Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Few thoughts - welcome your thoughts/opinion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V-Synth GT will be replaced (for sure). However, even if the release date hasn't be fixed yet and could be subject to change, it shouldn't be announced before end of this year...

The Musikmesse new product won't replace the V-Synth GT or the Fantom Series that will stay to the catalogue.

Phil
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg speaks truth. A Motif with loads more acoustic samples and articulations is very neat. A Fantom with more ARX synth boards would be cool. But without some superb ARX boards, neither the Fantom nor Motif are real attention grabbers. Anything Kurzweil makes is a little better, because VAST is such a powerful synth engine, it has just been tweaked over the past 20 some odd years, and so complicated only geeks like me can wrangle with it. But still, the PC3 is mostly a K2600 with more polyphony, some improved rom samples and a very few VA features.

KRONOS is on a high plateau above them all. As a few have said, we really owe it to KORG to push the affordable workstation market in a big way. The others will have to respond, which means benefits for all of us.

There are a few exciting offerings in the synth world besides KRONOS. Sonic Core (formerly Creamware) offers the marvelous, if expensive, SCOPE XITE system, and is threatening to release Solaris, a Scope under the control of a five octave keyboard, featuring modeled oscillators and filters from various vintage synths, and is essentially a programmable modular.

Spectrasonics mad scientist Eric Persing produces the Omnisphere softsynth/sample player with an insane number of sometimes bizarre instruments to play with.

Arturia offers the fantastic V series soft instruments, such as the Moog Modular V and Prophet V which includes the epic and hard to find Prophet VS. They also produce the Origin hardware tabletop and keyboard synth, which I own, and am an enthusiastic user of.

The Waldorf Blofeld is very cool too, taking the PPG Wave concept into the 21st century with modeled filters and nice effects for a sound which is hard to duplicate. For purists, they also have the PPG Wave 3 softsynth, as well as the massive Q+ Phoenix, with 16 actual analog lowpass filters.

Everyone and their grandma knows about the Access Viris, so I'll throw in the KORG Radias, which I also own, and is a very underrated, very powerful VA synth with excellent sound and massive programmability on the order of a modular.

I'm hoping that Roland has the sense to produce a massively beefed up JD-990 in a keyboard loaded with features and surface controls, perhaps a JD-2000 synthesizer. That would excite me a great deal too.

So at least for me, I have a lot to be excited about. The other three major synth makers surely have enough sense to come up with something interesting. Despite what Kevin Nolan insists, I'd say there are still some talented engineers at Yamaha, and there are plenty of bright engineers with musical insight in Japan they could hire if need be. As EXer says, I suspect a Yamaha EX-5 II in some form is coming, and that would be exciting too. As I posted before, a good Fantom partnered with something like a JD-2000 would do just fine.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
Hedegaard wrote:
SpIdErWeB wrote:
Let's just say I know it from very good source... (however don't get too excited, remember Roland used the Juno's name for the Juno-G, and it wasn't really a "new Juno"). That's really all I can say...

Please, link or it didn't happen man.

LOL, believe me or not, I don't care, I have nothing to prove...

Wait until April 6th and you'll see by yourself who was right...

Well, I hope you're right and the concept of the "JD-2000" wouldn't be out of place for my interest field either.

But a marriage of the V-synth and Fantom would be quite great.
The Fantom incidentally figured out ages-and-ages ago the smooth-sound-transition thing, so Korg have been a little slow on the uptake on that one.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info, I haven't mention anything about any potential JD-2000 which is, with the VSynth-Fantom Hybrid, another great rumor that would be cool if it ever happens... (I haven't heard anything from reliable source thought)

Jupiter name is floating in the air, however Roland showed it could re-use the Juno name for keyboards such Juno-G, which are actually far from the original Juno keyboard... So, I wouldn't be too excited.

Roland introduced the GAIA the last year for MusikMesse, and there's still room in the catalogue between the GAIA and VSynth-GT (that shouldn't be replaced before the end of this year or later).

That's all I can say, with the fact it won't have sequencer and it still sounds good (at least from my source ears).
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
Greg speaks truth. A Motif with loads more acoustic samples and articulations is very neat. A Fantom with more ARX synth boards would be cool. But without some superb ARX boards, neither the Fantom nor Motif are real attention grabbers. Anything Kurzweil makes is a little better, because VAST is such a powerful synth engine, it has just been tweaked over the past 20 some odd years, and so complicated only geeks like me can wrangle with it. But still, the PC3 is mostly a K2600 with more polyphony, some improved rom samples and a very few VA features.

KRONOS is on a high plateau above them all. As a few have said, we really owe it to KORG to push the affordable workstation market in a big way. The others will have to respond, which means benefits for all of us.

There are a few exciting offerings in the synth world besides KRONOS. Sonic Core (formerly Creamware) offers the marvelous, if expensive, SCOPE XITE system, and is threatening to release Solaris, a Scope under the control of a five octave keyboard, featuring modeled oscillators and filters from various vintage synths, and is essentially a programmable modular.

Spectrasonics mad scientist Eric Persing produces the Omnisphere softsynth/sample player with an insane number of sometimes bizarre instruments to play with.

Arturia offers the fantastic V series soft instruments, such as the Moog Modular V and Prophet V which includes the epic and hard to find Prophet VS. They also produce the Origin hardware tabletop and keyboard synth, which I own, and am an enthusiastic user of.

The Waldorf Blofeld is very cool too, taking the PPG Wave concept into the 21st century with modeled filters and nice effects for a sound which is hard to duplicate. For purists, they also have the PPG Wave 3 softsynth, as well as the massive Q+ Phoenix, with 16 actual analog lowpass filters.

Everyone and their grandma knows about the Access Viris, so I'll throw in the KORG Radias, which I also own, and is a very underrated, very powerful VA synth with excellent sound and massive programmability on the order of a modular.

I'm hoping that Roland has the sense to produce a massively beefed up JD-990 in a keyboard loaded with features and surface controls, perhaps a JD-2000 synthesizer. That would excite me a great deal too.

So at least for me, I have a lot to be excited about. The other three major synth makers surely have enough sense to come up with something interesting. Despite what Kevin Nolan insists, I'd say there are still some talented engineers at Yamaha, and there are plenty of bright engineers with musical insight in Japan they could hire if need be. As EXer says, I suspect a Yamaha EX-5 II in some form is coming, and that would be exciting too. As I posted before, a good Fantom partnered with something like a JD-2000 would do just fine.

thats an excellent list & summary.

Another challenge the Big 3 have is that ( I read this somewhere) it takes 2 years from initial design to production mode for a new w/s model.

2 years is a huge amount of time in this day & age. A company has to somehow predict a new model will have good sales potential, AND generate
sufficient net income to pay for all the development.

I wonder how many synths/workstations have been scuttled ( and some great ideas/concepts) because they failed cost justification, market turned south, components went away, some big boss didn't like it, blah, blah.

It would be great to read a book on this 1 day, as some key people
in the Big 3 have dealt with the obstacles for the past 2 decades.

It would be a great " inside baseball " book for us musicians, enthusiasts.

Yes, I know employees have to sign NDA's ( non disclosures) but at some point in the future, these great product stories should be collected & told. It would be a shame if this History was forgotten due to the Internet speed/gotta have it all right attention span, that seems to dominate the Interwebs Smile
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
The Waldorf Blofeld is very cool too, taking the PPG Wave concept into the 21st century with modeled filters and nice effects for a sound which is hard to duplicate.

I own a Blofeld and I have to disagree.

The interesting point in a Blofeld is that it packs the synth engine of a micro-Q and the synth engine of a Microwave II in a single affordable box with a minimal but well thought out user interface. So, sure, the rebirth of Waldorf and the issue of an affordable instrument that includes the best of their synthesis technology is good news.

And yes, the filters are good. To the filters of the Q it adds a modelled PPG LP filter that sounds rather close to the real thing, although its sound remains clearly digital (the PPGs had analogue filters).

The Blofeld also has a very versatile and powerful programmable arpegiator, and in multi mode each part can have its own arpegiator, so you can get something 'cracy' out of this little box!

But:

¤ the 8 bit original wavetables have been resampled to 16 bit and the transition between the waveforms during the wavetable sweeps has been smoothed out in the Blofeld synth engine compared to the former PPG and Waldorf synths; so you can't really get the typical harsch sound of the original wavetable synths out of a Blofeld (even if you use the 'Brilliance' parameter at oscillator level)

¤ the latest OS version allows the user to upload user defined wavetables (not to be confused with samples), but currently there is no convenient editor to create and to handle them, nor is there a way to create and upload UPAWs (like SoundDiver for the Microwave II)

¤ the effects are not so good: the chorus/phaser/flanger are rather passable but they don't play in the same league as the effects of a workstation

¤ the reverb is terrible: it has a strong metallic and unnatural taste; there's only one algorithm: although you can adjust some parameters (size, shape, diffusion...) you can't chose between several reverb types like hall/stage/room/plate/early ref (which should be modelled with distinct algorithms). I hope that Waldorf will fix this in a future OS, now that the major bugs have been adressed.
___

I use my Blofeld mainly as a polyphonic VA.

As to wavetable synthesis, I'm seriously considering searching a used Microwave XT...
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is where taste and preference come into the equation. Wink

Yes, the wavetables have been cleaned up and made 16 bit, with more waves in-between for smooth transitions, and tackled the horrendous aliasing of those 8 bit waves. Old school PPG Wave users lament this, but you forget how many keyboardists were writing Wolfgang Palm asking for him to produce an instrument with these very fixes. And in fact, the expensive 16 bit Waveterm system was a response to these issues.

The effects definitely aren't at the level of even a Triton - and I confess that I don't like Triton's reverb either. But they are a step up from the effects on the Origin, a $2500 synth which has effects on the level of a stomp box. Reverb basically has Size (time) and High Cut parameters, and is generic and thin sounding, best used lightly or not at all. The effects are much better on my Ensoniq Fizmo, which is in essence a Blofeld itself, but it would be nice to have a Blofeld on hand since Ensoniq doesn't exist anymore. Plus, the Fizmo requires editor software to get at all the parameters.

Improvement doesn't always mean "better" to everyone, but for most of us the Blofeld is a marvelous version of those old PPG Waves, and far more affordable too. And as I posted, if you really want to get the original sound, you can come darn close with the even cheaper PPG Wave softsynth.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got a FIZMO, unfortunately.

The Ensoniq Transwaves synthesis goes beyond PPG/Waldorf wavetable synthesis since the tables are made of 'frames' i.e. samples longer than single cycle waveforms. But it should be possible to get that sound with the Kronos' wave sequencing. All we need for that purpose is good samples of the raw 'frames' of a FIZMO and a bit programming...
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
I haven't got a FIZMO, unfortunately.

I stand corrected. Wink And I forgot that the Ensoniqs used frames rather than single cycle waveforms, along with a few other proprietary tricks. And I must say, the FIZ sounds darn good...

In any case, here's hoping that the new Roland, whatever it is, is a darn cool machine. I'd love to see Roland turn a few heads again, like they did in the old days. But I will have to say that, with all those blurry images of real instruments like saxes and drums, I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't a workstation in some form, and didn't have a sequencer, statements by SpIdErWeB to the contrary...

Although... what if it was two keyboards...? Dun dun dun...
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to those who don't share high Roland expectations.

My three years of Fantom G use have shown me a totally unprofessional company, which neither was capable of fixing all the silly issues and shortcomings of the Fantom G OS nor proved able of ANY form of modern customer communication.

They showed only two impressive things in the last twenty years: I would add the V-Piano to the Variphrase concept of the V-Synth. The Fantom G had double the potential of what they actually developed, and I regard things like V-Combo as no serious contender for Clavias keyboards, and Gaia as mediocre at best. "Halfbaked" has become the company attribute for most of what they do from my view.

So my trust that this suddenly changes for good at Musikmesse is rather small. Their abilility to listen to musicians has proved underwhelming for a long time meanwhile, while people like their former staff member Eric Persing do the really interesting stuff elsewhere.

I'm not holding my breath for whatever they will show at Musikmesse. And after my Fantom G experience I won't buy anything from them for a long time to come anyway, because I lost each bit of trust in the willingness and ability of this company to offer acceptable flagship/prime gear support.

And, just by the way, this is the sound of a VA, isn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE309uauyHg&feature=player_embedded
My bet is that they will claim it to be Jupiter-like, with expanded Variphrase on board (hence the natural instruments pictures). Just a guess... Wink
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I belong to those who don't share high Roland expectations.

My three years of Fantom G use have shown me a totally unprofessional company, which neither was capable of fixing all the silly issues and shortcomings of the Fantom G OS nor proved able of ANY form of modern customer communication.

They showed only two impressive things in the last twenty years: I would add the V-Piano to the Variphrase concept of the V-Synth. The Fantom G had double the potential of what they actually developed, and I regard things like V-Combo as no serious contender for Clavias keyboards, and Gaia as mediocre at best. "Halfbaked" has become the company attribute for most of what they do from my view.

So my trust that this suddenly changes for good at Musikmesse is rather small. Their abilility to listen to musicians has proved underwhelming for a long time meanwhile, while people like their former staff member Eric Persing do the really interesting stuff elsewhere.

I'm not holding my breath for whatever they will show at Musikmesse. And after my Fantom G experience I won't buy anything from them for a long time to come anyway, because I lost each bit of trust in the willingness and ability of this company to offer acceptable flagship/prime gear support.

And, just by the way, this is the sound of a VA, isn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE309uauyHg&feature=player_embedded
My bet is that they will claim it to be Jupiter-like, with expanded Variphrase on board (hence the natural instruments pictures). Just a guess... Wink

I agree with you about Roland and their inability or reluctance to produce
a next generation flagship workstation/monster synth.

I think economics/high cost would be the reason for Roland to not make a big move ( such as Kronos level instrument.). It would be great if Roland
surprised everyone but until they have something big to show, I am a skeptic.

IMO, posters taking the opposite tack are engaging in wishful thinking. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking, I just don't see it as a good use
of time. To each his own, as they say.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
IMO, posters taking the opposite tack are engaging in wishful thinking. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking, I just don't see it as a good use

I'd be happy with a couple of tweaks to the V-Synth GT.

...Though whether I'd be happy enough to actually buy one is another matter entirely.
zahush76

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

What, like those endless discussions of what the kronos is - before it was revealed? Wink
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:
GregC wrote:

What, like those endless discussions of what the kronos is - before it was revealed? Wink

Laughing

you predicted the Kronos in US $ last January ?
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: