer tips up to the upper ranges (instead of the conventional ones), which George has used for many years. But while his bell tone sounds hard, brillant and agressive, the Kronos Duke Rhodes just sounds like the mentioned thin music box tines.

This doesn't really cause a headache on my side, because my impression from other Kronos Rhodes examples is that you can also get a more natural sounding "real Rhodes" sound from this extension. But it is certainly not sounding good anytime anyway.

Similar with the "McComb reed" Epiano: no bad sound, but no Wurlitzer in the world sounds like that: it's an artificial Pseudo-Wurly sound.

I'm a bit over-sensitive concerning EPiano sounds, so don't take the criticism more serious than I do. I'm quite confident to get fine EP-sounds from this expansion, it's just that some of the presets don't really convince me. And whenever I miss a certain "real" EP sound, I can still use regular samples.

Despite this criticism in detail I'm higly impressed by the overall Kronos sound and patch qualilty as far as I heard it, and I encourage Korg staff to provide more of that kind: we all enjoy that during waiting time!
Thank you very much!
Unicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New sound demos available! Reply with quote

RichF wrote:
Hi everyone,

We just posted a bunch of new audio demos on korg.com/kronos. Just click on the "Hear Kronos" button to check them out. They're played by the master himself, Jack Hotop. Smile

They're streaming MP3 files, but we also included downloadable 24-bit .WAV files that are direct from the Kronos.

Expect a couple more demos (SGX-1) coming up in the next few days.

Hope you enjoy them!

-Rich

Great demos, thanks for posting them. HD1 sounds good in the mix. I can probably live with that happily. For exclusive acc based on arrangements I will use my VIs. Wish that could be supported by your disk streaming engine so that I could get rid of my laptop except for the mixing process. Any possibility of that now/ in the future?
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the demos...
Sounds good to me, except for the Guitars I'm not really convinced.

For the rest, it's all good Smile

Phil
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The low end is incredible. I love the sound! The Polysix never sounded so good!

Thanks

Aron
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200A in the Mccomb demo kinda gets buried; it would be nice to hear it as a solo instrument. I have two Wurlie 206As (the 206A is a 200A built into a spinet console with speakers, designed for the 70s classroom music lab market). The demo I hear doesn't have the thwonk or sparkle of either of them, but these elements may be masked in the mix. Pretty good nonetheless.

I like the George Duke Rhodes. I don't own a Rhodes so can't speak to its authenticity, and again the mix gets in the way for me, but it's a sound that I like.

The STR guitar - well, ya just gotta start with an open EADGBE strum, now dontcha... almost any sound evokes a guitar with this "chord". The model seems very responsive, but the player in this demo whacks the model pretty hard throughout, and ends up putting out some strident, harsh tones that I cannot associate with any acoustic guitar I've played. Still, there are moments where I hear some nice tones at lower velocities. The perfect pitch bends in the intro though scream "fakin' a guitar sound here!!!"... ease off on the whammy wheel, caress the keys and you may have something! I hear great potential in this patch.

Did I miss the solo acoustic grand pianos and their natural dynamic range?

Much more to come, no doubt...
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
The low end is incredible. I love the sound! The Polysix never sounded so good!

Thanks

Aron

Maybe back in the day you didn't hear a PolySix through a good sound system, (which was pretty much typical for the clubs I played in the 80s). Both the PolySix and her rival Juno 60 each had / still have a wicked solid bottom end. You may have better speakers now than you did in the 80s... I do Very Happy

But yes, PolySix still sounds great, and having more polyphony than the original six voices makes it so much sweeter
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points!
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course in the demo we also hear some things that the original PolySix was unable to accomplish - multitimbrality, autopanning, ambience unlike that which the original PolySix exuded. Still awesome though, I like it a lot Very Happy
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Rich - with regards to Jack, of course - for the demos.

My favourites are the "VCF Circuits", "Vocal Wash" and "Sunset Split" but I think they all give good foretaste of the sonic possibilities and show the outstanding quality very well. I agree in some points with Jim and Ricky above (regarding the difficulties of imitating real instruments) - but the Kronos engines, the sounds, the effects, the magic of KARMA are all there truly shining in these live demos. It's a fantastic instrument.

So far I think I can achieve very similar results with my OASYS. (Especially if I buy the great MOD-7 and LAC-1 - but I won't until I try Kronos.) I'm waiting for the mentioned SGX-1 demos.

My advice is for listeners: download the WAV files. It worths it.

Question: In OASYS I can bounce 16-bit 48 kHz WAVs. The Kronos demos are 24-bit but 44.1 kHz. There is no 48 kHz bouncing in Kronos?

Last edited by Akos Janca on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: